“St. Anthony San Antonio” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Anthony, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Antonio

You added The St. Anthony, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Antonio to your Saves list
The St. Anthony, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Antonio
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 East Travis Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Formerly The St. Anthony Riverwalk, A Wyndham Hotel)   |
Ranked #154 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Bryan, Texas
“St. Anthony San Antonio”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed here 6/30/12. It IS an older property w/ not many luxury updates but I still like it for the "charm". We seem to get a room w/ a different layout everytime. Who knows how many times the rooms have been reconfigured over the years. Personally, I think it's neat, but my significant other would prefer a modern hotel! It's right across the street from Travis Park where a number of seedy folks like to hang out and sleep but cops on bicycles are everywhere so I never felt unsafe. We paid $20 to park across the street (next to Travis Park) but the lot is fenced and attended so our car was fine. I REALLY like the vintage bathrooms and deep tubs (see photos)! The queen bed was tall, old and squeaky but the bedding was new, fluffy and very comfortable. We always get a good rate so I will continue to stay here when we visit San Antonio!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Denison, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

This hotel should be rated a 1 star….2 at the most. There is nothing nice about it other than the lobby area. From the very beginning the desk clerks where rude to me and other guests as well. While waiting to check in behind other guests I witnessed just how rude they could be. The three groups of guests before us a couple different issues. Two sets of guests had room keys that didn’t work and one of those was given keys to a room that was already occupied with a sleeping guest. The first issue they dealt with was a lady that had already been to their rooms, left their belongings in the rooms only to return a second time and their key cards not work. They were asked for an ID which was left in the room that they could not get into and got a rude response when they told the desk clerk that was the case. Finally given new room key cards only to return a second time for a third set. The second was the issue of given keys to a room that was occupied. They gave no apology to the guests and acted like nothing of the sort had happened. When I finally got to the counter I already knew that Priceline had booked my room for a single bed and would not accommodate us at all. So I began by asking to be moved to a double bed room and told they didn’t have any available and if one came open the next day then we could move. So we made due for the night in a room that would in no way comfortably accommodate all of us and the following morning was moved to a double bed room with an additional $20.00 charge. I was then informed that Priceline didn’t book according to the number of guests so we would be responsible for the additional charge. Even though I was not happy with the situation we agreed to the extra charge rather than change hotels and lose the money already paid through Priceline.
Once we got to our second room I was even more upset with the whole issue. The room was not a 3 ½ or 4 star room. This room had many issue (with photos to go with the claims): the AC was set on the coldest setting and still was hot and muggy to the point that the carpet was wet, peeling paint on the ceiling, mold on the AC air vent, disgusting carpet, a large collection of dust on the bed posts, hair in the shower and the second bathroom had a shower head rigged with what looked like a plastic bag and a ponytail holder, the toilet had some sort of black speckled scum in the bowl, the coffee pot still had coffee in it and the furniture was so worn out it was wobbly. We should have asked for a new room but we had already been told the hotel was booked because of a wedding in the area.
To endure the rest of the 4 night stay we went and purchased a fan to try to help cool the room to a bearable temperature, which didn’t really make a difference. We attempted to us the outdoor pool located on the 6th floor to cool off. The key card didn’t work to get out to the pool and there was another lady trying to get in to get her two children out of the pool. We tried to help her but neither key would work, after several attempts to call the front desk with no answer and trip to the desk about 45 minutes to an hour later the front desk finally answered and came up to open the door.
On our third night we couldn’t stand the heat any longer and decided we would check out early and stay in another hotel. We didn’t get any credit for the early check out and was over charged. They added the extra $20 charge for all 4 nights for the “upgrade” on the room. We used the hotel parking the first night at $20 a day because of the late arrival. We let them know the next morning that we had moved to a cheaper lot around the corner and was still charged four nights for parking upon check out. The receipt was deceiving and not caught until we returned home. We called and they informed us of the extra charges for parking and had to get credit for the overcharge on the “upgrade” for the fourth night we never stayed. They told us we would receive the credit and as of July 11th we have a credit of $109.87.
When we left the St. Anthony hotel we went to a La Quinta and paid $77.97 (room charge plus tax) for a double bed room with a last minute check in, no reservations, and I would have rather stayed the entire time at that hotel. This also included a delicious continental breakfast not offered at the St. Anthony. The room was 100% cleaner! Although it was smaller it was much cleaner and nicer, the AC worked very well to the point of getting to cold during the night.
I am dumbfounded that Priceline would even consider booking this hotel for anyone. The “Pick your Price” feature does not give you any information on the hotel before it charges you so that you may check on the hotel prior to paying for your stay. I am not happy with my experience AT ALL and will not book anything with this site again! I am extremely dissatisfied with the whole situation and have stayed in many hotels and have never had such an experience as this!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This place was really good and could be great with just a few minor tweaks. The location was awesome and very close to the riverwalk and downtown. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and cozy. The room was a little small but that is to be expected in a hotel of this age. The staff was helpful and courteous. I stayed in both room 1035 and 804, 804 had a much better view facing the street side instead of the side of another building in 1035. The only complaint I had was the paint was starting to peel in room 804 in one spot and the bed was very squeaky.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing Travis Park, much better view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Yes, the decor is very charming at this hotel. It's the reason I chose to stay there. The rooms were clean but there were signs of wear that suggest the need for updating. Hallways were a bit worn regarding paint and carpet. My biggest complaint with this hotel was the A/C system. I arrived in late June amidst a heat wave and the room I checked into was unbearable. After thirty minutes, I knew I'd be unable to sleep. The front desk was very helpful and checked me into another room which was somewhat better, but it wasn't great. If you want a modern, updated hotel this won't be satisfying.

