“used to be a better hotel, now kinda shabby” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9800 Hyatt Resort Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251 (Far West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #40 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Texas
“used to be a better hotel, now kinda shabby”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

we were recently there for a conference for my husband and made it a mini vacation for the family...had a suite for us and our 2 kids and had another room for the inlaws. stayed 2 years ago and it was a nicer experience back then. this time, they were renovating and also training staff and overall experience was not great. staff were friendly and nice but something was missing from the whole experience. it felt more like a luxury motel stay rather than a resort experience

I have stayed a few years ago and this time, I felt like the stay was inferior to our last stay. I dont think it had anything to do with the construction going on but I did feel there were several issues. The entrance to the parking lot was blocked by construction so it was hard to get in and out and you had to walk over a piece of land/shrubs/dirt to get to the hotel..the hotel should have put a wooden plank for a makeshift side walk so people did not have to walk on the dirt and uneven flooring and ant hills. I saw an older woman trip and almost fall. Also the pools outside were freezing for us and I could hear others commenting on how cold the water was too..they shouldve turned the heat up. Our room was not made daily although it was supposed to made in the morning and again in the evening when they 'turn down' the bed. One of the days they came but on another day I had to call them to come. They did come and the maid was super nice and friendly. I ordered a few of the free amenities, and they sent me the wrong items and not the slippers I had requested. all staff were friendly and courteous and they had great activities for the children though some of them shouldve been moved inside due to weather being cold or rainy on one of the days. the buffet breakfast was great and they were able to make us some special allergen free items that we requested.

there were not enough outlets in the rooms and the living room of the suite. the few plugs in the living room were very hard to access and couldnt even plug in our cell phones or laptop to charge and had to do it in the bedroom. our tv turned on but did not change channels and the remote did not work. the AC/heat was fine if you put it on 'auto' or 'hi' but on 'low' it made loud noises that woke me up at night!! and this was in the suite!!!. They didnt come clean the room daily, one day I had to call to request it and only 1 night out of 3 they came and turned down the bed. we were supposed to stay for 4 nights but left after 3 nights because it was not as fun as we had thought it would be.

we had an electrical issue where we lost power in the main half of the main room of our suite for half the day...so I was unable to make coffee in the morning and was worried about my items in the fridge spoiling. the maintenance guys were nice and were able to supply an extension cord so the fridge could be on while they fixed the problem. several hours later, an electrician was able to come and fix the problem. we were comped a family buffet breakfast in the springhouse cafe which was very good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

814 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

When I booked this resort for our family of 5 (3 kids under 7 yrs) I knew that the resort was under renovation. Between the excellent location (right next to Sea World) and our fond memories from our stay at Lost Pines last year we figured it wouldn't be such a big deal to deal with the remodel. The reality of our stay is that we had 2 rooms and had to pay the $26 "resort fee" for both rooms which is annoying but then the main floor near the elevator was where the current change outs were happening so we had the inconvenience of walking across the hotel to a different elevator, go to our floor, then walk across the width of the hotel again to get to our room. After a long day at Sea World or even after a jaunt to the not-so-heated pool, we were put out by the additional inconvenience of not being able to go directly to our rooms. As empty as the resort was during our stay I felt that the very least the hotel should have done was to waive the resort fee as compensation for our trouble. As an aside, the toilet had the most irritating flushing sound. Perhaps it will be worth returning when the renovation is complete but this visit was simply disappointing for us. I was trying to decide between the JW Marriott nearby before I booked the Hyatt and it seems I made the wrong choice this time.

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I am a long time platinum Starwood properties member and the feeling of missing something has been stated. No one says no and Ben knew I was a seasoned traveler due to work because of my actions. I received an upgrade like I would have at a Starwood property and could not be happier. My company allows me to stay where I seem fit and this stay will make me stay at a Hyatt. Also the bartenders Justin and Jared were the best. They served me the way I would expect and accommodated me when the beer was flag due to CO2.

All and the most important moment is my daughter woke up at 800 because she wanted to play. She's 3 and usually sleeps until 10. Worth every dollar!!! March 21-23 even thought they made pick April.

