“Very nice, great location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Colorado
“Very nice, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2007

My family of 5 loved this place. The suite was very comfortable for all of us. The pool on the top floor provided a great view of the whole riverwalk area. Location was perfect as we could walk out the door and a short walk down the river to many restaurants, La Villita, and the Alamo. Any interaction I had with the staff was very pleasant .

I saw one reviewer had problems getting a crib and I just wanted to note that my reservation confirmation stated no cribs or roll aways.

• Liked — beautiful hotel chosen for the location
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

From the very beginning of our stay, the Hotel Contessa was perfect. The suite was beautifully appointed, the bathroom was extra large, and the view of the Riverwalk from our room was very romantic. The staff were very professional and were genuinely interested in making our stay the best. We breakfasted at the on-site restaurant and had remarkable service and excellent food. The pool was a great hit with my daughters, especially the view from the windows around the pool and the elevator ride up "through the roof".
The only negative in the whole stay was the service from the bar. There is a huge atrium with clusters of chairs throughout. We probably sat for about 30 minutes before I realized no one was going to come by to take our order. After delivering the order, it was another hour before we saw our waitperson again. She dropped off our bill, and promptly disappeared. After another significant wait, we decided to bring our bill to the bar and just pay there. The bartenders ignored us. I finally got tired of waiting, stuffed some cash on top of the bill and left it at the bar.
As you can tell I wasn't so put out that it affected my rating of this beautiful hotel. One added bonus to the location is that there is a Five & Dime right down the Riverwalk for buying all those snacks that look so yummy in the minibar, but cost way to much to indulge. Do a little snack shopping, sightsee, then hit the pool in the afternoon. Oh, and forget eating at Casa Rio. It may look charming sitting on the bank of the Riverwalk, but the food was seriously gross!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bar staff
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Contessa in San Antonio the last weekend in July. First, the good stuff: Beautiful rooms, Perfect location (the most quiet, beautiful part of the river walk in my opinion), wonderful lounge area & restaurant and bar. The beds were absolutely the most comfortable I have ever slept on in a hotel and we travel often so that is really saying something. My children loved the ease of walking right on to the river walk and they both spent hours swimming in the rooftop pool (which is very clean and the views are wonderful!). The soap, shampoo, etc that is provided with the room is also some of the highest quality that I have seen in a hotel of this price range - very nice! Over all, it was a nice stay and we might stay there again. Now, for the bad: Housekeeping never cleaned our bathroom during our stay and they never replenished our toiletries. This is important because we flew in to San Antonio so I chose not to pack shampoo, etc. We were relying on the hotel to provide those items. On our second day there I called Housekeeping several times and no one ever answered. I ended up calling the front desk and telling them that our bathroom had not been cleaned, we needed new toiletries, towels. They said they would send someone. Sometime in the afternoon someone came and picked up our dirty towels and left a note saying they would be back with clean towels later. By 9 PM that night we still didn't have any towels to wash up and we still didn't have any shampoo, etc and the bathroom was still dirty. Again, I called housekeeping with no answer so I called the front desk. I told them the bathroom had not been cleaned, and that housekeeping was not answering so could someone please send up towels and a new set of toiletries so we would have shampoo to wash our hair in the morning. The front desk didn't apologize for anything, just said they would have them sent up. After 10:30 PM (we were in bed) they finally knocked on the door and only brought towels. The next morning as soon as we got up I called housekeeping and this time they answered. I explained again that our bathroom was never cleaned and that we were all getting up for our showers and needed shampoo, could they please send some up? She said they would send some 'right away'. Over an hour later someone arrived with towels - only towels. At this point we had to get ready and couldn't wait any longer for shampoo. There was never an apology for the lack of response. I also noticed that while the sheets were very comfortable they were stained and had holes in them and some of the pillows were ragged and frayed. While these things are merely cosmetic, they again reflect on the poor job that housekeeping does at this hotel. We also noticed it was pretty dusty so I assume they do not dust daily either. To sum it up - great hotel, beautiful, and wonderful beds with a great pool and location on the River walk. But - you may want to ask for extra towels and make sure to bring your own shampoo.

• Liked — Beds/Pool/Lounge
  • Disliked — Lack of Housekeeping
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Round Rock, Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

This hotel worked for our family. We enjoyed our stay at the Contessa. The rooms were large for our family of 5. We love suite hotels since they allow us to put the kids to bed in one room and we can relax afterwards in the other room. The dinner at Las Ramblas was great. I had the tenderloins and was very impressed. The breakfast buffet was fine but not great for a luxury hotel. We've had better. I'd prefer that they had a build your own omelet stand instead of ordering at your table.

The hotel is a little off the beaten path which makes for a more quite experience. This is good when you're trying to get the kids in bed by 9pm.

Even so, you can still get to the main Riverwalk area within two blocks if you walk on the street area. The Riverwalk Mall is just one more block down. It takes much longer if you walk the winding path of the Riverwalk and it’s not good for strollers.

Valet parking is very expensive at $25 per day. We did that the first day. But the next two days we paid $7 per day at the parking lot across the street and to the East next to Schilo's Deli off Commerce Street. If you get their late, the lot will likely be full. There are further parking garages all around.

San Antonio Riverwalk area is great with so many things to do. With a million restaurants, River Boat Rides, Alamo, huge River Mall, IMAX, Sea World, Fiesta Texas...you can't go wrong.

• Liked — The Hotel offered Suites
  • Disliked — parking was expensive
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

Just back from a 4 day stay at the Contessa, and this is one of the best hotels I've stayed at. Even after getting a great rate through Expedia, this hotel exceeded all of our expectations.

First of all, its located right on the Riverwalk near everything you'd want, however its set aside on a much quieter section of the river so you dont get the noise and crowds that the other hotels get. The rooms are beautifully decorated and spacious, with separate living area, good size bathroom, small hall area and then the bedroom, which has floor to ceiling windows.

The hotel's restaurant was great, especially for outdoor dining. There is also a lounge with indoor and outdoor tables. On the rooftop there is a small pool and fitness centre, but If you dont have kids, consider visiting the pool around 5 - 7pm when families are off eating dinner. The hotel also has a spa, though it lacks in amenities right now (no sauna, jacuzzi, lockers, etc.) I would suggest walking the 2 blocks to the Watermark Hotel for spa treatments. You'll pay a little more money, but will also enjoy more space and amenities.

The last thing I'll say about the Contessa is how great the service was. Everyone - from the bellhop to the front desk - was extremely personable and efficient. The staff goes to great lengths to remember who you are, and greets you accordingly. The few times we needed something, someone was at the room within 5 minutes of our calling. The Contessa is elegant, and upscale, but not stuffy or pretentious. I couldn't recommend this hotel more, I loved it!

• Liked — large, beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — the bathroom doors were a bit hard to open
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

This has to be the most un-child friendly hotel I've ever stayed at. I don't expect disneyland, mind you, just a crib to be delivered, at least within 5 hours of request. After my fourth request, the very rude front desk informed me that they had to "find" a crib. (REALLY? They had been searching property for 5 hours to find a crib?) I thought a four-star hotel had to carry amenities such as cribs to maintain ratings. I certainly would not have booked there had the hotel informed me getting a crib would be an ordeal.

In making so many phone calls to the front desk I can tell you that often you are put on hold up to 10 minutes, cannot get a hold of a manager on demand and will be treated rudely if you are not off the phone within 30 seconds of them answering.

The rooms were great, wonderful location, it was too bad the service was so poor. The pool on the roof is nice, and they make the best pina coladas I've ever tried.

I hope management pulls it together. It would be nice to have another good option on the riverwalk.

• Liked — The room was great
  • Disliked — Poor customer service, not child friendly
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

This was by far one of the best hotels ever! The ambiance was great and if we visit this area again this will be our hotel of choice. It is also conveniently located near the riverwalk.

Stayed April 2007

Been to Hotel Contessa? Share your experiences!