“Conference Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 S Saint Mary's St, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #10 of 352 hotels in San Antonio
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
“Conference Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Drury Plaza is about 15 minute walk from the convention center along the street level. It might take a bit longer by the riverwalk. My room (14th floor of the Alamo tower) was very clean with a comfortable bed and nice bathroom. The hot breakfast (scrambled eggs, pancakes, oatmeal) were wonderful each morning and the staff were very courteous and friendly. I didn't use all the perks (free wi-fi, free hour of phone calls, pool, fitness center), but I will try next time I travel to San Antonio.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

1,526 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was our second time staying at this hotel. It is the Old Alamo Bank building, and they have lots of touches throughout, such as the original vault, old photos, etc to keep that theme going. The Lobby is stunning, with Gold accents and it really takes you back to another time. When we arrived, we waited about 20 minutes for our room to be ready. The hotel had another room available, but the front desk mentioned that a 9th floor room was almost ready, and that they have larger balconies, so we waited. I am so glad we did, the room was really nice and the balcony was HUGE. Our room actually had wrap around balcony, I think the only one the hotel offers, and we had views of the Riverwalk and the church across the street. It had chairs so we were able to sit outside and enjoy the sights each night of our stay. We also used the indoor pool and the rooftop pool. Who would have thought we would be swimming in January, but there we were! The rooftop pool was really fun, great city views with 2 hot tubs. It is fairly small, but we were never crowded although I would imagine in the summer it gets cramped. We also took advantage of the complimentary breakfast offered each morning. It is fairly standard, eggs, sausage, biscuits, muffins, cereal, etc., but free and makes it easy to get something to eat quickly and be on your way. I felt everywhere we encountered staff, such as front desk, parking, and housekeeping, everyone was very nice and accommodating. The hotel is in a great location, we were able to walk to many destinations on our trip, such as riverwalk and the Alamo within blocks. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel and will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Request 9th Floor in San Fernado Tower to have a GREAT balcony!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Great room, so quiet, free full breakfast and happy hour with food and drinks, Riverwalk, roof top pool and hot tubs, good rate. The only downside for us was that our room had no view. But I suppose that was because we used Priceline to book it and had a really good rate.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Byron, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We decided to return to the Drury, because of its location on the Riverwalk and the great service that we received on our first visit. Even though it was just after Christmas, the decorations were still up and were lit at night. Combine that with the Alamo Bowl being played that weekend in San Antonio, and the usual festive atmosphere was intensified on the Riverwalk. The staff at the Drury Plaza were very helpful and friendly. We were always greeted with a smile, and it was obvious that the staff took pride in their work. The "Kickback" social time at night was elaborate and far more than what one would expect when complimentary drinks and food are offered. The morning breakfast was superb, and there was something there for every appetite. The presentation was excellent, and the food was delicious. Our room was neat and clean, and even with the crowds, the elevator service was more than adequate. We will definitely choose the Drury Plaza when we stay in San Antonio, and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Van Vleck, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I, along with my parents went to visit my daughter in San Antonio the second weekend in December 2012. We chose to stay at the Drury because we had previously stayed there before back in 2005 when we evacuated due to Hurricane Ike and we were impressed with the hotel and also because I thought my parents would enjoy the hotel as well. Every thing was going great. Check in was smooth, we relaxed for a couple of hours in the room before going to their evening reception. The reception hour was good. We had our cocktails and light dinner. The staff at the reception was great. Afterwards, we took a walk down the riverwalk and were out for a couple of hours. We came back to the hotel and went up to like the 22nd floor to enjoy the city view. Finally we decided to go back to our rooms. This when the evening went downhill. Apparently while we were out someone entered the room that my parents and 25 year old daughter were staying in and stole her laptop and suitcase. I immediately notified the front desk probably around 7:30 ish. Future hotel guests please be advised, the hotel staff is not properly trained to handle guests during a crisis situation. They will ask you all the routine questions like did you make sure door shut properly (yes 5 adults made sure door locked behind us) etc. They will show your their printout of door activity and tell you no one went in the room etc Long story short San Antonio Police Dept finally arrived at 11:45 partly because one nice hotel staff employee said she would let me know when they showed up because they usually make their rounds. The hotel security showed up (I didn't even know or was made aware they had them) we made our statements and I got my police report. I guess my biggest disappointment was in how the hotel staff reacted to my situation. Yes I realize they were very busy and have other guests, I also realize leaving the laptop in the room was a bad idea. I guess it was just the whole ordeal in how management onsite treated the whole situation that made me angry. I will say this, I did contact corporate and I appreciate how the "corporate" management handled my situation. No they did not compensate me for a new laptop (I wasn't expecting that) but they did manage to take care of me. For that I commend the corporate management. But please future hotel guests, be very careful of what is left behind in your rooms. Times are getting tough and there are plenty of thieves everywhere that are watching you. The Drury is not the only hotel with theft activity. I recently read reviews for other SA downtown hotels and was amazed at some of the stories. This experience definitely taught all of us a lesson!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for the kind words regarding you stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the kickback and amenities at the property. We are very sorry that you had the unfortunate occurrence of the missing laptop. We take the safety and security of our guests very seriously and do everything we can to make sure that your stay is a pleasant and safe one. During our conversation regarding the incident we did interrogate the lock system and showed no other keys used in your lock except the keys issued to you at check-in. We also inspected the closing mechanism and it was also working properly. Please accept my apologies once again for the unfortunate circumstances during your stay.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Recently stayed here for a conference and was treated like a king. Both the included Continental Breakfast and Manager' s "Kickback, " (5:30-7:00 pm daily Happy Hours with hot appetizers and 3 free drinks) make this an ideal place for a conference or a family on a budget. Drury Hotels is not yet a nationwide chain and their controlled growth has resulted in consistent staff quality and professionalism. I have been their guest in New Orleans right after Hurricane Katrina and had the same level of service. It inside an old Art Deco bank building that has retained its charm through tremendous restoration and preservation. It would be hard to do better regardless of price and the location is convenient to all of the historic sites o f the city.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband I stayed at this lovely hotel over Christmas and it was a spectacular experience! The building and all its detail is just mind boggling. From the grand lobby to the original elevator doors - just great. If you are fortunate enough to visit please take a look at the memoribilia on the bottom floor heading out to the Riverwalk. I think you will enjoy it......the former bank vault and vintage photographs. Breakfast was tasty and evening snacks just "hit the spot". It was quite nice to be able to grab a fountain soda and simply relax and enjoy the surroundings. All the staff were so friendly and helpful. The suite was quite comfortable with a breathtaking view of the Tower Life Building and the rest of the city. Please take a chance - it will exceed your expectations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk? Share your experiences!