“Nice hotel for a conference” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9800 Hyatt Resort Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251 (Far West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #13 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mid Florida, Florida
“Nice hotel for a conference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Had a nice 2 day stay while attending a small conference. Nice rooms and facilities. The Antler Lodge was a treat for a business dinner. I will have to come back with my family and play golf. Staff helped out in a couple tight scheduling spots. Thanks!

• Stayed August 2012
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for our 4 star review of your recent visit. I am glad you were able to enjoy the resort when not in your conference. Antlers Lodge is indeed a treat! My favorite is the chorizo grits, a perfect complement to almost anything on the menu.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

210-520-4022

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
DFW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We took an extended family vacation here last Labor Day (2011) and really enjoyed it. The pool area is a blast for kids and adults alike with a giant lazy river (that even splits off halfway around for a little swim-up bar action), water tubes, water basketball, huge hot tubs with waterfall, and plenty of lounge chairs. This resort is set amongst thick beautiful trees so there were quite a few leaves in the pools along with the scenic beauty but they were trying to stay on top if it. They have a kids' movie on the lawn at night where families gather on homespun blankets to watch. They had horseshoes, a s'mores cookout, hammocks, walking trails, and even a mini petting zoo. My mother and I spent some time at the spa. What I remember most about that experience was the extra time spent at the private spa pool and hammock before and after my treatment. It's set away from all kiddie activities and was quiet and peaceful. The buffet dinner was always delicious, varied and plentiful. Customer service is top notch here with many a friendly face to assist or offer suggestions on activities. While the resort is beautiful, the atmosphere is casual and oriented toward families and kids in particular. I referred a friend here recently and she and her children loved it!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the wonderfully detailed 5 star review of your 2011 Labor Day weekend visit. I was thrilled to read that your family enjoyed your visit so much that you referred Hyatt Hill Country to your friends. Those referrals mean to much to us and are greatly appreciated.

I hope you won't let another year pass without visiting us!

Jekyll Island, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I spent this past week staying at this resort while working in the San Antonio area. I was able to get a room at the government rate, which is a steep discount from their regular rack rate. Unfortunately, in my opinion, I also got a sub-standard room. The drapes in my room did not fully close - there was a gap of over a foot that just had sheers covering the window, so I never had a fully dark room. Each morning I heard the staff throw the newspaper down in front of my door.The bed was really soft -- definitely not to my liking, nor one of their signature mattresses. One of my desk/dining chairs had springs coming out - impossible to sit in. On top of this, the path from the hotel to the self parking area is very poorly lit making it very dangerous to walk to your car in the early mornings or late at night. I also had issues with their General Store, a combination gift and snack shop, that is supposed to be open daily at 6am. As you can guess, this did not happen for most of my stay; one day I gave up at 6:15 when the doors were still locked. All this was passed on to the staff when I checked out. That said, this is a very nice resort with beautiful pools, a lazy river, common areas, etc. Lot's of activities are held throughout the day for families, ideal for folks on vacation which is who this resort caters to, and of course golfers. Most of the staff were very friendly, especially the front desk personnel. I do try to stay at Hyatt's when I travel, and this was the only one in the area that I could get a reservation at for my travel period. My preference would have been one of their properties near the River Walk. Due to my bad experiences, I would not recommend this resort for business travelers.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on one of the higher floors - probably would be much more quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for alerting me to the many problems you had during your recent visit. I apologize for the difficulties you had with your guestroom and with accessing our General Store.

This is certainly not our standard nor is it the way we want our valued guests to feel when looking back on their Hill Country experience.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity to earn your business again.

