“Natural beauty, excellent service, wonderful lazy river and pool for the family” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9800 Hyatt Resort Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251 (Far West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #7 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel twice, both times were a wonderful experience for our family. It has a luxury resort feel, but is very relaxed and fun for the family. Be sure to spend time on the lazy river, floating, enjoying a pina colada, and building sand castles with the kids on the "beach". At night, catch a movie on the lawn or enjoy the fire pit and smores service. Expensive, but check travelzoo for occasional specials.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent summer vacation experience and for recognizing the many family-friendly activities we offer throughout the summer.

Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort, we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Melody Goeken, director of public relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here. Our kids really enjoyed the pool/lazy river. My only complaint about the pool area is that there are no lifeguards on duty. I would feel FAR more comfortable if the resort actually offered life guards. The kids really enjoyed the playground area where there was a tether ball pole and ping pong table. The breakfast buffet was delicious and we all enjoyed it!

Don't forget that when you stay you can also visit the resort pool at the Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch right down the street. Our kids LOVED the pool there. 2 really fun water slides and a lazy river as well. Again, no lifeguard. More than once there was a group of kids climbing UP a HUGE water slide. Very frustrating that there was not a single person monitoring either one.

Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We reserved 2 rooms that were connecting. We had 4 children, their father, and my husband and me. I called and talked to the front desk clerk to get assurance that the rooms would be connecting because the smaller children needed to be able to find there dad during the night. When we checked in one of the rooms was ready but the connecting room was not. Were were told we would have 3312 and 3311 and that we could shut the outside doors and lock them so our doors could be probed open for the children to move between each of the room safely. When we picked up the second room keys they were for 3314 which was not connecting. At that time the same desk clerk told me there were no connecting rooms and she was sorry. We were lied to and this caused us a great deal of issues with the children.

The front desk charged the wrong credit card on our departure. I spoke to Carl who was going to make the correction but he made a mistake and double billed us on the wrong card. I now have to call again to get this fixed.
Sheets are rough and scratchy and the toilet paper feels like sandpaper. This is supposed to be a 5 star hotel and you are using the cheapest linens, toilet paper is scratchy, and the towels smell.

I was charged 19.96 for printing 1 page. This is ridiculous. I never have to pay for computer and copying in any other hotel I visit.

The children wanted to ride bikes but they were never unlocked.

We have stayed in your hotel several times in the last 10 years and we never had issues. We were planning on such a wonderful get away with our grandchildren but we were totally disappointed. When we come to SA we will be staying in other hotels and when we want to stay at a Hyatt we will go back to Lost Pines because they are totally professional and the staff always remembers us. We have never been so disappointed with a hotel.

Room Tip: You can’t depend on them assigning you the room you want so don’t bother.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
First and foremost, please accept my sincere apology on behalf of the entire resort for your experience regarding your recent stay. Our goal is for you to have an enjoyable, relaxing and wonderful experience throughout the resort and obviously we did not deliver this to you.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what happened so that we can work to ensure this does not happen to another guest. Your business is very important to us and I want to assure you that we will address your issues with the request for connecting rooms and problems with billing and will take immediate steps to ensure that no other guest experiences what you did.

As a loyal Hill Country guest, I hope that you will be willing to provide us another opportunity to deliver the experience you should have received. Please contact me personally to help arrange for your next visit, melody.goeken@hyatt.com and I assure you we will not make the same mistakes.

austin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

This resort is alright -- but honestly, if you plan to go for a pool experience this is NOT the place! Its very odd actually, the bottom of the pool and lazy river is dark so the entire thing looks like a river. It's not bright, sparkling, or inviting. The pool itself is a mess -- it's more of an activity pool. There are tons of people playing water basketball etc and you can't just go in to sit/relax at all. The rooms are fine, like others have stated, they are outdated. Whoever put up the wallpaper should be slapped. The walls are thin so expect to be woken up EARLY. The food is good but SUPER PRICEY - we're talking $80 for some nachos and chicken strips by the pool. We were going with the thought that it would be similar to Lost Pines....not at all. The extra cost of Lost Pines is so worth it. The grounds at the Hill Country Hyatt leave much to be desired, not very well kept. The only saving grace here is that they give you wristbands to use the facilities at the Wild Oak Hyatt which is approx a mile away. We went over just to see if it was 'better' and YES IT WAS. The pool is AWESOME, its an indoor/outdoor, they have a small splash pad for the kids inside, two great water slides, one inside and one outside and a GREAT lazy river. I can't comment on their rooms though -- but it is more of a condo/timeshare environment vs a resort. We ended spending the remainder of our time at Wild Oak and only went to Hill Country to sleep. Wild Oak also has full showers in the pool area so you can easily spend the day and then shower there -- soap, shampoo, conditioner etc available. The food at Wild Oak was very good but also pricey. Hill Country Hyatt -- been there, done that, check the box...done!

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor are much more convenient to the pool/restaurant areas. The 'Regency...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post fdeedback about your recent Hill Country visit.

I am sorry to read that you will not be returning. We have so many enhancements scheduled for next year. Our exterior lighting and landscaping project continues to remove all of the underbrush and invasive species trees, once complete the resort will have a distinctly different look. We have been working closely with an international design firm that specializes in resort guestrooms and are considering several options.

