“Great family hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #114 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Monterrey, Mexico
“Great family hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I´ve spent 5 days with my family at this hotel, the staff was very friendly they even received a package I had delivered to the hotel and kept it for me, the rooms are very functional with a full kitchen inside great for a little saving. The complementary breakfast was good but the better parts is that they are flexible with the schedule, they even had some snacks on the evening. Pool and Gym are very nice small but nice, and also there's a barbecue area you can use. I would really recommended is a great deal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Edward J, General Manager at TownePlace Suites San Antonio Northwest, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Rincon74,
Thank you for staying with us and writing us a positive review. I'm glad our staff was friendly and our breakfast plentiful. I hope you are able to stay with us and enjoy San Antonio again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Great hotel for the money, except for one biggish problem and an annoying little one.

First, the good news: the Towneplace Suites is reasonably priced and attractive, with spacious, well-appointed suites - a very positive first impression. However, the design of the rooms comes with one very problematic flaw: the air conditioner unit is located VERY near the beds and blows cold air directly across them. This is based on my two stays at this hotel in two different rooms. The AC is about one or two feet from the bed and blows frigid air across the side. If you adjust the thermostat warmer, then you get no AC at all until it finally kicks in and blows refrigerated air directly on you again.

Honestly, this is crazy. At other hotels, the AC typically is some distance (two meters or so) from the bed and usually blows toward the foot of the bed (like at the Courtyard where I'm writing this review from). I was fairly miserable all night, either too warm or way too cold. (My only "solution" was to throw a blanket over 70% of the AC unit, thus preventing most of the cold air from freezing me while still keeping the room comfortable during a San Antonio heat wave.)

The other problem is far less serious, but makes me wonder about quality control from manufacturers and at hotel chains. The bathroom sink has no way to let the (dirty/soapy) water drain unless you stick your hand in and flip the drain plug up, which rotates.

Don't know what I mean? Think about the bathroom sink in your home, or at your hotel as you read this. Does it have a mechanical device such as a plunger that you press down to drain the water out? Of course it does. But at the Towneplace Suites, someone decided that it was a cool design idea to force you to stick your hand in the sink after you've shaved (or whatever), then flip the drain plug with your thumb to force it open (good luck!) and drain the water out. I'm sure some 24 year-old fresh out of design school got an award for this idiotic idea. But I'd never put these sinks in a hotel that I managed.

Otherwise, this is a friendly, colorful, new hotel that you can stay in for a bargain price.

If the rooms were just designed so that the AC were placed somewhere else, I've give the Towneplace Suites four stars.

Room Tip: Throw a blanket over the AC!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Isoruku,
First I want to apologize for the design of the rooms including the a/c and sink drain. However, I'm glad we were able to make a good first impression and that the staff was friendly and your rooms spacious. Thank you for staying with us and I hope your enjoyed your stay in San Antonio.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I've reserved rooms over the last 20 yrs & I've only written a review on 1 & it was because of a horrible stay. But I feel compelled to write this one because of the Wonderful experience! This was a leisure trip (family of 4 (2 teenagers) & we stayed for 5 days/4 nights, Mon-Fri. I can't say enough about the the Manager (Edward), Jennifer & the entire staff!! They were all so welcoming & ready to help. Never have we stayed on the 1st floor & I loved it!!! (will ask for the 1st floor all the time now) I was a little leary because of the one bed, but geez it was big enough for my husband, myself & our dtr to sleep on!!! While my son had the sofa bed all to himself. The bathroom was clean & the shower/tub was nice & big! --Loved the mini kitchen & all the amenities. Upon arriving we went to a local store to buy a few things so the kids could munch on during the week stay,(because they're teenagers!!!) in case the breakfast & happy hour were'nt enough. To my surprise & pleasure all the food that was provided was more than enough! We ended up bringing home some of the items we bought! The staff that did the breakfast/dinner/happy hour were great & I want to thank them for all they do! I don't have one complaint about the food! It was all great!!!! The location was great, since we were visiting the Six Flags park. The shuttle service that the hotel provided was excellent. Very prompt!! I Loved everything about this hotel & will stay again. I will also tell Family & Friends! Again, Thanks for making this trip a pleasurable one!!

Room Tip: loved the 1st floor
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
i65,
I am so glad that your stay with us was memorable enough to write a very positive review. I'm happy you were able to enjoy the breakfast, social hour as well as the shuttle service to Six Flags. I will let the staff know you had a great stay and I hope you are able to stay with us again!
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The entrance is a little hard to find but once you get there it is very nice. The front staff was very welcoming. Quiet hotel. Very clean and I am hard to please! Nice bathroom with a good strong shower and nice bath ammenities.

Bonus was the mini kitchen which I did not expect! Has an almost full size fridge, microwave, mini dishwasher and two burner stove.

Comfortable bed.

I was really impressed - very nice for the $$s.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Edward J, Manager at TownePlace Suites San Antonio Northwest, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
CUtraveller-
Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had a great experience with our friendly staff. Our houskeepers work hard to make sure every room is clean and I'm glad it met your standards. We hope you can stay with us again soon and thank you again!
Chihuahua, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Spent short vacations with the family, visiting downtown, Sea World, Zoo, etc. Hotel is in a good location, not so close from highways but also near I-10. Rooms are spacious and clean. Pool is nice and complimentary meals (breakfast and happy hour) are acceptable. I will definitely recommend and stay over again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms were quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at TownePlace Suites San Antonio Northwest, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for your review about the hotel. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy both the breakfast and the complimentary social dinner as well. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you get to stay with us again soon.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed for business but would recommend this hotel for vacation, leisure, or just to get away. Management was excellent. Service was great. All the personel I met were ready to assist with anything that may be needed. The pool and gym are very nice. The breakfast was abundant and tasty. The variety went from healthy to pure cholesterol for all tastes. ;-) I will go back every chance I have. Special thanks to Edward and Jennifer for making this trip a relaxing business trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at TownePlace Suites San Antonio Northwest, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your review and for staying with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in San Antonio and that our staff was able to meet all of your needs. We can't wait to have you stay with us again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

Nice out door pool and grill area. Clean room. Second time at this place, will go back.

• Stayed April 2012
Edward J, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites San Antonio Northwest, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
rswilson1844,
Thank you for your response and I'm glad you enjoyed the pool as well as the outdoor grill. We look forward to you staying with us a third time.

Been to TownePlace Suites San Antonio Northwest? Share your experiences!