“Won't be staying here again!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Airport

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Airport to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Airport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1111 Northeast Loop 410, San Antonio, TX 78209 (Formerly Radisson Hotel San Antonio Airport) (Northeast San Antonio)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #189 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Denver, Colorado
“Won't be staying here again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I was SO excited when I found out this hotel had a kids SUITE with bunk beds, so I was all about booking it! It was unavailable on the website, but after a TON of scouting, I finally found it available on another site. I continued to book it, even though I couldn't find ANY pictures of the "kids suite". It was a little over $100, and definitely NOT worth it. I was disappointed with the hotel for that price, to say the least. When you think of a suite typically, what image comes to mind for you? A large room with some type of sitting area, along with other upgrades, key word "large", right? This room was essentially a regular-sized hotel room with a wall in the middle. No joke. The bunk beds were separated from the queen bed by a wall. No couch, no sitting area other than a tiny little table with a chair that barely fit in the room comfortably. The room looked entirely outdated and the bathroom looked either dirty or stained upon arriving, complete with hairs in the sink! The shower and bath ran at the same time because the lever wouldn't pull up all the way. The plus side was that the kids had their own flat screen TV on their side, although it barely fit. The free channels were VERY limited. My grandpa and his wife drove up to stay 2 nights with us, and they stayed in the hotel as well. We checked their room out at one point and it was much nicer than ours! The night we arrived, we had gotten in around 7pm and were all hungry, so we just decided to eat at the hotel restaurant, Cilantro! for dinner. When we sat down, we were the only people in there. The waiter took our order, and it took about 45 minutes to get our food! At least it tasted good when it finally did arrive, although that could have just been because we were so hungry! The lobby area was very nice and there is a nice fountain-type display in front of the elevator with fish on the top. The pool area is nice but I wouldn't consider the hot tub hot at all, more like a warm bath. We only swam twice, and the second time, it didn't look like the pool or hot tub had been cleaned at all, there were leaves and things all over, and there was even a towel that had been dropped in the pool. I'm usually NOT picky or hard to please at ALL, but I was just really upset considering I'd paid over $100/night for the room. That is a bit of a splurge, for me anyway. There was no kind of breakfast included in this rate, although their restaurant does offer breakfast. I called the site I'd booked the room through after the first night to see if they could just refund me because I was ready to just go stay somewhere else. The gentleman said he'd have to check with the hotel to see if they could refund me, and he'd get back to me. He was very nice, he got back to me and said a refund wasn't an option. The area wasn't bad, as there were many restaurants and things close by. Also, it's not a bad drive to downtown San Antonio, only about 10-15 minutes. Considering all the options I'd looked at, even with the bunk beds, I would definitely NOT stay here again. My kids (13 and 9 years old) said that the beds were more comfy at the Holiday Inn we'd stayed in the night before, and my partner and I agreed that our bed was more comfy there also!

Room Tip: Choose something other than the kids suite!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Airport, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
mommamber,

First, I would like to thank you for your feedback. I would love to discuss this review with you in more detail. I've shared your review with the entire management staff at the hotel. Rest assured that we will use you review to better train our associates. I look forward to hearing for you. Thank you again for your time and business.

Guest Service Manage
210-828-9031 ext. 2153

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Sterling Heights, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Great executive rooms, spacious and comfy. The furniture is starting to show its age, but very clean and sturdy. Open WI-FI everywhere is a great advantage. Breakfast buffet very limited but tasty nevertheless. The executive lounge a little cramped but functional, only problem, it does not fully open on weekends. The shuttle bus service very convenient, free to within 3 miles, which covers the airport and North Star Mall.

Great stay, will do it again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Airport, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
OussamaSalah,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. I've also shared your feedback with entire hotel staff and management. If you should need anything further please do not hesitate to contact me personally. My contact information is below. Thank you again not only for your feedback, but your business as well. If your travels bring you back to the San Antonio area I hope you will consider the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport Hotel for your accommodations.

Olmsted Falls, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Enjoyed a conference over 4 days and treated to excellent service with a smile, both with catering and room accommodations. Food and beverage was delicious. Front desk personnel were helpful with travel suggestions around San Antonio as well as business needs that came up during the conference. We booked a bus at the last minute for our group to travel to an area destination and were not disappointed with the experience, right down to the box (actually bagged) lunch provided. Great place for a meeting!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the highway may have a better view, but road noise not an issue.
Terry D,

First, I would like to thank you for providing valuable feedback. I also want to thank you for the great comments as well. I’m pleased to know that your conference was successful! If you should need anything please do not hesitate to contact me. My contact info is below. I hope that if your travels bring you to the San Antonio area you will consider the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport for your accommodations. Thank you for your time and business.

