“Great location, Great people, Great room , Too much noise !” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Inn on the Riverwalk

Save Saved
You added Inn on the Riverwalk to your Saves list
Inn on the Riverwalk
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   129 Woodward Place, San Antonio, TX 78204 (East Side)   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #16 of 48 San Antonio B&B and Inns
York Springs
“Great location, Great people, Great room , Too much noise !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2004

What a great location. At the southeast end of Riverwalk. Within a 5 minute walk of all the attractions with no parking hassle That is huge ! The rooms are clean but the plumbing is poor. Dripping showers and sink knobs that will not stay on. No big deal. Don't sweat the small stuff. All staff and owner are first rate. Now I have circled the globe from Germany to Saudi and I tell you these people are good people. However the rates are about 15% higher than they should be. The noise level in the rooms at night is very high !!!!!!!! There is a railraod yard or such close by and all you hear all night is train whistles. I don't mean romantic whistles. I mean Constant every 10 second LOUD whistles. Had to turn TV on with ac and overhead fans to drown out. Now you city slickers might not be bothered by it. Anyhow the establishment is very good. The prices a bit too high for the background noise. I have 3 nights of sleep to catch up with. Not the owners fault and I doubt if anything can be done. Just an honest critique. I like the place very much. Just take a headset for the nights. Honeymoon not applicable. The noise willl have no effect on your night. It will be great !!!!!!!!!!!!!

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2004

When we planned a trip to San Antonio for my son's graduation from basic at Lackland, my husband and I decided to add an element of romance by staying at Inn on the River, which I'd located on the web. While we were very pleased with its location on a quiet extension of River Walk, the experience fell short of other B&B experiences largely because of lack of attention to details there. Unfortunately hospitality was hit-or-miss...perhaps because the owner relys on staff rather than being there for guests himself. Indeed we barely spent any time with him until the last day of our 5-night stay, and at that point he was full of information and suggestions about the area...all too late. The three staff members we encountered seemed well-intentioned but certainly lacking in comparison with other B&B personnel. Our room at the top of the stairs was not the least expensive at the Inn but certainly the smallest we've ever had and haphazardly decorated. The whirlpool tub and well-appointed bathroom as well as our room's access to a shared balcony with a view of the river were pluses as was the attractiveness of the exterior and breakfast room and deck and free parking. If the host were more attentive to the fine points of operating a B&B, Inn on the River might realize its potential.

We found the River Walk to be enchanting and walked there each day, particularly enjoying margaritas and jazz at Cullum's and dinner including guacamole made fresh at the table at Boudro's. The McNay Museum was another highlight. And, of course, we were very impressed with our airman and events at Lackland!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2004

I remember my first time me and my wife stayed at Inn on the River more than 15 years ago. (We've been back regularly ever since). We arrived in San Antonio around 10pm and the New Marriot by the River had just opened and didn't have a room. I remembered an old newspaper clipping in my wallet of a bed and breakfast and since I had nothing to lose gave them a call. A gentleman by the name of Harry answered the phone and said he had a last minute cancellation and had the honeymoon suite available. He gave me directions and we found the place. Harry was out on the porch with the light on and gave us the key to the house. Me and my wife were in an amourous mood and relived our honeymoon in the honeymoon suite. The next morning we had breakfast with Harry and the lady of the house who was in charge of housekeeping. While eating breakfast me and my wife looked up and noticed the chandelier was swaying. Harry said it doesn't take much for the chandelier to sway, especially since it hangs directly below the honeymoon bed. My wife and I still laugh (I laugh more than my wife) when we recall that embarrassing breakfast. We have many more stories, but that gives you an idea of our fondness for Inn on the River. We've met the owner and he has regailed us with his travels with his hot-air balloon trips and his daughter's musical career and had breakfast with people from all walks of life and parts of the world. It's San Antonio's best kept secret hideaway. You can just park your car and take advantage of everthing San Antonio has to offer within walking distance.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2003

We stayed at the Inn on the River for our honeymoon. It was very quiet and romantic. It was on the quiet end of the river, although not a long walk to the river excitement. We had a very restful, memorable experience and the owners were very nice and helpful.

Been to Inn on the Riverwalk? Share your experiences!