“HORRIBLE!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown

You added Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   318 West Cesar Chavez, San Antonio, TX 78204 (Avenida Guadalupe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #154 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
“HORRIBLE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

checked in after midnight after a long drive. Carried all our stuff in and then were told we had to go back out and put a parking ticket in the window of the car! Hotel room was filthy! It looks like the have never dusted or cleaned the bathroom. It was so nasty I cleaned it myself! Lazy maids. Then in the morning my boyfriend had some stuff he had to send to kinkos for an early morning business meeting and pressed for time and the internet in the room was so slow it wouldn't load, he was told to call a 1800 #. Breakfast, do we even wanna go there? The $11 dollar buffet was disgusting! Then two differnt servers and the manager bugged us every 2 minutes asking if we needed oj or if everything was ok. We couldn't get through a full conversation without being interrupted. I would never stay at this hotel again. Oh and the bonus... there was a disgusting pubic hair on the clean towels! !!

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
GeneralManagerBBaker, Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, I just wish your experience would have been better. Please accept my apology on behalf of my team. It sounds like we may have been too attentive for your liking in our restaurant. I will share your comments with my staff so we can continue to improve in all areas going forward. Safe Travels! Ben, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
North Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

The San Antonio Riverwalk has exceptionally expensive motel rooms. Traveling alone I wanted to save money so I booked this by using Hotwire and choose 3-star hotels within the map zone of the Riverwalk. I was very happy with the rate saving 75% of the rates on the river. If you're traveling alone, want to save money and have safety stay here in a clean, air-conditioned hotel with a balcony, and there is a pool and hot-tub in the courtyard closes. Could use a lot of updates as it's not upscale like other Holiday Inn's but it saved me a lot of money. (Restaurant and bar downstairs no continental breakfast.) Front desk friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Eat at The Texas Cattle and Company Restaurant on the Riverwalk. Lunch special, smoked 6 oz smoked s...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. Safe Travels! Ben, General Manager
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We were on a motor bike tour from the East to West coasts and San Antonio was one of our stop overs. We had planned two nights at this hotel, but unfortunately left after only one night. The hotel itself is in a fairly good location, a bit of a walk to the riverwalk area and the Alamo, but not too far. The room was comfortable and spacious, although it was starting to look a little tired.

Mostly I was unhappy with this hotel for two reasons. The first (which really put us off) was the concierge (or the guy you ask for help with taxis etc). We wanted to go out for dinner and had a restaurant in mind that we really wanted to go to in one of the suburbs (amazing true mexican) ... we asked the concierge to order us a taxi. After he had phoned for the taxi, he commenced to ask us about how often we "vacation" ... I should have realised immediately what this was about, but fell into the trap. He then starts in on "would we like to win a holiday" ... and mentions Wyndham. Well now I realise we are about to get the time share talk - I nip this in the bud quickly by telling him we had only been to a presentation back home in Australia six months previously and I know you are not eligible to "get another free prize" for 12 months. And honestly we told him we were only there for a day, and we were from Oz - why would we want to "win" seven nights we would never be able to use and give up half a day for their hard sell???

Anyway that was fine and we went outside to wait for our cab. 30 minutes later it still hasn't turned up so hubby goes back in and asks the guy about our taxi. He then makes another call and it is at this point that my hubby realises that the guy has phoned a "friend" rather than just a cab company - and calls him on this. We then figure out that the "friend cab driver" is likely going to rip us off and that the "concierge" gets some sort of kick back on all this. That was it for us - we decided then and there we would only stay one night.

So we headed for riverwalk only to find it dead as a doornail at 8.30pm at night (and somewhat scary to be honest). We finally found a cab, got to the place we had wanted to go to at 7pm and luckily they were still opened.

The second reason I am giving this hotel a poor rating is an issue we had with our washing. Hubby had put a load of washing on and then into the dryer - it was right at the back of the hotel up on the 4th floor, and he felt it would be unlikely that someone would come up there, let alone take anything. So he left it in the dryer while he popped back to the room for 10 minutes. When he went back he discovered that the dryer had "stopped with 7 minutes still remaining" so got the stuff out and brought it back to the room. At this point we realised that things had been stolen - not everything - just selected items. My jeans (I was on a bike with only 3 pairs of jeans, to have one stolen did not make me happy) along with a few pairs of his underwear and a couple of odd socks. Yet they left my t-shirts and underwear. Very strange.

Anyway we complained to Tonya who was on the front desk - she was appalled and comped the room for us for the night. I was very impressed with her understanding and surprised that we had our room comped (it was after all our fault for leaving the washing). So how the situation was handled was beyond expectations - and big thanks to Tonya, it was really appreciated.

But unfortunately that along with the concierge situation left us with a bad taste in our mouth for this hotel. Which is a shame.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for sharing you stay and comments with us. I know Tonya did her best to take care of you and help you out. I will make sure the concierge team sees your comments too. Safe Travels! Ben, General Manager
San Antonio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

The hotel staff was very kind. We found two small roaches in our bathtub when we woke up in the morning. Gross. I didn't tell my travelmate until we left the hotel - she would have freaked out. The beds were comfortable. They need to add iced tea to the breakfast offerings.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I appreciate the info and suggestions. Safe Travels! Ben, General Manager
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The buffet was well prepared and presented and our host polite and pleasant.
We ate more than enough.

Our server, Brandi, was excellent...Great service, well attended table and very courteous. We will be back!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I know Brandi will get a kick out of it too! Safe Travels Ben, General Manager
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

It was little bit of a walk to the main section of the River Walk, but I like to walk. At check in, the first person (a woman) was rude and giving me a hard time when I wanted to change rooms. the manager stepped in and took care of it, like a front desk person is supposed to do. Despite it being Texas, the pool was very cold, and I mean "very" cold, as was the whirlpool. Not a bad stay, and as a bonus, they had great Motown and 60's music playing in the lobby.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at our Hotel and passing on your thoughts. I am glad you things worked out for you. Safe Travels! Ben, General Manager
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Beds were a little firm but very clean and comfortable. The patio opening to the pool was very nice. Shower head was a little low (being 6'5" might be the issue). Parking was tight and full at times. Great customer service.

Room Tip: Poolside first floor was great
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at our Hotel. I am glad you had a nice visit and enjoyed our staff. Safe Travels! Ben, General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown? Share your experiences!