“Nice Hotel, Bad Front Desk Service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
marinewife_tx
“Nice Hotel, Bad Front Desk Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed here with our 10 month old daughter for 3 nights at the beginning of August. The hotel is very nice, all rooms are suites with separate bedrooms, and a good location. It is on the Riverwalk but not at the busiest part, which we preferred. We chose this hotel because of the suites. Since we were traveling with our baby who goes to bed at 8:00pm, we wanted a separate bedroom so that we could put her to sleep, shut the door and still stay up and watch TV without disturbing her. The rooms were spacious, clean, and nicely decorated. It is set up like a small one-bedroom apartment (minus a kitchen).

We ate at the on-site restaurant, Las Ramblas, one night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food was excellent as was the service. Our baby had gotten tired and fussy before our meal was served so we asked the waiter to change our order to take out. He instead brought it up to us as room service so that we could see the beautiful presentation. He set it all up for us on the dining table and was so polite. All of the food was good, but we especially enjoyed the Beef Tenderloin Kabobs.

Our only issue is with the front desk service at this hotel. They were snobby and rude every time we went up there. When we booked the reservation on the hotel's own website, we requested a crib for our baby. At check-in, I asked about the crib and the woman at the front desk said she'd have one sent up to our room. The bellman also said he'd make sure we got one. They NEVER brought it up. Luckily, we had our Pack 'n Play with us so our daughter slept in that for three nights. My next visit to the front desk was b/c my key card stopped working. I walked up to two people working at reception who were in conversation with one another and they did not stop talking to help me. I stood there waiting for them to finish and they just ignored me. I finally had to "get their attention" which seemed to annoy them. When I told them that my key had stopped working, they immediately accused me of putting it next to my cell phone or credit cards and that deactivated the key. The truth was, I kept the key in the cardboard holder in a separate pocket of my bag the whole time, so there was no way that happened. But regardless, even if had been a mistake on my part, they should not use an accusing tone with customers. And lastly, at check-out I told the woman behind the desk that we never got a crib and all she said was, "Oh." No apologies or anything else. It is unfortunate that a nice hotel would have such rude people working at reception. It really makes for a bad first and last impression.

Luckily, the rest of the staff is friendly (valets, bellmen, housekeeping, and food servers). Perhaps, the front desk staff needs some customer service training.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your experience while staying at Hotel Contessa. We are very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. I would like to apologize for the lack of service you received from the Front Desk staff, this is not a norm and rest assured that these have been shared with our management staff. I know this does not change your experience but know that without your comments we cannot continue to make improvements.

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your stay at Hotel Contessa.

Sincererly,
Wende Blumberg-General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
Murphy, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

My hubby, 4 yr old son and I really liked the look and feel of the hotel. The suite was spacious, the beds were comfortable, the bathroom was large and clean. The bathroom doors do not lock, but the double doors closed tightly without crack. The Aveda products were nice for me. We got a great rate at Hot Wire, so we had double beds upon arrival instead of a king. Although we were hoping for a king, the double beds worked out OK. Our view included the parking garage so we could keep an eye on the SUV. We were able to get a refrigerator and microwave delivered to our room for $25 each. Upon arrival, we had to valet park because all of the lots were full due to weddings (we stayed Sat - Wed). After Saturday, we were able to self park in the garage in the next block (same place where they valet park your car). The hotel staff was very friendly. A young man named Prince was our first and last contact at the hotel and he was a great example of the hospitality of the folks at the hotel. (He parked our SUV and helped us back it out). The least friendly (not unfriendly) were the front desk people but they were fine once you approached them. I didn't notice the concierge. The restaurant is right on the river. We enjoyed the breakfast bar where there was fresh fruit, bacon, eggs, pancakes, yogurt, etc. They also made great omelettes. One evening we enjoyed the restaurant's happy hour with half priced tapas and $5 margaritas.
For us the location was very convenient. We were right on the river so we just walked to all of the attractions on the River Walk. We even walked to La Margarita (not on the River Walk), which took us by less touristy areas. It was a little scary on the way back because it was dark and secluded in spots, but we made it without incident. I think the self parking was about $15 a day and valet was $28. The hotel looks new (5 yrs old). The exercise room and pool area looked nice, however we didn't have a chance to use them. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Smithtown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We were reasonably happy with our accommodations at the Hotel Contessa. In New York such a finely appointed suite would go for at least $400. Through Hot Wire we were able to secure our room for $109 a night. Located on the River Walk the Hotel has a classy entrance and check-in desk area. Our suite consisted of a good-sized sitting room, beautiful bath and a decent sized bedroom with closet. Both of the rooms had flat screen TVs and good lighting. On the down side, little details were overlooked by the staff but not enough to detract seriously from our stay. For example, the light over the bathroom sink was out and never replaced and the sitting room TV kept flipping from one channel to the next without anyone even touching the remote.

Perhaps the best thing about the Contessa however was the location. San Antonio is indeed very hot and humid during July and it was nice to not have to walk too far to reach the Alamo, the River Walk or the Mercado. The hotel is also about a 15 minute drive from Fort Sam Houston. Since our daughter was in officer training there it made it easy for us to visit with her. It was also easy to reach Johnson City, the boyhood home of LBJ and the Texas White House, both sights well worth seeing. Of course if you have a car during your stay, you will need to pay $30 a day for valet parking at the Contessa but if you are renting a car there are some good bargains to be had if you don't mind a compact car. We were able to secure one for less than $10.00 a day so the valet parking charge did not seem too unreasonable considering we had the benefit of coming and going as many times a day for only the $30 fee.