210-828-9031 ext.2153

Greatful
Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel was having some issues when we arrived. The pool was out of commission and I had difficulties with the overall service from the housekeeping staff (i.e. vacuuming and general cleanliness of the room). Customer service and cleanliness are what makes a hotel memorable and I can say that the front desk staff often passed me off to someone else without an explanation or discouraged me from asking for what I needed. The bartender, I wish I could remember her name, she took the best care of me and was anticipatory with her service. I enjoyed my time in the bar (and I'm not a drinker). Also, the drivers were awesome. Adrian was willing to take me to sample a San Antonio taco on our way to the airport. Marco and Robert were also helpful, handing me in and out of the van and taking care of any bags I might have. All of them seemed surprised when I tipped them (which may be a lie but it was a pleasing one). I think if the front desk staff had been more responsive to me, friendlier even, the rating would have been a 4 and if the housekeeping staff on floor 2 had been more conscientious (though I did have one day where I spoke with the maid on staff and she was very conscientious but that might have been because I saw her face), the rating would have been a 5. Even though the location wasn't convenient to the usual tourist attractions, the drivers made getting out and about easier and the bartender made eating in a delight.

Room Tip: All rooms have microwaves and fridges. Some have sinks. Some have sinks and stoves. If you're st...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Airport, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
G1E9P,

I would like to thank you so much for providing details of your most recent stay at the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. I would first like to extend my apologies that your stay with us less than satisfactory. This hotel takes pride in the service it provides. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by not only the management staff but the hotel associates as well. I will also ensure that the associates you mentioned are thanked! If you would like to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your time and business. I hope that if your travels bring your back to the San Antonio area you will consider the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at a bunch of Crown Plaza Hotels, and this one isn't typical of what I've seen at the others. I went through Priceline and paid $87 a night plus the fees, so I probably got what I paid for.

The good:
Lobby is very nice.
Centrally located
Shuttle service was nice and the drivers were great.
Gym was good for a small hotel.

The bad:
Indifferent service... I would call it service with a grimace.
Springy/lumpy beds
Bad tv reception. ( why don't all hotels go to Direct TV or the Dish)
The pool and spa were both closed for repairs. ( not mentioned on web-site). Important when traveling with 10 and 12 year olds.

The Ugly:
Water pressure! It varied between awful and ridiculously awful. It would vary during the shower, and so would the temperature. When you first felt it dropping to a spittle, you better move, because you were about to get scalded.

Another family we traveled with stayed at the Holiday Inn at the airport for $10 less a night. It was a much nicer hotel and they had free breakfast everyday.

I wouldn't stay at this Crown Plaza again.

• Stayed March 2013
Robba1,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us some feedback regarding your most recent stay. I am disappointed that your stay was less than satisfactory. I've shared and discussed the issues that you mentioned in your review with the management team and our associates. . I would like to spend a few minutes with you to get some more details regarding your stay. My contact information is below. I would also like to thank you for your time and business. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Yes, I agree with the others that this is an old hotel. However, you can't blame the staff. Most of them have been excellent providing services for the past two weeks. The front manager has been professional and courtesy with us. One of our shuttle drivers, Adrian, has done an excellent job providing us info. and rides. Also, the night shuttle (I believe his name is Marco) driver has done a good job as well. I probably will not stay here again because of the location and the fact it's a smaller hotel (pool should be further away from the rooms), but if I had to...I know that I can count on receiving excellent services.

• Stayed March 2013
Berty76,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. I also would like to thank you for the great comments you provided regarding our van drivers. Please know that I’ve shared your comments with the management staff and the drivers you mentioned. I hope that if your travels bring your back to the San Antonio area you will consider the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport for you accommodations. Again, thank you for your time and business.

Portsmouth, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had no choice of where to stay this visit, and would never have chosen this myself. That said, it was fairly bearable. The shuttle was late picking me up at the airport, but the rest of the time it was excellent, and they seem to have a policy that they'll take you anywhere in a 5-mile radius and come back when you're ready. That radius includes NorthStar Mall, which has a pretty good selection of stores and restaurants, as well as many other restaurants etc. Our government rate included breakfast, but the restaurant wasn't ready for us the first morning. The breakfast taco I ordered (to go, so I was on our shuttle to work before I found out) was absolutely dreadful, with microwaved hamburger patty broken into several pieces instead of spicy shredded beef as promised - and breakfast tacos are one of my favorite things about San Antonio. The rest of the week they had the breakfast buffet going, and it was fine. I never saw more than a couple of people in the restaurant area outside breakfast time - they claim to have a lounge, but when I dialed it on the house phone the first night to see about getting a beer never got an answer.

My room was in a weird purgatory, about a 50-yard walk from the elevator winding around the hallway and then outside to a breezeway around the pool. I literally couldn't find it when I first got there, was dead tired and went from one end of the hall to the other twice thinking the alcove held only the ice machine, not a doorway outside to my room! The clerk told me only to turn right out of the elevator, didn't mention that it would be an IQ test to find it. As far as I could tell, no one else was staying in that entire area - I realize smoking rooms are less common these days, but really! Otherwise, it was quite comfortable, and certainly very quiet. Housekeeping was a little odd - took my bathmat without replacing, took towels I had hung up to keep another day, etc., but nothing terrible.

i would never stay in this place of my own choice, but it could have been much worse - if you end up here, you;ll probably survive, and I hope you're only paying the government rate, too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Airport, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
SLC624,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport hotel. Rest assured that you feedback will be discussed with not only the management staff, but our hotel associates. I would really like to speak with you regarding you recent stay. My contact information is below. Please feel free to contact me by e-mail or phone at your earliest convenience. Thank you again not only your time but your business as well.

mbenavides@sanantonioairporthotel.com

Been to Crowne Plaza Airport? Share your experiences!