“Everything is always great. That is why I keep coming...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Anthony Hotel

Save Saved
You added The St. Anthony Hotel to your Saves list
The St. Anthony Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 East Travis Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Formerly The St. Anthony Riverwalk, A Wyndham Hotel) (East Side)   |
Ranked #156 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
El Paso
“Everything is always great. That is why I keep coming...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Everything is always great. That is why I keep coming back. The location is perfect. The hotel is elegant. The staff is extremely helpful and very customer service focused. I have recommended this hotel to many people and always bring my family to stay.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

971 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Apollo, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel via "Name your price" on Priceline. We were "stuck" with this hotel. When we arrived, we could not have been more pleased! The lobby reminds me of a turn of the century mansion, with big artwork and sculptures, very beautiful. For it's antiquated state, the hotel is simply lovely and charming! Our room was HUGE, two queen sized poster beds which were EXTREMELY comfortable. Even the room service was good and better than typical subpar hotel food. The location is quiet but just a few minute walk to the river walk and Alamo. We stumbled into this hotel and could not be more pleased! We would stay here again for sure!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jared B, General Manager at The St. Anthony Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for the great review and I am happy to see we exceeded your expectations.

Jared Bailey,
Hotel General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Upon arriving at this hotel, we could see that it was once a beautiful and elegant place. However, it it now needs an overhaul--top to bottom. Starting from the check-in process (there was someone already in our room when we entered) to the day we departed, there were small annoyances. The keys we were given did not work and had to be replaced on a couple of occasions. There was no hot water (I mean none) the first evening we attempted to shower. And when the water was hot, it was barely more than a trickle. The bathroom was tiny. If you were washing your face, you were in constant danger of hitting your head on the shelf just above the sink. The restaurant, though lovely, served a pretty lame breakfast. Pancakes tasted like raw dough, they had no muffins or bagels--coffee did not taste like Starbucks (as advertised). Finally, although close to the Riverwalk, this hotel is a couple of blocks away, on a rather unattractive street. We were expecting to look out of our window and actually be on the Riverwalk. All in all, a disappointing stay.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I paid additional money for the specific purpose of being able to cancel my reservation. Due to a hospital emergency, I had to postpone my trip. Despite paying the extra money in advance, the hotel refused to cancel my reservation and charged me for a full night. I felt that this was heartless of them, given my circumstances, and the fact that I phoned them hours before 6 p.m. with the cancellation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I attended a convention at this hotel and didn't have a choice in selecting this hotel. This was a grand hotel back when it was built in 1909. Today, it's old, tired, and worn out. I received a note upon check-in that the hotel is going through a major mutli-million dollar renovation starting April 15, 2013 and lasting for a year. However, look at the other reviews, this worn out hotel has been under renovation for years and besides a lot of dust and closed off hallways, nothing looks renovated to me. The pool is closed and the decking is torn up due to the renovation. The hotel is 3 blocks from the Riverwalk, where there are several beautiful hotels that are directly on the Riverwalk. The bathroom in my room was all original 1909 except for the toilet. The hot water had no pressure and dribbled out at the sink and tub faucets and the enamel was worn off the tub and sink. There was only one accessible electrical outlet in my room under the desk. The carpeting was dirty and worn thread bare in the traffic patterns around the bed and the glossy cherry finish on the furniture in the room was marred and nicked in many places. I would not recommend staying at this hotel to anyone since there are much nicer hotels in better locations for equal or less money. I will say the hotel staff was exceptionally friendly and the pillow top mattress appeared new and was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Every room in this OLD hotel is a different size and configuration. I wouldn't stay here again...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Customer,

I am very sorry for the experience you had at the hotel. I will have my engineering department look into the lack of water pressure and ensure this is fixed immediately. I understand your concern regarding the advertisement of a renovation at the hotel as previous owners have promised prior to our purchase, which did not happen. I want to assure you we have started the renovation, as of April 15 the first section of our rooms were removed which marks the official start of our renovation process. Our ownership group purchased the hotel in late April 2012 and started planning the major renovation around that time, unfortunately, the planning process has taken longer than we expected which has resulted in a later start date and completion date from what we had planned.

Jared Bailey,
Hotel General Manager

Been to The St. Anthony Hotel? Share your experiences!