Our river and pools were tinted prior to opening, not only to give our water features a "Texas river" feel, but also to prevent the sun exposure that can come from a white-bottomed pool. Our activity pool is usually filled with guests and the pool deck can be quite busy. We do offer an adults-only pool on the other side, where the seating and pool are serene and somewhat isolated from the activity pool and river area.

Thank you for mentioning the quality of our poolside food our culinary team work diligently to ensure that our food tastes delicious! I am concerned about the total charges your referenced as an order of nachos and chicken strips should not have been anywhere near $80! I would welcome the opportunity to see the charges so the bill can be revised. You may send a copy to me via email: melody.goeken@hyatt.com

I apologize for the areas where we fell short during your stay, I have shared your comments with our executive team and please know we will work hard to address each concern. I hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to earn your business and your trust.

sunrmagc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Have been going here each summer for the past 6 or 7 years. Always go with 3 or 4 families. For the first time we left pretty dissapointed. My reviews in the past were always very positive, but not any longer. We got what we considered a great deal by bidding on Priceline compared to what we were used to spending but felt like it was too much once we got there. We joked all week about "The Resort That Priceline Killed", as it no longer seemed like an upscale resort. Will be looking for a new place next year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
I hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to earn your business, we are working diligently to update and upgrade the property, including the landscaping, guest rooms and public areas.

We have begun the landscape and lighting project which will give the hotel a fresh look and feel, we have also been working with a high-end design firm to see how our guestrooms can be enhanced, we have several options that are being considered, and we hope to announce something very soon.

Please know how much we value our repeat guests and we would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back again next summer.

Tyler, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed recently at the Hyatt Hill Country. The Hyatt is a great place for families with kids. There are many safe activities for children. Our room was adequate as far as amenities go and they are now offering free Internet.
I did have a problem with my room rate. I was attending a seminar with a group that had obtained a group rate of $215 per night. When I called the Hyatt to reserve my room, I was told by the reservationist that all the rooms in that category were booked except for a $305 premium room. It is called a premium room because it is on the first-floor. I reserved the room. The month before I was due to attend the seminar, I noticed that my credit card had been charged by the Hyatt. Hyatt has a no cancellation policy. I looked at my reservation and realized that the reservationist had made my reservation for the months before the seminar. When I called, I talked to Rachel who was very helpful and reversed the charges for the room. Rachel told me that I would have to go back through reservations to get the room for the next month. When I called reservations, I was told the same things as before e.g. all the rooms in that category were taken that month also except for a $305 premium room. I again reserved that room.
Shortly before I was to leave for San Antonio, I received an e-mail from one of the travel services that I use that Hyatt was having a sale on their rooms at the Hyatt Hill Country and that there were plenty of rooms for as little as $157 a night all the way up to $225 a night for a suite. Coincidentally, I received an e-mail from Erica Thompson from the Hyatt Hill Country saying that they were looking forward to my upcoming visit and if I needed anything to let her know. I sent her an e-mail telling her of the situation I had with reservations telling me that there were no rooms available except for the $305 room while at the same time Hyatt was offering rooms starting at $157 going up to 225 for a suite. Of course, Erica Thompson never responded.
If you plan to use the Hyatt Hill Country, I would suggest that you not go through the reservations office there but book your room online. Otherwise, you too may be told that "the only room available" is the $305 premium room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your recent Hill Country visit, your comments allow us to see where we fell short in our interaction with you and how we can improve our customer service going forward..

At times we do offer promotional rates that have various rules/restrictions and are based upon availability, which may explain the difference in the rates you were quoted, group rates are based on the number of rooms and room nights and often can be less than the rate for an individual room.

I sincerely apologize that you did not receive a follow-up email. I can assure you that we will coach all of our reservations team to ensure that immediate follow-up with our guests does occur going forward.

I encourage you to contact our reservations manager, Torie Gotaas, with the specifics of your interaction with our reservations team. Torie.Gotaas@hyatt.com

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience so that we may improve.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a couple days at the Hill Country resort while in San Antonio for business. The service we received was top notch with all the employees very helpful and friendly. Our room was nice, although pretty thin walls. The lazy river was like floating through a slow moving river in Texas with plenty of shade, natural Texas landscape and "bug" noises - relaxing. There were alot of families with all ages of children all having a great time. I went to the spa, which was very nice and relaxing. There is also an adult "lap" pool and spa that adults can go when paying for a spa service. This was nice because I never did find an "adult" pool area near the lazy river so always lots of kids and noise. There were plenty of tubes, towels and chairs, but never could get a drink so when I went up to the bar, I was still charged a "service" fee for the drink? Drinks were pretty small and pricy. We enjoyed the buffet dinner, which was nice, but with all the kids/families it felt like we were staying at a Disney resort. I guess if you want a more intimate dinner for couples, you should go to the upscale on-site restaurant for much more $$$. It is a nice family resort, although I've also been to the Marriot resort in SA and think it offers more entertainment for kids and a much bigger lazy river - didn't feel as much like a "kid" resort either. I would prefer it, but then, I didn't go with kids. I like that the Marriot resort also has water slides so think kids would also like it better, but it is also much more expensive. All over a good family resort catered to kids.

Room Tip: Good luck finding a quiet room - lots of kids at this resort and they ask people to be quiet so kids...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple