“Our summer getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9800 Hyatt Resort Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251 (Far West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Shopping Package
Ranked #19 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“Our summer getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

My husband and I stay at the Hyatt every year for an extended weekend getaway. You will not be disappointed. It's hard to believe a place this luxurious yet family friendly is in the heart of San Antonio. You cannot see or hear anything outside of the resort...it's like it's in its own world.

The resort is very large, with a huge activity pool, quarter mile "lazy river," kid friendly beach and adults only pool and spa. There are waterfalls everywhere, and with the hotel spa and golf course, there is something for everyone. The resort offers activities for kids all day and night, and there's even an arcade/game room for kids, too.
TIP: The activity pool and river are fed by the nearby Guatalupe river so the water can be very, very cold. Book your trip in July for the warmest water. The water will be much colder in August, and just about unbearable in September. The adult pool is heated.

The spa is incredible. Treatments seem very expensive when you book - but keep in mind that you get to use the spa facilities for the whole day so make sure you get there at least an hour early. You will be glad you did.

The only downside to the resort is the food. Unfortunately, it's overpriced and not very good. However, just two exits down from the hotel at the intersection of Highways 410 and 151 lies an abundance of restaurants. Everything from fast food to delis to sit-down restaurants. All very good and very affordable, and tons of options. The poolside drinks at the resort are very good, but overpriced as well. Coolers are not allowed poolside.

As far as location, the resort is right across the street from Sea World and about 30 minutes from Fiesta Texas. Downtown San Antonio is about 15-20 minutes away. However, the resort is so relaxing you will have a very hard time prying yourself away from it!

Room Tip: The resort always has specials going on. Check them out before booking.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
tripper1919, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Thank you so very much for the review of your recent Hill Country visit. I am so glad to read that you had a great experience at Windflower-The Hill Country Spa.

I apologize for your dining experience, our culinary team strives to provide delicious dining options at a reasonable price. I will certainly pass on your thoughts to our food and beverage director. We appreciate your invaluable feedback.

Looking forward to having you again next year!

director of public relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Kingwood, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

This is a beautiful resort, we have stayed here before, but we had so many problems on our latest trip! First, there were numerous problems with our reservation. When I checked in there were 2 different reservations in our name - apparently the conference manager for my husband's conference had made a reservation without our permission. Maybe that's the fault of the conference, but I would think Hyatt could verify that with us.

Then they couldn't get our keys to work - it literally took over 5 hours after we checked in until we could enter our room, where all of our luggage was, with our own keys! During our stay we observed several other groups with the same problem.

Add to that the quality of the other guests: one group regularly made an early-morning rush to the beach area of the pool to "reserve" about a dozen chairs, even though they never used more than four at a time. Another hung a plastic grocery bag in a tree, can't even imagine why. And then the tween-aged kids who kept trying to steal the beach toys we brought for our young children, from right under our noses. Come on people! This is supposed to be a nice resort, not a public campground!

Finally, we noticed an additional charge of nearly $400 on our credit card about a month after our stay. Turns out they thought it would be fun to see if they could reneg on the $400 of resort credit we were supposed to get with the "family stay more, play more" deal when we booked our room. Thankfully, they courteously agreed to refund the charge, but I still haven't seen it reflected on my credit card statement.

Overall, I think this is a nice resort, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend the $$ for a junior suite that my family requires again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
tripper1919, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
First and foremost, please accept my sincere apology on behalf of the entire resort for your experience with your room keys, and our Ramblin’ River. Our goal is for you to have an enjoyable, relaxing and wonderful experience throughout the resort and obviously we did not deliver this to you. I would also like to thank you for providing feedback concerning our Family Stay More Play More package, please contact me directly so I can look into the refund to your credit card.

I hope that you will be willing to provide us another opportunity to deliver the experience you should have received.

melody.goeken@hyatt.com
Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the Hyatt Hill Country. We took a family trip to San Antonio and being completely unfamiliar with the area, I booked a one night stay here simply for the convenience of it being so close to SeaWorld. I wish that I would have known ahead of time how absolutely wonderful this place is and we would have stayed another week just at this resort! From the moment we walked into the lobby and were greeted by employees dressed up as Betsy Ross, the Statue of Liberty, Uncle Sam, etc for the 4th of July, I knew this was a family-oriented, kid-friendly, magical place. The front desk staff was exceptional friendly and welcoming. I believe it was Christine that assisted us and she made us feel like the Hyatt was extremely grateful to have us as their guests. We even received a call from her later to make sure that everything was as expected. The entire staff did a perfect job making us feel like this was our home away from home. We loved the rambling river. It was perfect for adults as well as my teenage daughters and even my 2 year old daughter loved it. She could build sand castles on the beach or float around the river with mommy or daddy. We took advantage of the pizza/pasta buffet at the pavilion later that evening, which was delicious and affordable. I was literally sad that we had to leave so soon, and I am definitely planning our next trip back. We fell in love with San Antonio and the Hyatt Hill Country!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so very much for posting your experience. This was our first 4th of July celebration and will become a Hill Country tradition! I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy our parade and 30-minute laser light spectacular as well! I appreciate your kind comments about Christine at the front desk, and will be sure to pass on your remarks.

