“Great resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9800 Hyatt Resort Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251 (Far West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #40 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This resort is a fabulous family destination and from my visits over 8 years continues to be so. We recently spent 4 nights there along with the family dog (although they are "dog friendly" at $50 per day I think they really want your dog to stay home. As a comparison, we spent the night before arrival at The Four Seasons in Austin with $0 pet fee and a room delivery of pet bed and food/water bowls- without asking!) Yes, there is annoying construction.... But how else can a property improve without shutting the doors completely? We were initially placed in the "pet wing" on the ground floor with daily construction on the 2nd floor above us. After the first night, the construction began at 7 am. I asked the front desk if they could possibly wait until at least 8 am since we were on vacation at which I was assured would happen. Next morning construction began at 7:15. Needless to say we were not happy. Stephanie at the front desk was awesome in getting us moved to a much better (and quieter) room.
There are great kid activities, beautiful grounds and a great group of golf courses. Oh- and one of the best bellmen we have had in our travels- Gilbert! Extremely attentive each time we ran into him- not just when he was providing a service for us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you so very much for your 5 star review of our service, I was so honored to read that you found them to be "super friendly." Our team is dedicated to making every guest feel welcomed and appreciated. I have placed a copy of your wonderful comments in Gilbert's personnel file

I apologize for the rude awakening you received due to our construction schedule, I am glad to read that Stephanie was able to move you to a more quite spot. I do hope you will visit us next year when we complete our $35 million renovation and enhancement project. By October, 2013 we will have updated all guest rooms with new flooring, beds, updated furniture and fresh tile in the bathrooms, added a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide restaurant and bar to our 4-acre water playground and added a 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens.

I look forward to welcoming you next fall to see all of the amazing upgrades and enhancements to the property!

Melody Goeken, director of public relations
melody.goeken@hyatt.com
210-520-4022

814 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and our son stayed here March 27-29th and I really was eager to write this review. I'll break it into categories, because in some areas the Hyatt is spot-on. In others, they need to improve quickly, or lose guests.

1)Check - in (3 stars) : the bellman were great. they all had super attitudes and knew exactly where to go. We got the front desk and they are set up in an improvised front desk because of the construction. All of the front desk staff was helpful and they specifically put us in wing 500 and said that we wouldn't hear any of the construction. They also said its a nice room because it overlooks the lawn. Here is the problem: Our 2 year old son couldn't go to sleep because of the movie playing loudly on the lawn. I think they should have mentioned that before our stay during the check-in process. My advice, if you have little ones and they don't sleep well with loud noises, ask for a room away from the lawn. In fairness, the movie was done around 9:30pm-10pm both nights.
2)Food/Dining (2.5 stars) We had dinner and breakfast the next morning at the property. Dinner was a very bad experience. I had the roasted chicken,cream corn, mac and cheese, and my wife had the pasta with vegetables. Both meals were very plain and didn't meet our expectations. The service was very bad that night and we went 30 minutes before learning our food was almost done. We had to flag another server down just to get water. The next morning, it must have been different cooks and new waiters. The breakfast buffet is expensive ($21 / person) but it was a very nice treat to have it at least once during your stay. There is every food imaginable, fruits, omelete stations and they waitress even offered me a cappuccino. She was fabulous and our son was so happy because he was offered all kinds of juice. There are many restaurants nearby, so I would be sure to check them out if you have the time, want something less expensive and aren't impressed with the Hyatt food.
3) Grounds / activities (4 stars) This is where the property excels and will only get better when the water park is finished in the summer. The pool is great and they even have a baby pool. I wasn't able to get in the lazy river, but if it had been slightly warmer during our stay, I definitely would have. They have smores every night at 7pm which is a really cool idea and it is worth checking out. Movie night on the lawn would have been wonderful if we weren't trying to put a little one down for the night during the movie. The kids playgrounds and all of the landscaping is A++. They have other activities throughout the day, but we didn't go to any as we decided to go to Sea World.
4) Accommodations (3 stars) We stayed in a newly remodeled room and I expected it to be a little neater. It wasn't bad, just didn't look like a brand new room.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room away from the construction. Also request a room away from the lawn if you go to...
East Hills, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

we just came back for a 5 days stay at the hotel. we were there for a conference and brought the kids along. There was so much to do for them during the day. it seemed like every 1 1/2 hours there was another activity like a scavenger hunt, hula hoop races, or simon sez. at night, they had a open fire pit where we could male smores. there were movies on the lawn each night. hotel staff were very nice. lazy river lots of fun. once the waterpark renovations are done, it will be even better
would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your 5-star review of Hyatt Regency Hill Country and sharing your experience with so many others that may be looking for a fun and wonderful place to take their families on vacation.

We have great fun planned for this summer with the opening of Edge Falls, our waterpark expansion with FlowRider ® and 22’ tower slide, Radio Disney dance parties, movies on the lawn and UNDERground just for teens to our many exciting activities like ZooMagination and our weekly pool parties. There's a summer full of fun at Hyatt Hill Country!
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again very soon.