One last point is that since there is no complimentary breakfast you will have to eat in the hotel which is not cheap but not outrageous or know ahead of time where the less expensive eateries are. We opted for the dining room for two mornings and the food was good and service excellent.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I've been using hotwire for years and love the discounted rooms. Not this time. The room was in poor shape. Mirror on the floor, bathroom door broke, coffee maker broke, and mold on the tub.

The people were condescending at check-in and we were denied a single king bed. Then they offered us a room with two queen beds. When we got up there, the room had two doubles. We tried to call both the front desk and the operator, but all we got was a "quick busy tone" indicating that they had blocked our room from getting through. So I called the front desk from my cell and was informed that there were no queen beds in the hotel.

Oh, and parking was $30 a night so make sure you add that to your estimated trip total.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

We got a $188 AAA rate for a riverview king at the Hotel Contessa so we gave it a try. We visit San Antonio two or three times a year and when we're with our son, we stay at the Drury Plaza. When he's not with us we try the Hyatt Regency, the Westin and another which I can't remember at the moment.

It's on the quiet part of the Riverwalk - great! If you want to get to the busy part of the Riverwalk quickly, you can walk around the corner and take a passageway down to the river.

The rooms are suites and the furnishings are nice and there was a lot of furniture. I think this hotel used to be an Embassy Suites, so imagine Embassy Suites decorated in a somewhat Spanish style. Our room was clean. The bedding was cozy.

The hotel has a nice bar and a restaurant. We tried room serrvice and it was bad - even for room service. We didn't eat it. The food was way over seasoned with either garlic powder, onion powder or something. Unfortunately I can't recommend the food.

Service was friendly and helpful. We arrived at 1pm and they allowed us to check in. A Riverview King was not available so they offered an "upgrade" to an Executive King City View. The room was big but with a lot of street noise. I knew that might be a risk but we took it anyway so we could put our things away. For us it wasn't an upgrade. We don't need an enormous living room. I would have strongly preferred a quiet room, but we were only staying one night. They flipped a room for us to get into quickly - nice!

We didn't use valet. We always park in the self park on Market.

Lots of room for families in these rooms, but if you're a light sleeper avoid the city side rooms. Many of them are above a bus stop with buses running all night.

I think we'll be staying here with our son in the future if we don't want a pool. The Contessa's pool is very small especially compared to the pools available at the Drury; however, it does have a bar. We didn't use the fitness center, but we took a look and it had lots of equipment.

Great service - large nice rooms - quality compares to the Westin, but with a lower rate

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
I appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your experience while staying at Hotel Contessa. I would like to apologize for the less than satisfactory food you described in your riview. Rest assured that your comments have been shared with our Food & Beverage management. I know this does not change your experience but know that without your comments we cannot continue to make improvements.

We look forward to having you as guest again in the future.

Wende Blumberg-General Manager
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

My child and I spent two nights at this hotel with my husband while he attended a work conference. The set up of our room was fantastic. There was a bedroom for my husband and I with an attached living room area with a pullout couch for our child. There was a lockable door between the two areas for privacy. Each area had a tv in it. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. We enjoyed using the rooftop pool but it was very small and filled with young noisy children at all hours day and evening. The hot tub was lukewarm with barely any pressure from the jets. The gym is well equipped and we had a good time there but the water dispenser was empty. We enjoyed "Happy Hour" at the downstairs bar with $5 margaritas and $3 domestic light beers and $4 rib snacks. There is a nice spot to meet up with family and friends in the area by the Riverwalk entrance. The breakfast buffet was included in our business stay plan and it tasted very good but was just your average hotel type breakfast. The servers at the bar and at breakfast were friendly, courteous, and efficient. The hotel is in a great spot on the Riverwalk and my child and I felt very safe as we walked along the Riverwalk to various destinations.

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
CLFerguson, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, August 2, 2010
Thank you so much for your positive review, we truly appreciate your kind words. Our goal is to cater to every type of guest and we are pleased that your "business traveling family" felt comfortable and safe at Hotel Contessa. We also appreciate your feedback on our breakfast buffet. We strive to be beyond ordinary and missed the mark. We will share your comments with our team and continue to improve.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Stayed here two nights for a concert. Booked a double bed, but when arrived they stated that it is no guarantee and that the expedia booking is just a request but not for sure. We were stuck with a one queen bed. However the living room couch does open up to another bed. Nice layout though. Comfy bed and pull out sofa bed.

Pool upstairs is nice and they do have movie night, the bar is decent, and overall clean facility. Right on the Riverwalk, and not far from the riverwalk areas at all. You can walk the whole river walk in probably 15-30 min. Location is good, Spa facility preseent as well

Pool is open 6am-11pm

Fitness center is 24/7

Spa is 9a9p daily

Internet is 9.99 per 24 hrs...

Had to request extra comforters

Bathroom was clean but could do better job to remove the mold/mildew from the siding

Parking is only valet or parking lots/garages that cost $10-20 a 24 hrs, or 30 overnight valet parking... If its the weekend after 6 or sunday, than the parking meters are free.

Did not try the resturant

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
We always appreciate reading reviews from our guests regarding their experience while staying at the Hotel Contessa. While we appreciate your acknowledgement of the facilities and amenities that you enjoyed in our hotel, we also take serious note of the issues you had with the the cleanliness of the bathroom siding and rest assured that this incident has been addressed with the housekeeping department.

We take great pride in providing a standard of quality to our guests and I hope that you will consider us for future overnight accommodations.

Wende Blumberg

Been to Hotel Contessa? Share your experiences!