“Impressive” 5 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
San Antonio Symphony
222 E. Houston St, P.O. Box 658, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Downtown)
210 554 1000
Dallas, Texas
75 attraction reviews
“Impressive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We attended a performance of Handel’s Messiah performed by the San Antonio Symphony. The program opened with a brief introduction to the Messiah before the music started. Although I’m very familiar with the piece and have heard it performed live before, I thought this was a good idea in case there were people in the audience who weren’t familiar with it. This performance was held in a church rather than in the concert hall where I’d seen them play a Tchaikovsky symphony a few years ago, so it was performed in the type of setting that Handel had originally written it for. I think the acoustics might have been better in a concert hall, since the instrumental music overpowered the vocal soloists in some places. What stood out for me in this performance was that it was the first time that I’ve heard a male counter-tenor sing the alto solos, which is how it was performed in Handel’s time. This attention to historical accuracy impressed me. I will be making a point to check the Symphony’s schedule on future visits to San Antonio to see if there will be any performances while I’m here.

Visited December 2013

San Antonio, Texas, United States
13 attraction reviews
“The city's treasure.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

If the symphony is scheduled when you are in San Antonio, I urge you to take advantage of our orchestra. Although I have only gone to the classical series I am positive the pops concerts are an equally wonderful evening. We buy season tickets every year and hate to miss a concert when we have a conflict. This year the symphony will be featuring and a part of the Brahm's Festival. I recommend without any reservations.

Visited November 2012
San Antonio, Texas
5 attraction reviews
“not big on symphonies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

im not a big fan of symphonies but when we were required to go for class it never bothered me. the SA Symphony is really good, especially when they perform the Star Wars soundtrack

San Antonio, Texas
9 attraction reviews
“Small city great symphony.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This orchestra, Symphony is a class act and a must see. It is in league with all big city symphony's. The one problem it faces is funding. It has struggled over the past few years and that's a shame. Come out and support the arts and culture in San Antonio. Keep art alive.

San Antonio, Texas, USA
29 attraction reviews
“Took my Mom for her 60th birthday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

They played at the Majestic in conjunction with a magic show and it was phenomenal! How can anyone say a professional symphony is terrible?