“Wow - delicious mussels” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
New Bern, North Carolina
“Wow - delicious mussels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

This restaurant was not on my "list" of restaurants to visit while in San Antonio. We saw an ad for it in a local guide. While I tend to stay away from places that are advertised this way, we both love mussels and decided to try it. It was just a short walk from our hotel, Hilton Palaceo del Rio.
We were not disappointed. If it had not been our last evening in San Antonio, we would have gone back.
We each enjoyed the Tilbug beer which was recommended by our fine waiter.
We had the squid appetizer and each had a huge plate of mussels. You get to pick your sauce. I think there were 4 or 5 choices.
Great atmosphere and fine service.

• Visited November 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Antonio
“Absolutely delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

My husband and I had a lovely lunch at La Frite. We began with an order of mussels in light wine sauce. There are a variety of sauces that can be chosen, and one can also order a meal-size portion rather than appetizer portion as we did. The meal size portion comes with French fries. The mussels were perfectly cooked and the sauce was delicious. My husband ordered skirt steak in a wine sauce with mushrooms; it came with the French fried potatoes the restaurant is famous for and mixed vegetables of zuchini, eggplant and carrots in stick form. I ordered the sole meneuiere which was two pieces of lightly fried flounder (no breading)--crisp on the outside and melt-in-your mouth insid--served with cut up potatoes and the same vegetables as my husband. The vegetables on both our plates were perfectly cooked--slightly crisp. The French fries were the best my husband had ever tasted--crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. My potatoes were also fine, but I wished for the French fries. We both ordered dessert. The chocolate mousse was to die for; the cheese cake less than stellar--not New York style--just okay. I wished I'd ordered the creme brulee. The only other downside to our experience was that I had ordered the soup of the day--a fennel-based soup--but our server forgot to order and bring it. The location is a bit away from central San Antonio, but easily accessible with a car. Parking for lunch is on the street. Fortunately, the restaurant was not crowded so we had no difficulty parking. For dinner parking is available at a nearby business. Having lived in Europe for several years, we felt right at home with the small tables and chairs. We will certainly be back.

Los Angeles
“This is one of the best restaurants in San Antonio.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

I found this restaurant online and I'm glad I did. I've had a few meals here and they were all delicious. It's also a really good value for the money. The restaurant is just a few minutes south of downtown and miles away from all the crowds of tourists getting drunk near the Riverwalk. Definitely try the mussels.

Chicago, Illinois
“great bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

.my wife and I found La frite by accident while on a business trip to San Antonio.A great find.We went there both nites we where in town.My wife had steak tartare both nites.and thought it was the best she has had.i had mussels one nite and steak frite the other.Service was great.Easy walk from the riverwalk hotels.They also have a good beer selection.We will be back next time in San Antonio.

San Antonio, TX
“New Owner and fantastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Since January 2010 when the new owner took over, this restaurant has become a real neighborhood favorite. The food is unusual and fantastic and the service is great. My husband loves the mussels in white wine sauce. I like everything and the floating island dessert is reason enough to go there. They have a great wine list and several imported beers, on tap even. It's located in southtown/King William, just a few blocks from the Riverwalk . Right now it is one of those neighborhood secrets, but it probably won't be for long

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere