“pros: location and movies on lawn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9800 Hyatt Resort Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251 (Far West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #46 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
houston
“pros: location and movies on lawn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We have stayed here several times and this past long weekend we stayed in one of the "hill country suites". This time, while the usual pros were as good as they always are (proximity to Sea World, the movies on the lawn, the 'smores, the hotel's lobby with holiday decorations, Antlers restaurant, (we ended up going 2 x @$380 per bill for 4 of us, but the elk and antelope were incredible and worth every penny!!).. there were a a couple of things which made me less excited about the resort this time.

The bedroom: when we got into bed, we noticed an odd odor from the bed. We checked and the sheets were clean but when we pulled back the sheets and mattress cover, the smell from the bed was as if someone had had an "accident" and it had indeed been cleaned up but they couldn't remove all of the smell. The mattress and mattress cover were clean so unless you have a very acute sense of smell and actually smelled the mattress (yep, we did to try and figure it out), it may go unnoticed by housekeeping staff who dutifully changes the sheets etc.

We have young kids but we have taught them to be conscientious of others in hotels and for this reason we can take them anywhere without ever worrying that they will be obnoxious and ruin any one else's' vacation. Many parents however, do not seem to care and in a hotel that is dedicated to families with children mostly going to Sea World, that can be a bit overwhelming. One suggestion is perhaps a note at check in reminding families, that there are other people in the hotel and to try to help keep their children a little less rowdy between 11pm - 9am. The family next to us on our right (living room side) had two young children that would begin fighting and screaming at about 7:30am and the parents didn't seem to care, they just let it continue on and on. Then the room on our left (on the bedroom side) had a baby and what sounded like two young kids, they also were very loud starting at about 7am. So basically despite getting one of the best suites, there was no hope at all of ever sleeping past 7am.

While this is not the hotel's fault but rather due to poor parenting, perhaps a reminder to checking in families that it is a hotel with other guests and thus kids being quiet and considerate, would be appreciated.

Basically unless you have kids and are planning to do SeaWorld, I would not suggest staying here as a couple!! It is unlikely to be romantic or quiet. As a family however, it is a very good spot to use as a base for Sea World. The lazy river pool is nice at night in the Fall/Winter as it is heated and un crowded but in the summer it is WAY too small for the amount of hotel guests on property.

We spent $1700 for two nights, was it worth it? Probably due to proximity to Sea World but to us, the rooms felt a little less clean somehow this time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your most recent stay. On behalf of the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. We strive to provide each guest with a pristine and clean guestroom, and it is clear to me that we did not deliver this to you. I have passed on your detailed comments to our housekeeping department to ensure that these issues are addressed. Please know that we take your feedback seriously. I have shared your concerns about the early morning noise with our front office teams so that they can come up with some possible solutions so that type of interruption can be reduced.

I do hope you will visit us next year when we complete our $35 million renovation and enhancement project. By October, 2013 we will have updated all guest rooms with new flooring, Grand beds, updated furniture and fresh tile in the bathrooms. We will have expanded our 4-acre water playground to 5 acres with the addition of a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide, and restaurant and bar as well as additional bathrooms. We are building an additional 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens. Our outdoors will be enhanced with additional lighting and landscaping.

I hope you will plan to visit us next fall to see all of the amazing upgrades and enhancements to the property!

797 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Was here for a conference. Food was good but prices a little high but I guess one should expect that at a resort. A little far out of the way from everything if that is what you are looking for. Rooms are nice size and I enjoyed being able to open my balcony door and let the cool breeze come into the room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent visit to the Hyatt Hill Country. I hope your meeting was a tremendous success.

I do hope you will visit us next year when we complete our $35 million renovation and enhancement project. By October, 2013 we will have updated all guest rooms with new flooring, beds, updated furniture and fresh tile in the bathrooms, added a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide restaurant and bar to our 4-acre water playground and added a 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens. Our outdoors will be enhanced with additional lighting and landscaping.

melody.goeken@hyatt
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here because it looked like a great resort, however when we got there that is when the stay turned crappy. The Pool was completely dirty, filthy, like never maintained. The grounds smelled due to all the mulch they had just laid down. Why don't you try to use rubber mulch next time, it pays for itself in just two years and lasts forever. The bed was AWFUL!!!! It was not comfy at all. The rooms were small for the price, and I know I have stayed at a La Quinta with better rooms. As a Hyatt Gold member, I found it to be completely unacceptable. The manager was rude as well, completely unaccommodating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your experience as a Gold Passport member. Please accept my apology on behalf of the resort that we did not deliver the experience or recognition that you deserve as a loyal Hyatt traveler. We strive to provide special recognition and appreciation to all of our GP members and we clearly did not deliver this to you.

I apologize for the experience you had with one of our managers, and would welcome the opportunity to speak to you regarding the specifics of your interaction.

The our pools are tinted to give the illusion of Hill Country rivers, so they do not sparkle like a pool that has a stark white or pale blue tinting. Our chemical levels are continuously checked throughout the day to maintain a clean and safe water experience for our guests. I apologize for the odor of the freshly laid mulch, this is part of our enhancement project and will help to maintain the ground moisture and reduce the need for watering in those areas.

I do hope you will visit us next year when we complete our $35 million renovation and enhancement project. By October, 2013 we will have updated all guest rooms with new wall-coverings, flooring, Grand beds, updated furniture and fresh tile in the bathrooms, added a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide restaurant and bar to our 4-acre water playground and added a 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens.

Your loyalty as a Hyatt guest is truly appreciated.

Key West
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed here for a conference and was not in my room much. However, if I had been, I would have been very upset. There was a jackhammer being used right below my room during the day! Imagine if I had planned on sleeping in or relaxing in the room? I think I would have been pretty disappointed.

