“What a disappointment” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Christmas House Bed and Breakfast

Christmas House Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Antonio
Christmas House Bed and Breakfast
You added Christmas House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
2307 McCullough, San Antonio, TX 78212 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #30 of 46 San Antonio B&B and Inns
St Louis MO
“What a disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was anticipating what looked and sounded like a unique and charming experience, only to find a place that should no longer be in business. Judging from the reviews written by others years ago, it was once kept up and well run, but now it is filthy, smelly, and I cannot imagine eating anything in a room that smelled as badly as that dining room did. I had to leave at 4:30 am even though I had been charged in advance for a three-night stay; if they try to charge me for the two nights I didn't stay they're going to have a fight on their hands. Don't think of staying here.

Room Tip: Just say no
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The beginning of October we were on a road trip through the US. After reading the wonderful
reviews online, we booked a one night stay. Upon arrival we found this run down house and thought "what is this". The first step inside was the second shock when greeted by the smell of cat urine and an older woman who had a smell of her own. The parlour was completely cluttered like an old thrift shop. Our first instinct was to go back out the door which we should have heeded.
Because we were tired after 12 hours of driving, we decided to stay.
The room was ok except that it hadn't been properly cleaned this century. The morning however proved to be an even greater shock. We were greeted by the same lady with the same smell and a breakfast that would make McDonalds seem like a royal feast. Coffee with some kind of flavour we still can:t identify, Glasses with OJ that smelled and Pillsbury biscuits that were for the most part un cooked. We passed on all this and decided to get out as fast as possible. I had a cat on my lap constantly and was not happy although we are animal lovers with pets of our own.
My wife had to go to the WC before leaving and asked the lady if she could us the downstairs facilities, The lady said sure but it had not been cleaned in a while. While waiting in the vehicle, I suddenly saw my wife flying out the door saying " let's get out of this place before we both get sick. She told me there was human feces on the floor when she opened the door and left immediately.
We paid $ 90 for this nightmare and hope people will stay away and not run the risk of contracting a serious disease. We travel all around the world but have seen nothing comparable.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Cruces, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Christmas House. It's a cute idea...Our room was clean and comfortable. Penny and Margaret were very hospitable and knowledgeable. The location is great. You can hear alot of traffic and maybe a train or siren but it didn't bother us at all. We prefer that to the noise of a tourist-filled loud hotel above a bar on the Riverwalk or with children/teens running up and down hallways. The house is "cluttered" but everything is for sale and there are some fun Christmas things to look at. If you want to stay in your room instead of see the sights, this probably isn't the best place for you. It was a place to come home to at the end of a long day and go to sleep. The breakfasts were very good, as well.

Room Tip: This is a small place with only 3 or 4 rooms. They are full on weekends so book at least a week in a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

My wife and I stayed here this past wkd with intentions to have a unique christmas-like bnb experience only to find a shock....upon our arrival the place was filthy dirty, the place was covered in dust, like an inch thick, unbelievable...how do you welcome guests this way?... we were afraid to touch anything, and the place was just cluttered with stuff, it was a mess...the backyard where we had to park our car was a mess too, lawn needed mowing badly, leaves everywhere, just looked liked nobody cared...the Santa Claus Rm we had booked was "Nothing" like the pictures on the web at all...it had been redone and not sure what to make of the room, it was a plain ordinary room, Not Santa Claus at all...if we'd known this we would have chosen another room...since we were the only guests in the house, it would have been nice if they offered one of the other nicer Christmasy rooms, ashame that did not happen. Also, the inside was hot but they assured us it would be cool upon our return...when returning that evening it was Still Hot...we were tired and just went to bed...however, after tossing and turning and doing our best to get to sleep, we started sweating...so that's when we had to hunt down the thermostat to find it at 85 degrees, so we lowered it...the hosts were very nice and offered to make us breakfast and whatever we liked....only after seeing the kitchen, we did not want anything cooked for us from there, we decided to eat out each morning...we almost left to stay somewhere else, but they already had our money....we won't stay here again, nor do we recommend anyone else stay here....they need to CLEAN the place...AND update the website with accurate photos, that was mis-representation...again, the hosts were nice and all but I really think they don't care about their property anymore...or that their guests have a nice experience...it's a shame.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
TENNESSEE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

We stayed here in April 2008. We were in town for the final4
championship games. This place was fine for us. We rented
a car but hardly got it out. Bus stops just outside their front
door, will take you downtown for a dollar each way.....
Breakfast was served each morning in the dining room
and if you came in late at night, Penny always had some
fresh baked cookies or brownies waiting on the dining room
table. The cat's were always around to say welcome! I love
cats and have some of my own so this was no problem for
me; however, if you or spouse is allergic, this may not be the
place for you! House is full of antiques items, small and large; &
bedrooms are all upstairs, with lots of books and movies to watch.
My husband and I had the Santa Claus room and it was fine, Nine antique furn., tv, ceiling fan, nice and clean bath, balcony which overlooked busy street but this did not bother us at all. Bed VERY comfortable and I am one that is picky about beds away from home.
All in all, a good experience. Both Grant and Penny are very
nice and pleasing people. Give them a try! Can't go wrong
at this price they offer!!!!!!

• Liked — the owners
  • Disliked — havine to walk the stairs every day!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houstin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

Christmas House reminds my family of going home to Grandmas. It's warm, friendly, relaxed and always welcoming. We return there whenever Trinity University has a family weekend and my daughter takes a break from the dorms to stay with my husband & I in the cozy Victorian room. We enjoy visiting with owners Grant & Penny and have met interesting people staying there. I highly recommend Christmas House. Thanks. Alice Hastings-James

Stayed October 2007
Fort Worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

We have came to San Antonio and stayed down on the Riverwalk, but when we stayed at the Christmas House B&B, we were impressed with the decor, friendly innkeepers, Penny and Grant.,and will not stay any where else. Breakfast is served at the dining room table and the conversation and food is wonderful. The hosts are knowledgable of the area, have done the research and have coupons for many attractions. We are repeat customers and consider ourselves friends to Penny and Grant.

• Liked — Hosta are accommodating
  • Disliked — No weather control(outside that is)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Christmas House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!