“Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

i stayed at this hotel during a weekend get-away and it was a beautiful hotel! on the boardwalk and was soooooo affordable! Definitely get your moneys worth

Stayed September 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
Kansas City, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

Hotel Contessa is in a great location and the hotel was very clean. But, we were continually disappointed with the service. There were so many instances where we asked for something, told it would happen 'right away', and then disappointed when we had to ask a second or even third time. It became a running joke and we started to refer to the hotel as the land of broken promises.

When we checked in we were greeted by Eddie - a fantastic bell man that took all of our luggage to our room, ensured everything in the room was to our satisfaction, asked if we wanted ice (we said yes), and if there was anything else he could get for us. We asked for some additional hangers and towels since there were four of us in the room. We happily handed him a hefty tip because we were so pleased with his "do anything to please" attitude. Three hours later - no towels, no ice, no hangers, and no sign of Eddie. So after a phone call to the desk we eventually got our towels and hangers.

We went to the bar for drinks & tapas and I do have to say they make the best margarita in San Antonio and the tapas were excellent. A manager came over and was very friendly and helpful with suggestions for seeing the city. He even printed us some information on the rodeo that was in town.

Later we went to dinner and stopped at the front desk to ask them to make up the pull out couch while we were at dinner. Three hours we returned from dinner and the bed still hadn't been made. So we called and someone came up pretty quickly.

The next day housekeeping didn't give us extra towels so we called down and asked for more along with some extra wine glasses. We returned several hours later - no glasses and no towels. After a second phone call they were brought to the room.

We stayed at the hotel for five nights and this pattern continued every day. I don't think there was one time when our request was fulfilled the first time. On the third day housekeeping still had not given us any additional toiletries - not even a fresh bar of soap - so we left a note asking for replacements. No surprise... they didn't get replaced, but when we left a note again on the second day we did get them.

All in all, the hotel is in a great location and it's very clean. And anyone we spoke to in person was pleasant. But I was disappointed that they couldn't follow through, especially since none of our requests were difficult.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

Started out bad from the get go when we arrived at least an hour after check in time and told our room wasn't ready. We were basically told to go away and they would call us when it was. Then our room was on the street side and even on the 10th floor the noise kept us up all night. (I didnt' know that we'd be put there and had specifically asked to be away from the elevators so it would be quiet...little did I know) Then we had nothing more than a sheet covered, thin duvet on our bed. There was no flat sheet or blanket and so we had to crank the heat to be comfortable. The old bathtub in the updated bathroom was a big turn off too. Then we discovered a scrape on our wheel well where obviously the guys who valet parked our less than one year old truck put it in a tight spot. For an anniversary celebration it was a big let down. We won't stay there again. It's pretty an all to look at but so not what we expected.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

I booked this hotel way in advance for Valentines day with my wife. Upon checking in, I was informed that all of the King beds were already taken and they were going to put us in twin beds. Priceline wouldn't help and neither would they! I payed extra for a nice room with a king bed and literly got screwed!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

We arrived prior to check in so the room was not available, no problem though the staff checked our luggage for us. We were in San Antonio to attend a convention and picked this hotel because it was within walking distance. The staff gave us directions which were just a few blocks up the street, and they called and told us when the room was available. Later when we returned for the night, the doorman welcomed us back, the front desk staff gave us the keys and said they would have our luggage sent up to our suite. The Suite was magnificent and lived up to the hotel’s description. The front desk called the room an hour later to ask us if we needed anything and if the accommodations were to our liking. The staff greeted us every morning when we left, and in the evening upon our return. The view of the River Walk is amazing. The mini bar items were very pricey, but we’ve never use these anyway. We always grab extra water & soda from our convention meals to take back to the hotel in the evenings.
The Contessa is one of the newest hotels in downtown San Antonio, and it received San Antonio’s #1 hotel for 2009. The restaurant Las Ramblas is Zagat rated and has both indoor & patio seating along the river walk. The Cork Bar has a wonderful lounge area and a huge flat screen TV.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

As I pulled up into the hotel I was stopped and ordered to back up by rude a man.. His hand gestures were made wildley at me as he ordered me to back up.. As i tried to speak to the so called valet manager he had a bad attitude and would not speak to me until I pulled up in the right lane that he was poining to, like I didn't exist. I couldn't believe that the the way he was treating me was called customer service..He name was Christopher E. I encountered this same arrogant man as I waited for my vehicle.. The frontdesk staff was great and the bell service was warm and friendly,, I love the location and rooms were very nice..Over all it would have a great place to visit again if the Valet manager knew what customer service was..

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
CarolinaBeach ,NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

The staff is very friendly and helpful and always greets you with a smile. This is the second time I've stayed in this hotel and both rooms have been very spacious and clean. The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms have nice towels and amenities. It's located on a more quiet end of the riverwalk, but is still less than a five minute walk along the river to the heart of all of the restaurants. I travel to San Antonio at least once a month (for an entire week) for business and always stay in a hotel on the riverwalk. This is by far my favorite hotel that I've stayed in so far.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Contessa? Share your experiences!