“our "go to" getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9800 Hyatt Resort Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251 (Far West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Shopping Package
Ranked #27 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“our "go to" getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We have made a yearly trip to this resort for the past three years with our young children (ages 6 and 4). By far the best experience that we have had was our last trip where we upgraded to the ground floor, nearest to the playground and pool. We requested the corner room with patio doors that let them run out to climb and slide to their hearts' content. The room was a tad smaller than I would have liked, but the proximity to the playground won us over. I know that it sounds silly, but for parents of young children who rarely get a moment of peace, we absolutely loved that our kids could run out to play while we could keep an eye on them in the comfort of our room.

The walk to the pools and lazy river was hardly a walk at all. I think it was a longer distance to the lobby than it was to the amenities. Little kids tend to be a little fickle, wanting to play in the sand, swim and a few minutes later wanting to rest back in the room. We were in and out of our room so frequently that we've said we will always upgrade to a ground floor.

I didn't think ahead of time to bring floaties, buckets, and that sort of thing for the kids to play on the beach area, but there are so many discarded buckets/shovels that it didn't matter. Our little one was too small at the time to use the inner tubes for floating on the river so we popped over to the gift shop by the towel hut to get him a closed-bottom dragon float. I was expecting to be gouged, but the prices were reasonable so we bought our older one a humongous dolphin float for what it would have cost us at Target.

Aside from the cost of an upgraded room, food prices can be as reasonable or as high as one would expect for a resort. Since we really just wanted to stay on property our entire trip, we kept it simple for breakfast. We went to the "mercantile" store to grab bagels, coffee, breakfast tacos. The breakfast tacos are great, huge, and for a resort -- not too expensive. In a previous trip, we had breakfast in one of the sit down restaurants, and I don't think I'll do that again with kids who are on the go first thing in the morning who have no patience to wait for pancakes. For lunch and dinner, since we were out by the pools so often, we just ate poolside or ordered room service if the kids were too tired to go back out. It was our first vacation where we didn't have to fuss at the kids to mind their manners when we were eating out so I know the kids were relaxed too.

We did participate in a few of the family activities on the main lawn and storytime in the lobby, but mostly we swam, read, relaxed, and did a whole lot of nothing and everything. :) It was wonderful. We've cruised and done Disney with the kids, and for all of our family trips, The Hill Country Resort has been the most relaxing for all of us.

The staff was absolutely fantastic, from the people who brought us room service, to housekeeping who brought us a roll-away bed when we realized that we needed one last minute. Our previous experience was on a Memorial Day weekend, and for as busy as the resort was, I don't feel we were shortchanged in any way by the staff.

One tip though if you go during a busy time -- grab a towel early from the towel hut because if you forget and go later in the day, the towel hut may be closed or out of towels.

A stay here is not cheap, to be sure, but I just think that it is worth every penny.

I'm just so glad that we have this gem so close to Austin!

Room Tip: If you're going with kids, spend extra to pay for a ground floor room nearest to the playground...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

With it's man made river for tubing, this resort is great for families. But it also provides a serene place to relax at The Spa where children are not admitted. Healthy snacks and fresh water with various fruits are offered during the day. The Thursday night Buffet in the Cafe is opulent and delicious. The staff is very helpful and there is a concierge always at the desk. The dressing room is large and has granite counters and tile floors.
A fridge is supplied in the rooms. Since the resort is pricey, I would suggest going to Priceline to schedule your stay. We particularly enjoyed the Austin stone Texas architecture and porches and rocking chairs and nature walk.

Room Tip: If you have a ground floor room, there is a small patio and chairs provided. It is quiet and beautif...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
atlanta,ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

