“Comfortable and quiet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown

You added Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   318 West Cesar Chavez, San Antonio, TX 78204 (Avenida Guadalupe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #154 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
London, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The large room with a balcony looking onto the pool was quiet and offered comfortable beds with choice of pillows. The furniture is perhaps a bit dated but everything was there for once comfort. The hotel is well located annd in walking distance to River Walk and the market. The chef was particularly happy to reveal his secret at making a wine sauce for beef. Rushed off his feet because of a huge party on Saturday night, he came back at breakfast time to give me his tips! Many thanks for that.

Room Tip: rooms at the back above the pool
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thanks so much for the kind words. I will make sure our Chef get to see your comments too!
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

Ben, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Coffeyville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Checked in; reception very friendly. Went to our room and upon entering, found beer cans strewn about, TV blaring, mixed drinks melting on the counters, the bed torn apart and a phonebook opened with a message scrawled on a notepad beside it.

Began looking for a corpse-- just in case. Finding none, we returned to reception and received another room, but this time not as friendly.

Nice enough room; hard bed, funny mildew smell in the hallway just outside our room. My main complaint?

Curtains do not close. You get two skinny, decorative panels and a sheer. Does not keep out the lights at night. Could not sleep because I like it dark. My travel partner slept very well. So use that as a guide.

Great location, clean room, plenty of towels; I would stay here again, but bring sleep mask to block out the light.

GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Well for starters, I am sorry we checked you into a room that had not yet been serviced. I am not sure if you reported the blackout drapes to the front desk but each rooms should have them. Because of the way these reviews are done unless you mentioned it to my front desk staff I am not sure which room you were in. I will pass this on to my housekeeping staff so they can be on the look out to solve this Draper Caper.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel this past weekend (4/26 -4/28). We were VERY hesitant to book a room here because of the previous reviews we'd read about the recent renovation. But the location and price were hard to pass up. Besides, we were there to attend the annual Fiesta event so figured we wouldnt be at the hotel until late and planned to have some fun so....
Surprisingly, when we arrived on 4/26, we were greeted with great service by a parking attendant then when we approached the front desk the service was just as great. The lobby of the hotel was also nice. However, as we rode up in the elevator I was still nervous about what type of room we would walk into. Lets just say both my husband and I were very pleased with a very nice room which had a nice king size bed and pullout couch. The wood floors were a nice touch and the room was clean and was stocked with plenty of towels, etc in the bathroom. To top it off we had a beautiful view of the Riverwalk and all the Fiesta activities. I regretted buying parade seat tickets for 4/27 because we had such a great view we could see the parade from our room. We could've avoided the crowded streets. :(. I have no complaints about this hotel and was very happy since this trip was my gift to my husband for his birthday. Their room service was also very good and breakfast was more than filling. I just read a review complaining about the music from the Fiesta event. I agree you can hear all the music as high as the 17th floor (the floor we stayed on) but after all that's what WE were there for. So, if you don't plan to go for something like that then I
don't recommend any hotel on the Riverwalk !

• Stayed April 2013
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thanks for the comments however this review is for a stay at the Holiday Inn Riverwalk. They have wood flooring in their rooms.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I would recommend this hotel to anybody, except those who have their hearts set upon the Riverwalk. It is about 7-8 mins walk from that lovely destination; if that epic journey is too much for you and your zimmer frame then you would be well advised to look closer to home. It is however only about 3 mins walk away from the ever-vibrant Market Square and the well-worth-a-visit Mi Tierra restraurant/bakery. As per usual, bitter tears are shed regarding the 'dated' decor, too hard/too soft pillows, and the hair-in-the-bathtub nonsense. In reality the rooms in this hotel are WONDERFUL with a very enjoyable balcony where you can either view the San Antonio city skyline, or the pretty poolside area. Nice flat screen TV, very comfy bed, super clean, and a spectacular pool in a very amiable tree-lined courtyard ~ and it's a nice size for a decent swim, too. We usually stay at the Menger but could not get a room due to 'Fiesta', but actually we enjoyed the change. Again, high standards for a 3* hotel. Got a gripe? Stay in a 3* in Europe. You will, all of a sudden, start to appreciate the high standards in America! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
For starters, a simple “Thank You” is in order for your comments. I must say this is my new all time favorite guest review. It’s nice to get kind words from an experienced reviewer/traveler. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
Ben, GM
Munich, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed two nights in this hotel at the end of downtown, close to the famous market square. The pictures we saw in the internet when we booked did not really show the real thing. The hotel is quite old and only partly well-kept. The carpet was partly very dirty and smelled. Breakfast was OK.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to the Market Square area. I will share your other comments with my housekeeping staff. Most people that I speak with have a great time and really enjoy all the shops and sites to see in San Antonio's oldest market area.

Safe Travels
Lorton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Market Sq for 8 nights in early April/2013. Eight nights gave us an overall view of the hotel from the prespective of more than one night. We were very pleased with everything about this hotel. First the free parking. We had a car but after 2 days paying for parking in downtown we decided on the hotle shuttle. How nice. The shuttle took you downtown and when you were ready to return you simply called the driver and in about 10 minutes he arrived. Both the morning and afternoon drivers were just great. The room was a nice oversized room with a microwave and frig which make keeping cold drinks in the room so much easier then hauling ice every day. From the front desk to the cleaning staff everyone was polite and easy to work with. For the price of a room at the Holiday Inn I think you received more than the value for you dollar.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerBBaker, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Wow, thanks for the kind words. Glad you had an enjoyable stay. I will make sure that Steve and Hector our shuttle drivers get to see your comments as well.

Corpus Christi, Texas, Usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

For a Holiday Inn, this property is worn out, literally. The chairs in the restaurant and lounge are so worn the leather is worn off and cracked. The desk clerks tried to be helpful but house keeping didn't seem to want to cooperate. I had to ask twice to replace the chair for the desk that was broke. I asked for extra coffee for the room and never received it. I left a tip as I always do the 1st day and was rewarded with no soap, no wash clothes and the pillow sashes were thrown in the nightstand drawer. The water was less than lukewarm at 9 Am and finally heated up enough to shower at around 1100. I had a USA Today put under my door the 1st morning, but it was the last I received. I am a Priority CLub Rewards member and couldn't even find one at the front desk the next 2 days. The cleks at the desk didn't have a reason either.

Room Tip: Not sure what to suggest, my double was very small and cramped.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Please accept my apology, I will make sure to share your comments with my Housekeeping Director and staff.
Safe travels
Ben, General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown? Share your experiences!