• Stayed April 2012
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We visited for Spring Break and the resort had activities EVERY hour for the kids (scavenger hunts, necklace making, etc...). Our room over looked the giant yard and my kids enjoyed the nightly smores and movies on the lawn. We had a great time. I thought the lazy river could have been a bit cleaner (leaves and such).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your 5 star review of your recent Hill Country visit! I apologize for the leaves in the Ramblin' River, during your stay we experienced several windy days and with the weather fluctuating between cold and warm our trees experienced a late season leaf drop. We did have full time staff around our pools cleaning, but we simply were not able to keep up.

I am thrilled to read that your family had a great time over Spring Break. Our recreation team does an amazing job of creating fun activities for our guests.

I hope you will plan to visit us next fall to see all of the amazing upgrades and enhancements to the property!

By the beginning of May we will have refreshed all guest rooms with new flooring, wall coverings, Hyatt Grand beds, and fresh tile in the bathrooms. Over Memorial Day weekend we will open Edge Falls, the expansion of our 5 acre park featuring a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide, and Vince’s Watering Hole restaurant and bar. Our outdoors will have been enhanced with additional lighting and landscaping and in the fall we will unveil a brand new 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens.

We look forward to welcoming you again.
Melody Goeken, director of public relations
melody.goeken@hyatt.com
210-520-4022
Anchorage
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband, daughter, and I stayed at this resort during a conference recently, and I was appalled by the uncleanliness of the rooms. We were "upgraded" from our double queen room with a moldy shower to a "suite" overlooking the lawn that had the dirtiest carpet I have ever seen. Not only was it not vacuumed between occupants (I found popcorn and safety pins on the floor under the sofa), but when I complained to the front desk, the housekeeping staff simply ran the vacuum around the middle of the main room. The entire outer perimeter of the living room and bedroom were still covered in filth. (I know because a sliver of apple that I had purposely left on the floor next to the trash can was still there four days later). Day #3 I killed a cockroach on the bathroom floor. If the conference is held there again, we will stay at the Holiday Inn down the road and commute in for lecture before staying at the Hyatt Regency again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
First and foremost, please accept my sincere apology on behalf of the entire resort for the your guestroom experience during your recent business trip. Guestroom cleanliness is extremely important to us and I apologize that your room was not in the pristine condition we are noted for.

We strive to provide each guest with a positively memorable experience and it is clear to me that we did not deliver this to you. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally about the specifics of your guestroom. I can be reached by phone or by email at our convenience.

Melody Goeken, director of public relations
melody.goeken@hyatt.com
210-520-4022
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I booked this hotel when another chain canceled my reservation. I work in San Antonio often, and need a place that is accessible, clean, and reasonably priced. Hyatt Hill Country resort met all those requirements, and then some. The staff was very friendly and helpful, restaurant served great food (buffet and special order), and the room was perfect.

Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort while he attended a meeting here.
The good: We were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a suite. The room is very nice, clean and comfortable. We have a large balcony looking over "the lawn". It is a nice view. The staff have all been very pleasant and helpful. We didn't have any problems with construction noise, as some reviewers have stated, but maybe they have finished with the room renovations. We could hear some construction equipment out where they are building the water park but it was not a problem. We purchased food items in the general store, not inexpensive but what you expect for a resort and quite tasty. We also ate in the Springhouse restaurant. Again, what you would expect to pay at a resort and quite good. They even had a gluten free dessert. There are a lot of families with children here and the hotel seems very family friendly, even showing "Finding Nemo" on the big screen on The Lawn last night. There seem to be a lot of activities for families as well as things for adults...golf and the spa being the foremost.
The not so good: One would think with all the renovations they are doing they would have done something about sound proofing the rooms. I have heard the man upstairs using the bathroom multiple times, clearly heard a conversation a lady in the next room was having on the phone and the maids outside in the hallway. Also, on Sunday, at about 8 a.m. they yard guys were using their leaf blowers. I personally think that is early for a Sunday morning.
The hotel over all is very nice. We would recommend it to anyone wanting a resort in the San Antonio area.

Room Tip: I think any room looking out onto the lawn would be a good room if you want a room with a view.