“Perfect stay in every way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk

You added Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk to your Saves list
Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 S Saint Mary's St, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #13 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Winnie
“Perfect stay in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

It's hard to believe the reviewer I just read was at the Drury Plaza the same day I was and my experience was so much different! We LOVED this hotel--historical, beautiful architecture, very nice staff. Our room in the San Fernando Tower was immaculate, beautiful, modern, and comfortable. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Everything about our room and our stay was perfect! There is not one thing we would change.

The free stuff was an extra plus. Soft drinks and popcorn were available in the afternoon. Kickback 5:30-7pm had decent food and 3 alcoholic drinks per person. The hot breakfast was very good.

Every staff member we passed in the hall smiled and spoke. The front desk staff was extremely nice and helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I want to like this hotel. I really do. Yes, wi-fi is free. Yes, coffee is free all day. Yes, there is a kick-back hour that provides "free food" and drinks (including cocktails). Yes, breakfast is free. Yes, the 'Riverwalk is a few steps away. Good reason to stay? NO. Have we become those mindless idiots that will take practically anything as long as its "free"? Sleeping rooms should be clean. Beds should be comfortable. Staff should be friendly. That's called 'Hotel Hospitality' its the rule of the thumb for all hotels! My first day at this hotel was a day of madness, of having to wait for a room, that was not available, and then wait for housekeeping to get another room ready. When I settled in I decided to take advantage of the kick-back hour and was nearly trampled over by a herd of food crazed guest waiting to take advantage of the free junk food. All I wanted was popcorn. But to my disappointment I was too late and told that I would have to wait until the next day. I decided to have a free coffee, which involved a sticky counter and a floor covered with trash. The next day, although I was comfortable with my room, I reluctantly complained and asked to have my room cleaned properly. Instead I was upgraded to another room that was reminiscent of the 1970's poor quality carpeting, paneled window and peeling plaster along the window borders. Any Brit will understand what I am describing. Mishaps continued which doesn't merit mentioning. The only advice I can give regarding this hotel is not to stay at this hotel and opt for another that is located a little further away. Its amazing how much more economical it will be and you are not that far from the infamous Riverwalk.
And should the Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk read this review my advice to you: do not tell a guest that your hotel is overwhelmed and fully booked. That's not a good excuse for poor performance. That's why you are a hotel. In conclusion to those reading this review we need to stop thanking our lucky stars for being treated decently. We pay good money to be pampered.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank You for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor review regarding your experience with us. Our hotel clearly did not meet your expectations, nor ours. Please know that we read each and every Trip Advisor review and completed guest service survey form and utilize the detailed feedback to improve our performance, and more commonly celebrate our successes. Please accept our apology for our failures you encountered on your visit, but know they will be invaluable in our effort to provide a perfect stay for each and every guest. We do not use being busy and overwhelmed as an excuse for poor performance and will not start now. We hope you will give Drury Hotels a second chance and allow us to show you the level of service and accommodations we are known for and proud of. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Travel Safe,
Matthew H.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Second time we've stayed here and they didn't disappoint. Always awesome to stay in a place with historical and architectural significance.

The good:
- This used to be the Alamo National Bank and they kept all the Art Deco touches. Beautiful building!
- Rooms also match the decor and the beds are great.
- You wouldn't think the room size would accommodate a recliner but you get one.
- 5:30 kickback with free drinks - 'NUFF SAID! If Annette is on one of the drink stations get in her line ONLY. She will take care of you for your whole stay.
- Well-stocked hot breakfast.
- You didn't pay anything for the kickback or the breakfast.
- Direct riverwalk access.

The bad:
- The rooms are a tad on the small size but not problematic. Honestly, the size adds a touch of minimalist class - see and you will understand.
- Pricey parking - $21 a day. If you can carry your stuff there is a cheaper garage on the next block.