The hotel does say it is under construction on the web site, but you would think they would close off the areas with the noisiest work and sacrifice some room revenue to assure happy customers.

The room was a bit dated, but they are being renovated. Everything was clean and comfortable. The staff was very nice and perhaps if I had asked to be moved, I could have had a quieter room. As I said, I was at a conference so it did not matter too much. Just be sure you ask about noise at check in.

The food and bars we went to were very good. I imagine once the renovations are complete, this will be a great place to stay. However, I don't think I would stay there in the meantime.

Finally, the rooms are very different. Some of my colleagues had larger rooms with patios or terraces. My room had no outdoor space. Be sure to call reservations to get the amenities you want.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post comments from your recent Hill Country visit. Allow me to apologize on behalf of the resort for the inconvenience you experienced due to our enhancement project. We have taken many of our rooms out of service to have a buffer between guestrooms and the activity of the construction, which obviously did not work in this instance. I have shared your comments with our construction manager to see what else can be done to reduce the impact. We strive to provide an exceptional experience to each and every guest and it is clear to me that we did not deliver that to you.

Once the various projects are completed we will have updated all guest rooms with new flooring, beds, updated furniture and fresh tile in the bathrooms, added a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide, poolside restaurant and bar to our 5-acre water playground and added a 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens. Our outdoors will be enhanced with additional lighting and landscaping.

Fairway, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently helped host a day and a half business meeting at the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort & Spa. Whether traveling on business or leisure, the property is fantastic and the team is world-class.

One element of note is that the property is undergoing a significant enhancement, including updates to some of the guest rooms, pool area, addition of a larger ballroom and landscaping. Though this did not impact our experience, it may have minor impacts (i.e. closed pools) for anyone traveling on holiday.

From a meeting perspective, the only flaw was the expansiveness of the resort - plenty of signage is needed to ensure attendees find their way and rest assured, everyone will get their 10,000 steps / day in.

All of the food was FANTASTIC! We did a welcome reception, breakfast and lunch and none of them let us down. Of note was beef carving and avocado action stations at the reception. The tenderloin was some of the best I have ever had and the uniqueness of the avocado station added conversation to the evening.

Though the facility and food were top-notch, it truly was the Hyatt team who shined. The below Hyatt associates deserved to be recognized and if you have the pleasure of working with them, will ensure you have a world-class experience in San Antonio:

Convention and Meeting Services: Jaime, Anthony, Matthew and Val
Front Desk: Bhumi and Alexis
Valet: David
Bell Desk: Gilbert

Overall, the Hyatt offers some unique San Antonio charm and the team ensures that Texas hospitality is extended to all guests!

Room Tip: If traveling on business or meetings in the Hyatt Regency event space, be sure to request a room nea...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so very much for your wonderful 5 star review. I so appreciate you taking the time to mention specific associates that provided excellent service to you. I will make sure that a copy of your kind review is placed into their respective HR employee files. I will also make sure they see your wonderful comments.

Our Hill Country family works very hard to ensure that each attendee has a memorable meeting experience, and I am thrilled that we delivered that to your group.

I did take note of your suggestion for groups to have additional signage and will discuss this with our director of catering and convention services to see what we may be able to implement to better direct attendees. I have taken the liberty of sharing your stellar comments with our culinary team, they will be so proud of your generous comments.

By October 2013 we will have updated all guest rooms with new flooring, beds, updated furniture and fresh tile in the bathrooms, added a FlowRider®( am seeing a group tem building surf competitiion!) 22' tower slide, restaurant and bar to our 5-acre water playground and added a 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens.

We truly appreciate your business and sincerely hope to welcome you and your group back again very soon.

Conway, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I know experiences differ, but I'm surprised to see almost anything but a positive review here. Our family came last summer with the primary purposes of visiting Sea World and enjoying the resort. Neither disappointed. The proximity to Sea World is very reasonable. The resort itself is situated of a portion of very upscale unspoiled land. The southwestern theme is (also this sounds like an oxymoron) understated, but Texan. Our family LOVED the lazy river with its overhanging bower of greenery. There is a pool for almost every taste. And speaking of literal taste, the nightly "S"mores" were the absolute biggest hit with the younger set. The buffets are a bit pricey, but we enjoyed them so much that we ate there every night but one. This is a very terrific, very Texan place. Thumbs up!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review, I am thrilled and humbled to read about your experience.

I do hope you will visit again in 2013, we have so many exciting changes taking place, including updating all of our guest rooms with new flooring, beds, updated furniture and fresh tile in the bathrooms, added a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide restaurant and bar to our 4-acre water playground and added a 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens. Our outdoors will be enhanced with additional lighting and landscaping as well.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Visited San Antonio for the first time with my boyfriend and staying at the Hyatt was amazing. Exemplary staff! So friendly and helpful. Our room was beautiful, food was excellent, lots of things to do at the resort. Just an overall great stay. Shout out to Alexis at the front desk for great service!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for the review of your recent visit, I was so proud to read your comments about our Alexis. Our Hill Country family works very hard to ensure that each guest has a memorable visit, and I am thrilled that we delivered that to you. I have sent a copy of your review to her manager and to our HR department to have your generous comments added to her personnel file.

I do hope you will return again next year to see all of the $35 million enhancements we are adding! By October 2013 we will have updated all guest rooms with new flooring, beds, updated furniture and fresh tile in the bathrooms, added a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide restaurant and bar to our 4-acre water playground and added a 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens. Our outdoors will be enhanced with additional lighting and landscaping as well.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

210-520-4022

Been to Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!