This facility has all the amenities needed to keep a young family busy and occupied. Location is close by to other popular kid related facilities. Staff was very courteous and helpful.
The only downside is I would not recommend this as a quiet getaway for folks without children.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at Hyatt hill country resort two times within the past year, and both times we were blown away by the sheer friendliness of this place. At every touch point, the service was terrific. It started with my call inquiring on the cost of a suite with adjoining double room, I received top notch assistance and advice with the booking. Then, when we checked in, we were greeted by sincere, warm faces at the front desk. And, throughout our stay, it really was service with a smile. When we called down for xtra towels, we received them promptly. Followed by a phone call to check to see if we did receive them. My teenage daughter and her friend were in 7th heaven, roaming the property, hanging out in the lazy river, eating s'mores around the firepit. what's not to love? The master bed mattress and bedding were so comfortable, the robes provided to all guests, the Portico line of personal care products, that smell wonderfully of eucalyptus, the quiet room! Even though our suite faced the busiest front section of the hotel, we did not hear anything through the windows. For those who want to escape from children (not me, of course), There is a lovely adult pool with waterfalls! There is also a wonderful Spa on premises, once you pay for a treatment, you have access to the locker room and the private pool all day (I think kids have to be 15 plus to receive treatments). All in all, my family highly recommends this hotel when you are visiting San Antonio, or just wanting a brief escape from the city!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience from your past two visits to Hyatt Hill Country. I was thrilled to read that you and your teens enjoyed your visits.

Our Hill Country suites with adjoining guestroom makes for a wonderful vacation, enough room for gathering and visiting and enough room where everyone has their own space.

Our Hill Country family strives to provide authentic hospitality and superior service and I am so proud that based on your review we delivered that to you on both occasions.

I hope we will be able to welcome you and your family back again very soon.

Melody Goeken
director of public relations
Valhalla, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We had a wonderful Easter vacation at the Hyatt Hill Country. My children are 9 and 15 so it can sometimes be challenging to find a place with activities that the whole family will enjoy, but that wasn't a problem here. My daughter and I had had a wonderful time at the resort's beautiful spa. It was her first time at a spa and the staff couldn't have been more friendly and attentive - I think she's hooked! My son loved the lazy river and bicycling through the resort - the nature trail was also terrific. Movies on the lawn under the stars were a big hit with the kids while my husband and I enjoyed a glass of wine on the porch.
Everyone at the resort was amazingly attentive, which made our visit extra special. It was a busy weekend but the resort was well staffed and service was very friendly yet very professional. You don't often see this level of personalized service. All of the managers even worked on Easter - greeting guests as they arrived for brunch and making sure that everyone was having a good time.
Food at the Hatt was also great. Breakfast selection had everyone's favorites, lunch by the pool was very convenient, the coffee shop/general store was perfect for afternoon coffee and snacks. We had an excellent room service dinner one night - I travel a lot and usually avoid room service unless necessary. Here the order was accurate, delivery was prompt and most of all the meal was delicious!
The location of the Hyatt is also terrific. Seaworld is just around the corner. Six Flags and downtown San Antonio were a short drive, as was the airport.
We loved the Hyatt and hope to have the chance to visit again soon!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

My husband and I travel to San Antonio at least 4 times per year. Two of our visits are on business so we typically stay at one of the Riverwalk hotels. Fortunately, we have two other visits that are simply pleasure -- and this one was because we stayed at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort and Spa. So much to do on the complex, you can simply just relax, not drive anywhere and enjoy where you are. Clearly the hotel was booked almost to the max but the lobby and other facilities appeared to be staffed to the hilt in order to handle the guests without having to wait for services. The front desk was outstanding at both check-in and check-out. Extremely friendly, taking into account all the requirements listed on my reservation (high floor, quiet room, away from elevators, vending/ice, etc). I know we all list these on our reservation request lists but I don't think many hotels actually read them. Fast delivery to our room and then an opportunity to visit the surroundings. Everything is laid out so well -- if you don't have small children and need to supervise them on the the lazy river, you can easily find numerous other activities. The spa was well staffed, extremely friendly, quiet and managed by a very professional individual. No cell phones, no small children and the manager confirmed this was pretty rigidly informed due to the fact that all the other water facilities are available to them.

The only time it seemed extremely crowded was for a 15 minute period when there was crossover of two events (50th anniversary and wedding). The lobby was heavily manned with staff ensuring each group found their way while still handling the general population transiting through the area.

Always a friendly face, all of whom were more than happy to give directions, offer suggestions, etc.

Regarding our room -- I travel at least 150 days per year so the desk manager went over my room assignment very clearly, stated I had asked for all the request listed earlier in my review and assured me all had been met. Also offered to move me if I felt this was not the case. Clearly being upgraded to a suite with large living area and beautiful bedroom was well received.