Room Tip: I would not choose a room facing the sun in the evening. My room was relocated to the center of the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Sun City, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This place had an amazing location. We walked to everything a tourist would go to. The hotel staff was so friendly and attentive. The lobby and area and all the first floor is so grand..... so this must be where all the remodeling buget went to, because it was not the rooms! Although they say they rooms were remodeled, I would guess some furniture was about the extent of it. It needed paint, and carpet, and more electrical fixtures. We had one king bed in the room, an armoire with a tv, and 2 small night stands with no drawers. There was an actual closet, which was small but nice, but no other storage. The room was TINY!! The bed was a 4 poster that I wish had a step to climb into because it was so high. It was a plush comfy mattress, but the bed squeaked so bad every time you moved, so hubby kept me awake a lot! The bathroom had the old 30s vibe, but was not practical. It had a pedestal sin with a tiny glass shelf above, barely room to put a hairbrush and you toothbrush, much less anything else (like a make-up bag!) It was unique in that it had a separate stall shower and a nice deep bathtub. The problem with the shower is that the tile grout was stained, so it looked dirty even if it was clean.... kind of unappealing to me! We were there for 5 nights, so we had a lot of stuff, as we would be traveling for 2 weeks in this trip all toll. This room was just too small! I did peek into a corner room that was being cleaned on day, and it looked like 2 of our room put together, and this was not a suite! If I had known, I would have asked for a room like that! Because we booked on hotwire, we did not have a room choice when we got there.... we wanted 2 beds and could not get that room type. We were stuck!

Room Tip: Ask about the BIG corner room on the 9th floor!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I would like to start by saying that this is an awesome hotel. Great location and history combine to make it a stay well worth it. I'll do my best to make this as short as possible but before my Pros/Cons list I'd like to just state that you know when booking this hotel that it is an old, historical property. If you want modern accommodations this is not the place for you. However, if you like a historical, majestic feel... book here. You wont regret it.

Pros:
Location- Honestly, you can not beat the location for the price and vice versa. Its just a few blocks from the Alamo, Downtown, and the Riverwalk. Even in 105 degree weather... I made it walking around. :)

Service- From the Valets when you pull up and the Front Desk Staff to the Housekeeping Employees... top notch service.

