“Pleasant staff, safe bike storage, good location- walkable to Market Square” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown

You added Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   318 West Cesar Chavez, San Antonio, TX 78204 (Avenida Guadalupe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #154 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Texas
“Pleasant staff, safe bike storage, good location- walkable to Market Square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011 via mobile

This was my second stay at this hotel. Note: The actual address is 318 W. Cesar E. Chavez Blvd, not Durango. Rooms have been renovated, bathroom nicely done. Wish they offered double queens, instead of seemingly tiny double beds. I appreciate the lovely live oak trees on the property anf ample free parking; this city seems to charge for every foot of curb space, even evenings and weekends.

• Stayed December 2011
GeneralManagerBBaker, Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
Thank you for noting the address change I will make sure we get that corrected. I’m so glad you had a good stay and thank you for sharing!
Safe Travels
Ben, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

All I can say is WOW! This hotel has the best staff ever! When you first walk in you feel like you are visiting family. Everyone is so friendly and open. I don't know how they brought together so many great people to work here! If I had a hotel I would model this one 100%!!!!! Very Nice!!!! Perfect Family Environment!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
I am truly glad you had such a wonderful stay. From all of us at the Holiday Inn San Antonio Market Square, we wish you a Happy New Year!
Safe Travels
Houston Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Our stay began Saturday afternoon the day before our 1/2 Marathon. The staff were efficient but not too knowledgable when it came to transportation and location of some sites. We found the room clean and quiet but only marginal when it came to amenities. The coffee pot was single serve ( only two cups provided) and there was no fridge or microwave available. TV was ok but slow to load and expensive if you wanted anything on demand, the sound was also variable. We specifically requested a hotel with a pool and were very disappointed that the pool was dirty and COLD! No heated pool!!!! The spa pool was great though. We requested pool towels twice and was told both times they would be available "shortly" - never saw a pool towel in three days. For a quick trip this might be acceptable hotel as it is on the Yellow bus line and only two blocks from the Market Square. Restaurant had good food but slow service - pretty typical I'm finding at hotel restaurants these days.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerBBaker, Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry that we were not able to fully meet your expectations. It is information like this that helps us improve in the future. Hopefully you enjoyed the ½ marathon and will give us another opportunity when visiting San Antonio again.
Ben , General Manager
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Nothing Exceptional but quite acceptable hotel. On main river but near the hot area. The restaurant has very reasonable prices for decent food.

The rooms are okay as well and the price is reasonable

Room Tip: I have no comment
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the comments. Hope you will come back soon.
Ben , General Manager
Humble, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn Market Square for 4 nights from Thursday, October 20th through Monday, October 24th. We celebrated our first wedding anniversary with a short road trip from Houston and our stay was great! We had originally only booked for three nights, but stayed a fourth. Thanks for honoring the discount a fourth night!!

Service was excellent. We checked in about 6-6:30ish on Thursday evening. The young man at the desk (I can’t remember his name) was on the phone very patiently explaining to a seemingly confused lady directions to the hotel, answering some of our own questions at the same time. When he finished the phone call he apologized for the delay, and promptly helped us check-in.
We were put in a first floor room with a king bed and sliding glass doors that led to the parking lot. My husband was really excited about the fact that we could park right in front of our room, load/unload with ease, and keep an eye on the car. I had read in several reviews that if your room does not have a mini-fridge or microwave you could request one and, if available, it would be brought to you. This is very true, about five minutes after requesting a mini-fridge, one was in our room ready to use (the microwave as well, even though we didn’t request it). The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. It is true that the TV was not of the flat screen variety, but considering we weren’t paying good money to stare at the boob tube all weekend (we could have done that at home), that was not a priority for us. The bathroom was clean, and I really liked the updated tile and countertop. It felt less hotely and more homey.

