“Needs Updating” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Anthony Hotel

Save Saved
You added The St. Anthony Hotel to your Saves list
The St. Anthony Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 East Travis Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Formerly The St. Anthony Riverwalk, A Wyndham Hotel) (East Side)   |
Ranked #158 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
Boston, Massachusetts
“Needs Updating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Pros: price; location near river walk; and friendly helpful staff. Cons:The hotel room's colonial style furniture needs replaced! As a Wyndham property, I'm surprised that they have not renovated this historical property that Grace Kelly, John Wayne, and Arnold Schwarzenegger visited. The room walls were scuffed and need painting. The lamps had visible layer of dust on them.The first king room they put me in had a square box style TV. The desk had obvious water damage. There was a huge crack in the shower as well as a cracked sink. peeling paint on ceiling. The box spring had what appeared to be a red finger print on it. The hotel hallway smells like b.o. I asked for a more updated room. New king room had a flat screen tv, scratched end tables, but no cracks in bathroom. TV Lost reception at one point but quickly came back. View of Travis park would be better if the hotel cleaned the windows.

Room Tip: Ask for a flat screen tv room!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jared B, General Manager at The St. Anthony Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Ted L,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our hotel it is very helpful and important that you bring these issues to our attention in order for us to improve. First, I will alert my housekeeping and engineering departments about your experience to ensure the issues are corrected. I apologize that we didn't meet your expectations during your stay. You may be happy to know that we will be undergoing a complete renovation and update of the entire hotel. I hope you will return in the future so we can go above and beyond to fulfill your expectations.

Best Regards,
Jared Bailey-Hotel General Manager

971 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at the st anthony for three nights in feb 2013,very impressive lobby area,check in was quick and very helpfulf front desk staff.
My room however was small ,ok for me as I travel solo most of the time but for two people I dont think it would suit,it was clean and the four poster bed very comfortable ,bathroom was clean and most likely original ,only minor problem I had was a constant hum from what seemed to be air units at the rear of hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kerrville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

A friend and I spent the night here to attend a workshop at the church directly across the street. We were only a couple of short blocks from the Riverwalk, so we enjoyed strolling there and having dinner Friday evening. Our ninth floor room was fabulous! It was huge, and had two four poster antique amazingly comfortable queen beds, other antique furniture, and two walk in closets! The bathroom was small, but not a problem. The entire room was decorated beautifully and was a pleasure to be in. Our view was only of another building, but we didn't care. We went up to the tenth floor outdoor party area for a gorgeous view of the city. We found the super deal for this premium room (for a Friday night) online. The only drawback was that breakfast wasn't included, but we had our coffeepot and brought some sweetrolls (which we microwaved) and fruit with us, and had our own in-room breakfast anyway!! It was a great experience in an elegant hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed for 5 days during our son's Air Force graduation week. The room was comfortable, roomy and clean. Staff was extremely helpful with any of our inquiries about restaurants, attractions and travel. LOVED the 12:00 noon check out... If you visit Pete's Pub, two of the bartenders (Quynci and Erica) are great, entertaining and full of local info. Although one evening the bartender was not quite so helpful... The place is 110 plus years old which can make combining the history with modern amenities a challenge. Parking one site is expensive considering we were guests of the hotel ($26/day). And when we checked in we were told we would have a "park view" room and we ended up overlooking busy/noisy Navarro St. Over all, the personnel helped make the experience enjoyable and comfortable. Their great staff keeps you from concentrating on the facilities shortcomings. We would stay there again because of the staff and it's location to the major activities in downtown San Antonio.

Room Tip: choose a north facing room because it will be quieter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

When you first walk into the hotel you will be impressed thinking that it is a very elegant old hotel. However once you enter your room all that will change. The carpet is dirty smells like mildew the room is so small hard to walk around. The only chair in the room to sit in is the uncomfortable desk chair. The bed squeaks upon every movement you make in bed, the tv in the room is an old fashion box which shows an unclear picture. Now the bathroom is the worst due to the position of the rod that holds the shower curtain the bathroom door only opens about fifty percent therefore you have to angle your body to enter the bathroom. You have to run the water about fifteen minutes before you can get any hot water. The bathtub was dirty and lighting was terrible unable to see well enough to shave. I'm so happy the weather was mild because the heat in the room does not work. Back to the bathroom very tiny. This property should be downgraded to a One star hotel I've stayed in many motels that were a million times better than this place. I could and would not recommend anyone to stay in this dump. Well the one positive is the omelette that I had for breakfast in the Madrid resturant that was good.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I've stayed here in the past and loved it each time. Upfront, let me say that I like to stay at the turn of the century hotels. They may not have the amenities of the new facilities such as microwaves, refrigerators, complimentary breakfasts, and such but they have an elegance that is not found in the modern hotels. My first stay was in a standard queen room overlooking Travis Park. It was nicely furnished and adequate in size. Most recently, my wife accompanied me and we were upgraded to a small suite. It was quite nice! There was a seating area and very ample in size. The furnishings were nice period pieces. The front desk registration personnel were most friendly and personable. The hotel location is within walking distance of many restaurants, the Alamo, the Riverwalk, and the trolley. When I return to San Antonio, I will definitely stay at the St. Anthony.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The St. Anthony Hotel? Share your experiences!