Cons:
Fees- Parking isn't free with your stay. It was $20 per night for Self-park or $23 per night for valet service. The plus side of that is you can come and go when you want. I found that even though I thought it should be included with your stay, it was the most cost effective option. The reason being that you may find other cheaper per day places near by but you don't have in and out privileges that you do with buying it through the hotel. Just plan that into your budget ahead of time.

Internet- Unless you are a "Wyndham Rewards" member (which you can sign up for free on their sight) you will be paying an unglodly amount for internet access in your room. Though they do have free wifi for guest in the lobby 24hrs.

Room Conditions: Now, I struggle with putting this as a Con because as I stated before, you should know when booking this hotel that it is a historical site. That being said, there are things you will notice like the space between the toilet and the wall, the design/layout of the building, and that the pool is on the 6th floor, that are just odd. While at the hotel I stayed in a room that had two Queen Beds and also two bathrooms which was awesome. However, the toilets in both of the bathrooms were oddly close to the walls. I'm not a huge guy but I'm bigger than average I guess and it was interesting using the bathroom... I know, tmi. Anywho, there are some that you may find different and odd but hey, it's part of the experience of staying a older, historical building. ...Also, some people in their reviews here have complained about scratches on the tables, scuff marks on the wall, and other minor cosmetic issues... It really wasn't that bad.

Over all, I don't really have any horrible complaints about the place and would totally recommend it to family and friends. It does have a bar and restaurant so that was a plus having that on property for room service needs. If you're thinking about staying... go for it!

Room Tip: Join Wyndham rewards online for free and enjoy free internet at the hotel. :)
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I recently stayed here to celebrate a friend's milestone birthday; lucky for me my stay was only for one evening. Several large events were going on in the hotel that evening which slowed things way down, so be sure to check on this before booking a stay. Upon entering the hotel it was evident that it was once an amazing property, historic and ornate architectural elements that takes you back to "yester-year". Soaring ceilings and wide open spaces on the main floor were the best things about the property to me. Despite how busy it was check in was smooth and relatively quick. Now to the elevator, the agonizingly slooooow elevators. Considering the size of the hotel either additional elevators should be added or a service call may be in order. So after several minutes waiting on the elevator I make it to my room and upon entering hear running water. I put down my bags and walk into the bathroom, and sure enough the faucet in the sink was running. I tried to turn off the water but just couldn't turn the faucet any tighter. I called the front desk, no answer. I called housekeeping, no answer. I called the front desk again, still no answer. I closed the door to the bathroom to see if I would be able to hear the water in the sleeping area as a last resort, and it blocked enough of the sound which would allow me to get some sleep. I just didn't want to fool with the elevator again and go back to the front desk. So I unpacked and decided to try to call the front desk once again. As it was getting dark I wanted to turn on the lamp but the ballast fell into my hands. At this point I'm not happy, I've been in my room for less than 10 minutes and have only had problems. That's when I realize that I want to cool off the room, and yes, it was already turned to the lowest setting. It was a hot day in Texas but it will be hotter in the summer so travelers might be uncomfortable in July or August. If the birthday party wasn't in this hotel I would have left. So back to to call the front desk and to my delight I got an answer. I asked to have someone come and fix the faucet. The attendant was courteous and apologetic. The faucet issue was handled promptly and correctly while I was at the party. My last problem was with my bill. Even though I only stayed for night night I was billed for parking twice so I couldn't use the express check out function. Overnight parking is hefty but similar to what other hotels charge ($26/night). The extra charge was removed from my bill with more apologies. The staff needs the corporation to turn its attention to this property and give the support and resources they need to provide a better experience for the guests.

So travelers should be aware that there is very little polish in this property; in fact some areas are just plain dingy. If Wyndham were to invest in a renovation it could be spectacular. Until then, I will probably only stay here again if I was attending a function in the same hotel. It is just okay, that is all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The St. Anthony, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Antonio? Share your experiences!