“Not the best, but OK for a week of work training” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Airport

You added Crowne Plaza Airport to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Airport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1111 Northeast Loop 410, San Antonio, TX 78209 (Formerly Radisson Hotel San Antonio Airport) (Northeast San Antonio)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #197 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Augusta, Georgia
“Not the best, but OK for a week of work training”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had no choice of where to stay this visit, and would never have chosen this myself. That said, it was fairly bearable. The shuttle was late picking me up at the airport, but the rest of the time it was excellent, and they seem to have a policy that they'll take you anywhere in a 5-mile radius and come back when you're ready. That radius includes NorthStar Mall, which has a pretty good selection of stores and restaurants, as well as many other restaurants etc. Our government rate included breakfast, but the restaurant wasn't ready for us the first morning. The breakfast taco I ordered (to go, so I was on our shuttle to work before I found out) was absolutely dreadful, with microwaved hamburger patty broken into several pieces instead of spicy shredded beef as promised - and breakfast tacos are one of my favorite things about San Antonio. The rest of the week they had the breakfast buffet going, and it was fine. I never saw more than a couple of people in the restaurant area outside breakfast time - they claim to have a lounge, but when I dialed it on the house phone the first night to see about getting a beer never got an answer.

My room was in a weird purgatory, about a 50-yard walk from the elevator winding around the hallway and then outside to a breezeway around the pool. I literally couldn't find it when I first got there, was dead tired and went from one end of the hall to the other twice thinking the alcove held only the ice machine, not a doorway outside to my room! The clerk told me only to turn right out of the elevator, didn't mention that it would be an IQ test to find it. As far as I could tell, no one else was staying in that entire area - I realize smoking rooms are less common these days, but really! Otherwise, it was quite comfortable, and certainly very quiet. Housekeeping was a little odd - took my bathmat without replacing, took towels I had hung up to keep another day, etc., but nothing terrible.

i would never stay in this place of my own choice, but it could have been much worse - if you end up here, you;ll probably survive, and I hope you're only paying the government rate, too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Airport, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
SLC624,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport hotel. Rest assured that you feedback will be discussed with not only the management staff, but our hotel associates. I would really like to speak with you regarding you recent stay. My contact information is below. Please feel free to contact me by e-mail or phone at your earliest convenience. Thank you again not only your time but your business as well.

mbenavides@sanantonioairporthotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed as part of a large group for 4 nights. Room was clean, but unremarkable. Very limited number of TV channels even as hotels go. The great part was the hotel shuttle that made up for not having a car if you wanted to get to/from the airport, a restaurant or the mall.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Airport, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
AfloatAndy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport Hotel. I've shared your comments with the management staff of the hotel. Rest assured that we are working on improving our TV channel availability. If you should return to the San Antonio area please consider the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport Hotel for your accommodations. Thank you for your time and business. Please feel free to contact me should you need anything further.

Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is certainly NOT a 3.5 star hotel. I may be from the northeast, but I know a 2 star junker when I see one. Firstly, they spray some scent in the hallways to cover up whatever stink that's there. Once you open the door, the odor of 1980 comes out--a lovely mold bouquet. I opened the refrigerator to put my groceries in, but alas! The fridge was not working. After this, I thought I would have a seat by the computer desk and there were suspect stains all over the top of the seat. I posted pictures on Yelp, and once I get around to it, I will post them here as well.

The bathroom was old, musty and needs serious updating. The bed is severely broken in...as a chiropractor I seriously don't recommend this for anyone's back. Luckily I was here on conference and could get my colleagues to help me out. But neck pain, back pain...count on it.

And finally, yes, if you are on a vacation, I wouldn't recommend this location if you want to rest. If you are here to wake up--the alarm of the airplanes overhead are sufficient since they start at 5:30AM. Not good for relaxing by the pool too as they go overhead...

I should give this one star, but the location is great, but I would not recommend this to ANYONE unless they give you a HUGE break in the price.

Room Tip: Don't pick a room here.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear DocJedi,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am pleased you liked the convenient location of our hotel. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment with the condition of our property and the noise. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
New Braunfels, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Checked in for 2 nights on business and was initially very impressed with this hotel. The staff was pleasant, the upgraded room was clean and comfortable, and the Internet signal was strong. The property is older, but very well maintained. I would like to add a couple of complaints, but really just for the purposes of constructive criticism. Number one, while it wasn't a horrible experience, the hotel restaurant could use some attention. I waited too long for an overpriced, undercooked, mediocre tasting steak. The place has potential, they just need to pay more attention. Number two, and this is a pet peeve of mine. After my first night there, I had my do not disturb sign on the door, but awoke to the maid service banging on my door asking me when I was checking out. Why can't the front desk coordinate my check out with the maid service? I wasn't due to check out for another 24 hours, and just trying to relax on a Sunday morning. With all that said, I would probably stay again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Airport, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Michael B,

Thank you so much for the feedback that you provided. Your feedback helps us train our associates and provide the proper guest service experience. I've also passed this review to other managers to help eliminate the issues that you incurred during your stay. . We know that when it comes to accommodations that your choices are endless. I hope that if your travels bring you to San Antonio again please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us some feedback. Thank you for your time and business.

Covington, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This hotel is everything a weary traveler hopes for... Speedy, efficient and friendly check in, very clean comfortable rooms,, a great shower head with lots of hot water, and a speedy wireless connection.
Perfect would have been a room on the back side of the hotel, away from Loop 410 road noise, but none were left by the time I arrived.

• Stayed November 2012
txrubbbbles,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your stay in November. I've ensured that not only the management staff, but also all of the other associates in the hotel have seen your feedback. Again, thank you for staying with the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the San Antonio area that you will choose us again for your accommodations. Thank you for feedback and business.

Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I got a great price this hotel on priceline, $60/night. They listed it as a 4.5 star but I would describe it as more of a 3 or 3.5. An elevator was out and the one that was working made some concerning sounds. The artwork in the room was corny and wallpaper was peeling in the hallways. I didn't have a chance to check out the restaurant or pool. The lobby area was in fact nice and had tons of comfy seating. The room itself was clean. The staff was friendly. The TV had HBO, which was a nice surprise, although it failed to let me check out from the TV. Overall it was a great room for the price but I feel there was some star inflation on priceline's part.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Airport, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dan M,

Thank you so much for you feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. I've shared your comments with both the management staff and our associates. We really appreciate when guest take the time to let us know how we are doing. Feedback is very important in the hospitality business. If your travels bring you back to San Antonio please do not hesitate to contact me. Again, thank you for your feedback and business.

Crestview, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I got into San antonio at 10:30am, and had to be at a wedding that was an hour and a half away by 2pm. I got my rental car and was at the hotel by 11am. I wasnt sure if i would be able to get my room but since I knew I wouldnt be back in town till late I wanted to at least check in. They had me checked in and in a room in no time. I had time to change and freshen up and still got to the wedding early. The resturant down stair was kind enough to call me when my meal was ready so I could wait in the comfort of my room. The room was very clean and in good condition. My room had a small kitchen in it which would have been wonderful if I had been staying longer. The room was spacious and the bed was great! I almost slept better than i do at home. As a single woman who travels alone often, I was also happy that the place had a very secure and safe feel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Mike B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Airport, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Tamara-LLTS,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport. Please know that your feedback has been shared with the entire management team as well as the associates of the hotel. This feedback helps us provide the training that ensures all of our guests are provided with great service. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you should need any future reservations. Thank you again, for your time and business.

210-828-9031 ext. 2153

Been to Crowne Plaza Airport? Share your experiences!