The Woodlands, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

It's our third year now going to this resort and we love it so much that this has become our family's special place to celebrate our youngest child's summer birthday. We have never been disappointed with this resort, nor had we ever had a cause for complaint. They have something for everybody: golf for the dads, spa for the moms, tons of kids' activities for the little ones. Service is always superb and the staff always go the extra mile to make sure their guests are having a wonderful time. Last year, they brought out watermelons by the pool and served everyone. This year, they gave away Popsicle. The rooms are always very clean and this year, we had housekeeping knock on our door late in the afternoon to ask if we need anything extra, like toothpaste or towels. But of course, the thing we love most about this place is the lazy river. A word of warning, though: This area of the resort is just too much fun for kids that it can get really crazy at times. A reviewer remarked that the lazy river can get congested and that is true. If you are the sort who minds little kids running around, splashing water and having the best time of their lives, steer clear from this area. There is an adult pool nearby, just off the cabanas, where you can have peace and quiet. My husband and I, however, delight in seeing little children laugh and treat this area like their big playground, so we really enjoy hanging around here, sitting on the comfortable lounge chairs under the shade of trees, sipping our Texas Tea. Ah, bliss! We'll be back again next year, that's for sure!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
I am thrilled and humbled with your generous 5 star review of your recent visit.

We appreciate your continued loyalty and enthusiasm for our resort.

We look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Arrived early on a Saturday and. Checked in at about noon and our room was ready, clean and well appointed with a balcony but not much of a view.

Headed down to the pool area and found a sea of crazyness and no place to sit. Finally found the adults only pool and was in paradise. If you do not have kids with you you need to find this pool! Repeat Find this pool! If you have kids keep them out of this area because they will get kicked out by the hotel staff. Had a great day lounging around the pools sipping cool drinks. On the lazy river there is no need to get off of you tube to get a drink since there is a "float thru" bar. As at any hotel your bar bill will be high.

Ate at the restaurant on the golf resort side of the hotel (forgot the name) and had a very nice meal with good service.

Lot's of fun stuff for the kids all day long. S'mores and an outdoor movie in the evening.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your wonderful 4 star review of your recent visit.

We have always been known for our family-friendliness and many couples would not consider us for a romantic getaway and I am so glad that you did! The Texas pool is a great place to escape the exuberance of the activity pool, next time you might also purchase a day pass to Windflower-The Hill Country Spa, where you can access the adults-only lap pool, eucalyptus steam and sauna! In the fall months the resort truly becomes an adult haven, most of the children are still in school and the Ramblin' River is a fabulous way to relax.

I hope you will visit us again very soon.

Dallas Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Hyatt Hill Country Resort and Spa is a “Must Stay” place to stay if you or your child has Food Allergies! We were discouraged at first when researching as prior reviews had negative reviews stating options were limited. We experienced exactly the opposite!!

Our 6yr old daughter is allergic to eggs, dairy, and tree nuts. I know what you are thinking….what the heck did she eat? I am a very happy Mom whose daughter had a blast enjoying her vacation eating So Delicious yogurt, cereal with soy milk, fresh oven warmed bagels, baguettes and flat breads with Earth Balance butter or Tofutti cream cheese and tasty fruit preserves, Nitrate Free turkey hot dogs, pizza with Soy Cheese and Pepperoni, pasta, grilled chicken, fresh organic fruits and veggies, dairy free Chocolate Ice Cream and the list goes on and on….. It was a great balance of fun kid foods with the mom approved healthy seal!

Tips:

1. Let the hotel know that we had a special dietary need at the time of reservation. Thank you Tory (Reservations Manager). She was wonderful at helping us connect with Chef Troy and Chef Brenden. Thank you again for answering all our questions.

2. Email the Chefs at the restaurant you will be eating at (Springhouse Café in our case) before your trip. Ask questions about types of foods available so that you are not surprised or disappointed when you get there or feel limited because of food allergies. The chefs personally made all our little girl’s entrees to ensure that was no cross contamination.

3. Relax and enjoy your vacation because you and the culinary team did prep work ahead of time!

The culinary team is awesome! Thank you especially to Chef Brenden who went above and beyond in answering our questions and personally making sure that were all kinds of treats and meals that were Allergy Safe. Words are not enough. Thanks to Brenden, we actually got to relax and enjoy our vacation instead of worrying about what and where Hannah would eat at every meal. The Hyatt is very lucky to have Chef Brenden on staff. Chef Troy, Chef Brenden, and Tory did an awesome job in communicating our special dietary needs. Everyone at the Springhouse Café and Regency Club was genuinely sincere in ensuring there was a variety of foods and that there was no cross contamination. Thank you also to Chef Nicole and Abraham! The Culinary Team is first class!