I can honestly say I didn't miss the crowds and heat in the city when all of this was mine to enjoy. Job well done by all involved and clearly management understands why folks visit a Resort and Spa.

Room Tip: Suite 4902 is outstanding.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
I am thrilled to read about your recent Hyatt Hill Country experience and am so pleased to know that the authentic hospitality we strive to provide to each guest was delivered to you!

Coming from someone who travels more than 150 nights a year and stays in a variety of hotels and cities, I am proud to see that our front desk staff took your every request into consideration and exceeded your expectations.

Our secluded 300 acres certainly feels like its a million miles away from civilization, but we are actually only 20 minutes from the beautiful River Walk and other populat destinations.

I hope you will consider visiting us again very soon, your business is much appreciated.

Melody Goeken
director of public relations
TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We checked out today after two nights. This was our first family vacation with our two and four year old. We went to Sea World, and spent time at the Hyatt. We would have been happy to just stay at the Hyatt the entire time.

I seriously considered changing to the Hilton because of the price difference, but the Hyatt was worth it. We paid $209/ night + resort fee, and I would do it again in a second. Stay here, do not stay anywhere else if you want to enjoy the hotel too.

We had a king room with a fridge. When we got there first thing we did was run to the grocery store to buy beer, milk, cereal, and snacks. We had breakfast and lunch in the room one day to save money, brought our own drinks down to the pool, and took snacks to Sea World. If you are looking to save money the free kids activities, and fridge really help.

The pool, lazy river, playground, kids pool, and hot tub were a huge hit. The tunnel between the lazy river and activity pool was enough for my two year old to make the entire trip worth it. Lazy river is shallow enough that my four year old could touch. Hotel provides tubes and life jackets. Water was bearable (and I hate cold water) for early May. We did not spend much time in the sand. I did not bring anything to play in the sand with, so my kids were not interested. Wish they had something there for the kids to use. We spent hours each day in the pool. My kids were more interested in the lazy river than Sea World, I think they thought the pool was a part of Sea World.

In the evening they roast smores at the fire pit. My kids loved that. Movies on the lawn was a huge hit. Hotel provides blankets and popcorn. There is no charge the movies, popcorn, or smores. We could have made a vacation out of just the resort, and not done Sea World.

We did not do any of the scheduled kids activities. They always conflicted with our time at Sea World, and the few times we were there for them the kids wanted to be in the pool anyway.

We had room service the first night, a huge hit for the kids, and Sunday brunch, which was very good. Sunday brunch was great because there were a lot of kids, they had kids cups with lids at the buffet by the juice, and the staff was wonderful. I think they did a wonderful job making brunch family friendly and good food. Typical brunch food (breakfast tacos, lox, cheese, fruit, pastries, sausage, bacon, omelets, pancakes / waffles). The kids loved the teddy bear shaped waffles. Price was what you would expect, about $25 / person (kids under 5 are free).

Only thing keeping me from giving the resort five stars is that it is dated. The rooms are not bad, very hill country, exactly what you would expect for a hotel room, but not really what I expected for the per a night rates I was seeing online. The bathroom (tub / toilet area) was very small and mildew in the grout in our room). The king room we had had a balcony which was nice. Next time we will request a room on the first floor opening towards the pool / playground.

I am sure I am missing something, as we loved this resort. We look forward to coming back and are already trying to figure out a time that we can visit with friends. Great resort for families. Also saw a lot of couples at the hotel who seemed to be enjoying it too. There is a adult only pool area that I never even saw, so it must be secluded to keep away the kids.

Room Tip: First floor with balcony opening to pool or playground if you have kids.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
I am so glad you opted to stay at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa instead of our neighbor! I was thrilled to read that your family enjoyed the Ramblin’ River, movies on the lawn and our nightly s’mores!

Our in-room fridges are a big hit with our families, our General Store carries milk, cereals and all sorts of packaged snacks and freshly prepared foods as well as wine and beer, so it's easy to keep it stocked!

As you may have seen from past responses, we have been working with an interior design firm that specializes in resort design to see how our guestrooms could be enhanced. We have several amazing model rooms that are being carefully considered.

We hope to welcome you back again very soon.

(consider visiting us over July 4th weekend, we have fireworks, a Radio Disney dance party and a fun patriotic parade planned!)

Melody Goeken, director of public relations

Been to Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!