Pro tips:
- If you do it right you can use the kickback as a dinner (there's enough non-snack stuff) and some pre-game drinking for the riverwalk. Snag some late-night queso at The Original once the bars kick you out.
- Coffee, tea, and soda are available in the kickback area 24/7. Bring a drinking bottle for fill-ups to walk around with.
- Pack light and use offsite parking.
- If you valet, call 10 minutes ahead to avoid a wait.
- There is a bank downstairs and they still use the original vault. Go down there right at closing time to see them operate it. The side door stays open (passage sealed) with the innards exposed as a visit.
- Rooftop pool is great, and if you want a nifty spot to bring some drinks there's a nice patio on the other end of the hallway outside - easy to miss.
- Government worker? Bring an ID for government rate - federal, state and local all work fine.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors. If you find a room you really like tell them to note your account. If it'...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
San Antonio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel several times in the past without any problems. On this trip lets say it wasn't so nice. My family and I had went out for the day and when we arrived back the room had not been cleaned. We were very tired and when calling down to the front desk to inquire about the room getting cleaned I was very rudely spoken too. Finally someone did come into the room and clean the room. My husband and I had to leave while the room was being cleaned so we went to sit in the dinning area. The dinning area was very filthy. It was 2:30 and breakfast had ended at 10:00 and it had not been cleaned. There was food all over the floor and tables. The next night my daughter had a period accident and we had left for the day. When we arrived back that evening the room had been cleaned and the bed was made "so we thought" when she pulled back the blankets to go to bed that evening she noticed the sheets had never been changed. This is horrible.... I have stayed here many times and noticed the quality of service has gone way down.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you very much for your return visit to the Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk and for taking the time to share your review regarding your experience. First, please accept our apology for a team member speaking to you rudely. Frankly, it is unacceptable for our team to treat a guest of ours with anything but the utmost professionalism. In addition, we apologize that your room was not cleaned while you were out of the hotel. On future visits, please feel free to stop at the front desk or call as you are departing and we would be happy to prioritize the cleaning of your room while you are out. The last thing we want is to inconvenience you. I want you to know that we have addressed the specific issue you mentioned about your stained sheets not being changed. Our housekeeper should have noticed and changed the linen immediately. This issue allowed for a great training topic in our department. Last, thank you for highlighting the crumbs left on the tables and the floor of our dining area on the second floor. However, I can assure you the mess was not left from breakfast. Throughout the weekend of your stay we had a catering team utilizing our space to serve lunch to a group of active duty military personnel in town to attend training meetings. We appreciate your feedback and will utilize it to ensure we do a better job working with the caterer to ensure the space is left as clean as it was when they set up. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back to a Drury Hotel soon!

Matthew H.
Huntsville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Stayed 7/25/14 - 7/27/14 You have to use the hotels valet parking and pay $22 a day over the room rate, or park off premises in public garage. This is a very nice hotel and has riverwalk access ( you have to go downstairs and walk past all the hotel conference rooms then you come out at a fairly remote place on the riverwalk yet still a short walk to everything ). Hotel was very clean and well kept. Bed was very comfortable ( not a cheap hotel bed ).The rooms are kind of small, but very nice. Large HD TV with 50 or so channels, coffee maker, mini fridge, microwave, and free internet. Also you get a free hot breakfast, its a real breakfast with pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs, etc. In the evening you get 3 free drinks ( beer, or mixed drinks ), and free food ( baked potato, hot dogs, nachos, ravioli ). Combine all these things together and this is the reason I give this hotel 4 stars, and probably the best value on the riverwalk.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way to Houston to see the Red Sox play. Decided to come to San Antonio first so we could visit the Alamo. The hotel is in a building that was built in the 1920's - originally as a bank. There are still remnants of the bank throughout the lobby and in other parts of the hotel. The walk to the Alamo is a quick 10 - 15 minutes. Upon arrival, we were informed about "kickback hour" otherwise known as happy hour. Free drinks and appetizers - great value. The rooms are very clean and roomy. The hotel is in a great area - right on the Riverwalk. Take the elevator in the hotel down to the bottom floor, walk out the door and you're on the Riverwalk. Great place to stay in San Antonio. Staff was very friendly and helpful - no complaints at all.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The best place ever. Very friendly staff. Room is very clean, beds are comfortable and the place is a distance walking for everything. I will tell family and friends to come here, I will coming back .

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk? Share your experiences!