After unloading the car, we headed to the bar for a beverage to wet our parched throats and met Mari. She is awesome. This young lady is super friendly. She made several suggestions on things to do and places to go downtown. The $2.50 Pacifico/ Heineken special wasn’t bad either. We also stopped back by when she was bartending Sunday evening after a long day walking the river walk and checking out the Tower of the Americas. While we were enjoying our adult beverages, she brought out a complimentary piece of cheesecake with strawberries, blueberries, raspberry sauce and whipped cream. That was a great touch, I couldn’t believe she remembered what we had told her on Thursday. We were very impressed.

I had to knock a star off the rating though, for just a couple of issues, and all of them stem around the restaurant/bar . The first is that on Sunday there was a not so great smell in the bar area. It almost smelled like there was a drainage issue behind the bar. The smell was not there Thursday, but Sunday night it was pretty bad. It was still there Monday morning as well. The second is that, according to the hotel’s information channel, the bar was supposed to be open until 12am Saturday night (Sunday morning). My husband and I decided to return to the hotel after dinner Saturday night and have a couple of drinks at the bar there before retiring for the evening. We got to the hotel just after 11pm and the bar was already closed. That disappointed my husband quite a bit. Had we known the hotel bar was going to close early, we would have just found one downtown to stop at before catching the bus back. The last blemish to an otherwise wonderful stay was the food at the restaurant. We decided to have breakfast there Monday morning before heading home. While it was fairly inexpensive, it was not good at all. We both got the eggery burrito. It was bland, and the tortilla had an odd flavor and texture. Based on my experience with the food, I could not recommend eating there.

The best things about this stay, and the reason I give it four stars, are the service, the free parking, and the comfy room. Oh, and did I mention the service.

A few FYIs- Durango St. has been renamed Cesar Chavez, so while your GPS will give you the correct directions, the street names will be different. (That was a little confusing exiting the freeway. I would have missed the exit had there not been an exit number as I was looking for Durango and not Cesar Chavez.)

The river walk is six blocks east and two blocks north of the hotel. While it is within walking distance, there is a trolley route right across the street and parking is expensive downtown. If you plan on staying a few days and enjoying the sights I recommend getting a VIA day pass for the trolley lines. There are three different routes that stop at all the major attractions downtown. Individual rides are $1.10 per person, and the day pass is $4.00. We were really glad we did this, it was a huge help as we didn’t have carry around a bunch of singles and dimes all weekend.

Also, there is construction going on across Cesar Chavez (Durango St). It got a little annoying a couple of mornings. That is no fault of Holiday Inn’s, and I did not base any portion of my rating on it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerBBaker, Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Thanks for the information lots of good stuff to pick through. I am so glad you guys had a great visit and had money to spend on something other than parking! I will make sure my staff sees your comments. I will also make sure to have breakfast with my Restaurant Manager. We will take another look at that burrito and see if we need to do something different.
Thanks again for some great info.
Roseville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights, they allowed early check in (by an hour) the exterior of the hotel is a little dated, and the hallways are creepy and long especially if you're alone. The rooms were nice though, very clean, and comfortable. Bath and body works toiletries. They first sent me to a room that hadn't been cleaned but corrected it and got me another very quickly. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It's a good hotel for what you pay! I'd stay again!

• Stayed July 2011
GeneralManagerBBaker, Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you for the comments. I am sorry we checked you into a room that was not clean. It sounds like my staff made a nice recovery though. I am glad to hear you enjoyed yourself while you were here. Hopefully you found a new home while in San Antonio!
Mesquite, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We had an inside room, facing the pool, and even then it was really quiet. The room was really clean and front desk staff very helpful. The only thing I really missed was a mini-fridge in the room. The restaurant was pretty pricey too. But, the free shuttle to the River Walk and The Alamo was awesome. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerBBaker, Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Thank you for the comments. I am glad your stay was a pleasant one. Between the Riverwalk, the Missions and Market Square there is definitely plenty of things to keep a person occupied. Hope to see you back soon.
Ben, General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown? Share your experiences!