Now the rest of the hotel. The room was great! We had a double-double on the 4th flr overlooking the lawn and Aunt Mary’s porch. Perfect location for us! Rooms were quiet with just enough action to check out what was happening outside our balcony. Bathroom was a little small, but we were only in there long enough to cleaned up and get out and experience the tons of activity at the resort! We swam, biked, and nature walked every day! We had to stay active since the breakfasts, appetizers, and desserts in the Regency Club are awesome! Well worth the upgrade. Thank you Kathryn, Hailey, and Vanessa from Regency Club. You will never find kinder, sweeter or hardworking hostesses. They do a tremendous job at the Club. I don’t think I ever saw the food tables empty or a dirty dish. Thank you to the young lady at the Ice Cream shoppe. You were so sweet and patient while we checked ingredients in the waffle cone (btw, they are egg, dairy free - yeah!) Housekeeping did a great job (Velia was super fast and very thorough). The Bellman were terrific and so was the guard at the front. Everyone was so friendly. You could tell they wanted to make sure guests were taken care of! We certainly felt that way. Before we left, we decided to make this our place to return and reconnect as a family. Looking forward to seeing the hotel after the renovations next summer!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
WOW! Thank you so very much for your 5 Star review of your recent visit.

I know it must be very challenging to vacation when worried about life-threatening food allergies. Our culinary team is quite experienced in working with families such as yours, and we take each concern very seriously.

I am so proud of our team for making your daughter's visit a happy and SAFE one.

I appreciated your detailed tips. It is vital that guests with these allergies notify us prior to arrival to ensure that we have the proper ingredients stocked and that each restaurant's kitchen staff is properly educated on the specific needs of the guest.

I have shared your wonderful comments with everyone you mentioned in your review.

We are looking forward to having you return next summer.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is our second visit to this Resort. Our last visit was almost 10 years ago. Meant to return earlier but . . . life happens. There's only my husband and myself so we were definitely outnumbered by families, primarily it seemed, with toddlers. Delightfully entertaining to watch. And the resort is really their playground. Thankfully, we were able to use the Regency Club when we were told it would be a half hour wait for breakfast at the restaurant. The latter was probably the worst thing we experienced on our weekend stay. Wait, and the slamming doors in the adjacent rooms - the hotel should adjust the door closers! The hotel is almost 20 years old and shows a little wear - the little rugrats running up and down the halls pulling at the wallpaper - but the Bluebonnet / Indian paintbrush carpet is still lovely. And the grounds are, what else, Texas Hill Country. It's nice that the Windflower Spa is outside in its own building. We would return, but probably not at "high" season, when it's a little a quieter.

Room Tip: If you can, avoid rooms in the cross corridor wings: for example, the 700 wing leads to both the 80...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review of your recent Hill Country visit, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with other travelers.

We are working on the door closure mechanism to reduce the slamming door effect. Our youngest guests can be quite exuberant when heading to the Ramblin' River.

I would welcome the opportunity to understand what happened with your visit to Regency Club as from your comments the experience was not what you were expecting. My email address is listed below my name if you would be willing to share your thoughts with me.

For the past few months we have been working with an interior design firm that specializes in resort design to see how our guestrooms could be enhanced. We have several amazing designs that are being carefully considered. Our landscape is in the midst of a tremendous enhancement project; we are adding more drought tolerant plants and have removed water-wasting invasive species. In next few months guests will see a tremendous change with fall colors and nighttime lighting.

In planning your next Hill Country vacation, you may want to consider visiting us over a fall weekend, or mid-week in October or November. When the majority of families are involved in school activities and not traveling as much.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

melody.goeken@hyatt.com

Been to Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!