We hope you will come back and visit us again, perhaps for our New Year's Family Eve celebration!

director of public relations

oh, love the pic of you on our hammock!
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I stayed here for 3 days with my wife and 7 year old daughter and I have to say this is a Family Paradise. It is for families for younger children and teenagers. Also, It seemed all the children were well behaved, everywhere. Maybe because there were lots of activities for them. I honestly could not believe all the activities and things for children. The first day my daughter painted a boat to where there would be a race the next morning at 9;30am. We then went swimming in the Lazy River and that was fun and relaxing. we ate .. and then they had a movie on the lawn where blankets were provided for everyone. "Cars" was on of the movies they played. The next morning the boat race was planned. They did it in heats of 5. Renee got second place in her heat, which was ok. All the staff was extremely nice. I can see that Hyatt goes through very careful screening when hiring these staff to deal with children and people in general. Then we went to Sea World the first Full day and it was hot all day, but it was fun. We came back, we watched another movie on the lawn. The start of the next day, we walked all over, laid in the hammock, and then we to swim again. Then Renee decorated her bike to be in 4th of July parade. It made her feel special to be in the parade with the bike(the hotel provided the bike, and materials) Then, after the parade, there was a huge laser show with a big screen, because the fireworks were canceled because of the fire ban. In my opinion, the laser show was done nicely and it was just as good as any fireworks. Great display. All nights we ate at the buffet where children at for free. It was $18 per adult and you get one free child per adult. Food was good and I admit, I went back twice for dessert. There is a $22 resort fee per day but I admit, This is good because it includes free internet, all bike rentals, and many many more activities you don't have to worry about. Great job Hyatt! We will be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Mansfield, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Stayed here from 3 nights prior to the 4th of July weekend with our 4 & 7 year olds.
2nd stay here and we enjoy everything about the hotel. Check in was smooth. We are not the type to require a lot of extra service from the hotel staff but when we did need something the staff was efficient and helpful. One of the best things about this hotel is the grounds. Everything is georgous. Even though you are in the city, you really feel as if you are out in the hill country. I like that. Enough can not be said about the lazy river and pools. Our kids especially loved the sandy beach area. Plenty of chairs available no matter time we were there but the hotel was getting much we busier when we left Sat. morning.

Book you room on priceline for almost half the regular room rate. Just choose resorts and northwest SA and you're set, it's the only "resort" so you will get this hotel. Probably won't work as well on holiday weekends but any other time will save you significantly.

This is definitely a hotel for family (ie kids). Our kids did not participate in the Camp Hyatt kids club but they had many activities anyone can join in. We especially enjoy the movies on the lawn and smores by the lazy river. If you eat all your meals here you will spend a lot of money. I don't think the majority of quests do that. Absolutely everyone we so saw loading or unloading had a cooler of drinks and food with them. We at one meal at the hotel a day and either went out and ate the other meals or brought them back to our room. If you're at sea world or out sightseeing you won't be eating all your meals at the hotel anyway.

There are plenty of tubes for the lazy river. Bring some fun ones for your kids and sand toys if you have kids elementary age or younger. I guarantee they will love playing in the sand. The other nice thing is there is lots of shade so you're not in the hot blazing sun the whole time.

This hotel is a little more expensive than we usually pay but we feel it's worth it. We had a standard double room. Bathroom is very big. Beds are a little tight but for 4 people but nothing to really complain about. They do charge you for wi-fi access which I don't like. It's free at most chain hotels.

We will be back in the fall when it's still warm enough to use the lazy river and pools.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011 via mobile

The girls (7 & 4 yrs old) loved the camp & activities, & of course the lazy river & beach area. The wife enjoyed the margaritas & the service. This can, however, get very expensive. Overall very nice 5 day vacation. Definatly a family resort. Many activities for the kids. Would recommend but only if you are willing to drop mucho dinero.

• Stayed June 2011
austin, texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this resort along with her parents and sister's family. Her parents were gracious enough to pay for our stay. The total bill for our room, with breakfast, drinks and taxes came to around $1000 for 2 nights! The both of us had our own room with a king sized bed. The room was very comfortable and very spacious. It was ground level, so it was very easy to walk out the sliding glass door, onto the patio and then onto the trail that led to the pool area. The breakfast that was included in our room price was very good and consisted of a "higher-end" breakfast buffet with just about anything you could think of to eat. I think the price per person for breakfast was around $20 all you can eat. Overall, this place seems like it's geared toward families with younger kids. The place was packed with them and if you were trying to get away with your better half, you would have been annoyed by all of the screaming and little ones running around. They had a petting zoo presentation the first night and showed Cars the movie the second night on the lawn. The pool area is ok but it was crowded...don't expect to get a relaxing swim without being bumped into by a little one or an inner tube or shamu float. The beers cost $7 each and the mixed drinks were in the $10-$15 range each...so you could spend a fortune if you have more than a couple throughout the day. The resort is very close to Sea World which is convenient. This place seemed very expensive to me, and if I was paying for this stay, I would have probably stayed at the newer Holiday Inn just down from this resort for less money. But if you were trying to find a family staycation close to home, this place would be great for a couple of days.

Room Tip: Ground level rooms for good access to trails
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent summer vacation experience and for recognizing the many family-friendly activities we offer throughout the summer. I hope you will visit us again once the children are back in school; the hotel becomes a wonderful place for adults to reconnect and to relax. In planning your next Hill Country vacation, you may want to consider visiting us over a fall weekend, or mid week in October or November.

We hope to be able to welcome you again very soon.

director of public relations

Been to Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!