“Nothing special... skip” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Henry's Puffy Tacos

Henry's Puffy Tacos
6030 Bandera Road, San Antonio, TX 78238 (Northwest Side)
(210) 432-7341
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Clinton, New York
“Nothing special... skip”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

San Antonio calls itself the birthplace of the puffy taco. As claimant to “Home of the original PUFFY TACOS in San Antonio ” (see www.henryspuffytacos.com) I would expect Henry's Puffy Tacos to honor it's namesake and offer soul-changing puffy taste. Indeed, a sign outside Henry's encourages you to “catch the puffy addiction” as illustrated in metaphor by a hungry man chasing a puffy taco. Sadly Henry's disappointed with sub-par tacos, chips, drinks and service!

I ordered a bean/cheese taco and a shredded chicken taco. My wife ordered shredded chicken and beef fajita tacos (the last marked with a chili pepper on the description to denote its spicy nature). The bean/cheese tasted as expected. The shredded chicken lacked a distinct flavor and my wife failed to find the promised spice in the beef fajita. The tacos were otherwise puffed to standard.

More disappointing were the tortilla chips—the opening salvo and first impression at almost any Mexican restaurant. They were simply chewy from insufficient cooking. Moreover, the server poured salsa refills from a larger version of the carafe IHOP uses to dispense syrup. It was efficient, but off-putting.

While I found the service friendly, the server's timing injured the meal's pleasure. Entrees arrived in less than 5 minutes after the appetizer, forcing a difficult choice between completing the queso dip and starting on the tacos. Had I only known how bland the tacos would be, the dilemma would have resolved itself.

My wife also ordered a margarita. She strongly suspected the application of lime-flavored salt as a lazy alternative to lime juice and salt.

Don't go to Henry's. San Antonio offers a couple hundred other Mexican restaurants, many with better flavors and service.

• Visited July 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
Texas
“Meh. Better puffy tacos to be had for much less money. Overrated.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

The puffy tacos are good. The sangria margarita was awesome, even a bit too strong (I felt tipsy after one and I am no lightweight!) and worth the price. The entire place is overrated, in my opinion. This is San Antonio. Tex-mex restaurants are on every corner... there is no need to pay extra for the same stuff you can get anywhere, and while I know some places can screw up a puffy taco, many other places do it right.

Henry's does it right but why pay extra? Plenty of cheaper options in this town, just as good or better.

• Visited January 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Texas
“Glad We Discoverd This Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

I have never had puffy tacos before and, in fact, had never heard of them until this place was recommended to us by a hometown friend. When we got to San Antonio for a get-away, it was first on my list of places to eat. I LOVED the puffy taco. The flavor was outstanding. It doesn't break into a million pieces like hard tacos but it does have a "crunch" to it. I was afraid it would get soggy as some tacos do, but it did not. The black beans were good and they serve authentic Mexican rice (not Tex-mex rice) which I love. The 2 types of salsa: hot and cold, were both very good. I was not really fond of their chips, though. They were a little thick and tough. I also wasn't a great fan of their margarita but the food was great and I would definitely eat there again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Texas Hill Country
“I always leave here happy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

I have been eating at Henrys Puffy Tacos for a little over three years on a regular basis, I've had just about everything on the menu, and I cant say that I have ever had a bad meal, or bad service, nor have I ever waited more than ten minutes for a table, myself, my wife, and my son. I am no food critic but being raised in the texas hill country,, I know good mexican food. Henrys is not meant to be gourmet, or homemade style mexican in my opinion, but it is very good, from chips and salsa to enchiladas, fajitas, and of course puffy tacos, it is fast, a very laid back atmosphere, clean, and its one of our families favorite standbys, anytime we are having trouble deciding where to go, we usually end up at Henrys Puffy Tacos!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Greasy-nasty west side grub. Drunk/stoned/clueless St/Mary's U student hangout. Not worth the drive, time or trouble.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Been to Henry's Puffy Tacos? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Henry's Puffy Tacos, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.