Melody Goeken
director of public relations
210-520-4022
Melody.goeken@hyatt.com
Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed at the Hill Country Resort and Spa while my husband attended a class for continuing education in his field. The hotel was at capacity because of spring break and of course, many families with kids were there. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed our stay. The hotel is huge and the outdoor space is expansive.

All hotels employees were very accommodating and friendly. We did have a couple of issues arise. In our first room, the internet signal kept disappearing so we had to change rooms. It's always a hassle to have to pack your things to move. In the next room, the internet was fine, but the shower pressure was not good. We did stay in this room for the duration. The rooms have recently been updated with new decor. We found the beds to be comfortable.

We ate in the more casual restaurant at lunch and enjoyed the food. We also ate in the high-end restaurant where the food was delicious but extremely expensive. We had steaks, two glasses of wine, and two sides for about $150.

I would return. The property was convenient to several shopping centers and other places to visit.

Room Tip: Ask about internet reception when you check in.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

we were recently there for a conference for my husband and made it a mini vacation for the family...had a suite for us and our 2 kids and had another room for the inlaws. stayed 2 years ago and it was a nicer experience back then. this time, they were renovating and also training staff and overall experience was not great. staff were friendly and nice but something was missing from the whole experience. it felt more like a luxury motel stay rather than a resort experience

I have stayed a few years ago and this time, I felt like the stay was inferior to our last stay. I dont think it had anything to do with the construction going on but I did feel there were several issues. The entrance to the parking lot was blocked by construction so it was hard to get in and out and you had to walk over a piece of land/shrubs/dirt to get to the hotel..the hotel should have put a wooden plank for a makeshift side walk so people did not have to walk on the dirt and uneven flooring and ant hills. I saw an older woman trip and almost fall. Also the pools outside were freezing for us and I could hear others commenting on how cold the water was too..they shouldve turned the heat up. Our room was not made daily although it was supposed to made in the morning and again in the evening when they 'turn down' the bed. One of the days they came but on another day I had to call them to come. They did come and the maid was super nice and friendly. I ordered a few of the free amenities, and they sent me the wrong items and not the slippers I had requested. all staff were friendly and courteous and they had great activities for the children though some of them shouldve been moved inside due to weather being cold or rainy on one of the days. the buffet breakfast was great and they were able to make us some special allergen free items that we requested.

there were not enough outlets in the rooms and the living room of the suite. the few plugs in the living room were very hard to access and couldnt even plug in our cell phones or laptop to charge and had to do it in the bedroom. our tv turned on but did not change channels and the remote did not work. the AC/heat was fine if you put it on 'auto' or 'hi' but on 'low' it made loud noises that woke me up at night!! and this was in the suite!!!. They didnt come clean the room daily, one day I had to call to request it and only 1 night out of 3 they came and turned down the bed. we were supposed to stay for 4 nights but left after 3 nights because it was not as fun as we had thought it would be.

we had an electrical issue where we lost power in the main half of the main room of our suite for half the day...so I was unable to make coffee in the morning and was worried about my items in the fridge spoiling. the maintenance guys were nice and were able to supply an extension cord so the fridge could be on while they fixed the problem. several hours later, an electrician was able to come and fix the problem. we were comped a family buffet breakfast in the springhouse cafe which was very good.

Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

When I booked this resort for our family of 5 (3 kids under 7 yrs) I knew that the resort was under renovation. Between the excellent location (right next to Sea World) and our fond memories from our stay at Lost Pines last year we figured it wouldn't be such a big deal to deal with the remodel. The reality of our stay is that we had 2 rooms and had to pay the $26 "resort fee" for both rooms which is annoying but then the main floor near the elevator was where the current change outs were happening so we had the inconvenience of walking across the hotel to a different elevator, go to our floor, then walk across the width of the hotel again to get to our room. After a long day at Sea World or even after a jaunt to the not-so-heated pool, we were put out by the additional inconvenience of not being able to go directly to our rooms. As empty as the resort was during our stay I felt that the very least the hotel should have done was to waive the resort fee as compensation for our trouble. As an aside, the toilet had the most irritating flushing sound. Perhaps it will be worth returning when the renovation is complete but this visit was simply disappointing for us. I was trying to decide between the JW Marriott nearby before I booked the Hyatt and it seems I made the wrong choice this time.

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I am a long time platinum Starwood properties member and the feeling of missing something has been stated. No one says no and Ben knew I was a seasoned traveler due to work because of my actions. I received an upgrade like I would have at a Starwood property and could not be happier. My company allows me to stay where I seem fit and this stay will make me stay at a Hyatt. Also the bartenders Justin and Jared were the best. They served me the way I would expect and accommodated me when the beer was flag due to CO2.

All and the most important moment is my daughter woke up at 800 because she wanted to play. She's 3 and usually sleeps until 10. Worth every dollar!!! March 21-23 even thought they made pick April.

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!