“Great hotel in the heart of the riverwalk!” 5 of 5 stars

Relaxing Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
HOUSTON
“Great hotel in the heart of the riverwalk!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My initial reaction to the hotel was, wow. This is impressive. First off, let me say that up until my stay I had the best interaction with the hotel. Their reservations agents (especially Tanja Hollister) were exceedingly helpful, especially when I had some issues arise with my reservation. Then the hotel concierge got involved (Marivel) and she really took the experience to another level. Her professionalism and dedication to her job helped craft a wonderful first anniversary weekend with my wife. She ensured that there was everything I had asked for.
When we arrived in our room it was magical. Their suites are quite impressive. (Helpful hint, ask for a riverview room as they are amazing, we were in suite 523 and I couldn't have been happier). Spacious, modern and just overall fantastic, we really didn't want to leave the room all weekend.
But Las Ramblas and Cork Bar were waiting for us. They both had fantastic drinks, tapas and Mediterranean/Spanish cuisine. The white sangria is amazing. You simply must order it while you're staying.

At the end of the weekend we didn't want to leave. The only thing I can say is thank you to everyone involved. When we come back to San Antonio we're definitely staying with you again. And I'm recommending the Contessa to everyone I know.

Room Tip: Ask for a River View suite. Simply incredible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Contessa, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear MATTHEWH,
You got us with "WOW"! We love hearing how our staff members made such a difference for our guests. I especially appreciate you mentioning both Tanja and Marivel and that they were able to help create a memorable and special anniversary weekend for you and your wife. It is our great staff that separates us from all others. We are glad that you had time to enjoy the Cork Bar and Las Ramblas. Our new menu featuring incredible tapas, Mediterranean/Spanish cuisine and handmade Sangria has been a big hit with everybody. We truly appreciate your very high compliments and your recommending of Hotel Contessa to everyone you know. We could not ask for more. We hope to see you back for your 2nd Anniversary...if not sooner!

1,647 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Contessa for a business. The meeting rooms and support services provided a pleasant work environment. Overall the guest rooms were spacious and comfortable. The staff was amiable and efficient. Food with a Spanish inspiration was delicious and the outside seating venue was very enjoyable. The river meanders right outside your door with restaurants and points of interest at your doorstep. When visiting San Antonio for business or pleasure consider the Hotel Contessa.

Dear GRK50,
We are very pleased to hear that you found our meeting rooms and support services provided for a pleasant work environment and our staff to be amiable and efficient. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed the delicious authentic Spanish cuisine of Las Ramblas and the outside seating overlooking the River Walk to be equally enjoyable. We appreciate your recommendation to other travelers considering hotels in San Antonio for business or pleasure. We think that we offer the best of both worlds! We hope to see you back again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Hotel Contessa is our one & only gem that we have the pleasure of staying over night at in San Antonio! It's absolutely beautiful & unique. Upon arrival you are a cherished guest, starting with the friendly & helpful valet, the Bell Hops are very nice & helpful as well offering to fill up your ice bucket after handling your luggage for you, then checking in at the lobby (which is adorned with beautiful art pieces glass work, paintings, & sculptures) fresh apples waiting are a nice touch for the hungry traveler. The all suite hotel is amazing. My favorite part is the rooftop pool & hot tub. There is a spa that I haven't experienced, but I'm certain is world class. Hotel Contessa is luxury at best!

• Stayed October 2013
GM_Contessa, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear hthurman,
We are very pleased to hear that Hotel Contessa is your "one & only gem" in San Antonio! It's also very nice to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful in addition to the hotel being absolutely beautiful & unique. Guests seem to always appreciate our all suite design any many would agree with you in that their favorite part is the rooftop pool & hot tub. Thank you for taking time to share your praise with us and the traveling community of TripAdvisor. We hope to see you back soon!
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This property impressed us from the beginning when Eddie G. and Mando L.greeted us at the door with smiles. They continued to help us through our stay with humor and suggestions for transportation and directions for walking the Riverwalk. Fatima checked us in and was very patient and understanding with our requests. Ismael appeared often to tell us stories and answer questions. Ross Ovalle was proficient in his duties too. Martha, in housekeeping, was very helpful too. Every employee we met was pleasant and efficient and acted like we were very special. Darren Nichols, Director of Food and Beverage was friendly, professional, and humorous...........so,we hope to return to Hotel Contessa and hope these employees still are here!

Room Tip: A Riverwalk facing room is the best!
Green Features: Thank you for trying to help our planet and the practices are appreciated by us.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
GM_Contessa, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear ChaCah,
We are so happy to know that our team at Hotel Contessa impressed you from the beginning through to the end. Given the extensive list of individuals you have named in your review, it seems to me that virtually each and every team member that you came into contact with made a favorable and memorable impression upon you. That is great to hear! Pleasant, efficient, friendly, professional and humorous are all qualities that you noted of our team and all are qualities that contribute to the very unique and personalized service that our team has become known for. These team members and many others have created a culture of service that is uniquely Contessa and we are proud to have them! We are glad to hear that you'll be back!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having traveled for over 20 years on business. Selecting my hotel has been narrowed down to which brand would provide a free buffet, if I only upgrade to the next level.
Fortunately for me, someone else made my reservation and had the insight to put me at Hotel Contessa. From the friendly welcome by the doorman to the caring manner of the front desk staff, I knew this overnight stay would be different. Once unpacked I ventured downstairs to The Cork Bar and found a laid back environment with beautiful surroundings. With the Las Ramblas restaurant only a few feet away, the aromas of Spanish fare reminded me lunch occurred hours ago. But sitting alone at a table is not an ideal way to spend dinner. I soon learned the staff were happy to accommodate me with the dinner menu at the Cork Bar. Regardless of where you decide to dine, be certain to save one meal to embrace the Paella. This is truly one of the best I've tasted anywhere. Finally I think we all experience at least one person in our travels that simply stand out for providing excellent customer service. On this trip, Katie, the Front Desk Manager went above and beyond to help resolve an issue encountered during my stay. For that I'm very grateful and for that I'll make a point to make my next visit to San Antonio, whether for business or pleasure, another stay at Hotel Contessa.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tim T,
Thank you for the very nice review on our hotel. We appreciate you taking time to provide such a thorough and complimentary overview. I am very glad that you had the opportunity to experience Cork Bar and Las Ramblas. So many of our individual business travelers, like you, find themselves feeling very welcome, at home and comfortable whether dining in the restaurant or at the Cork Bar and all enjoy the warm friendly service from our Las Ramblas team. I am also glad that you so enjoyed the Paella....it is incredible and the most popular dish on the menu. Your recognition and praise of Kate for providing you with excellent customer service and going above and beyond to help resolve an issue encountered during your stay is greatly appreciated. She is a shining star for us and takes a great deal of satisfaction in providing our guests with exception personalized service. You highest compliment though, is the fact that you'll a point to make it a point to stay with us on your next visit to San Antonio, whether for business or pleasure. We hope that you will have a chance to do so soon!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Let me begin by saying, I have always loved the Hotel Contessa. It is a lovely property, with large suites, a fabulous restaurant, and a well-appointed rooftop pool.

Unfortunately, while staying there with a group of co-workers, we experienced several housekeeping issues. The worst was a visible blood stain on the bed linens. Gross! Our coffee pot and hairdryer did not work. The coffeepot was quickly replaced, and one of the ladies had brought a hairdryer, so we didn't worry about it.

Even after tipping nicely (the first night), the room was not made up well on either night. Things that I take for granted were not done. Obviously dirty towels were not taken, the ironing board was left out, and one of the beds was not made. I am a big believer in tipping, and this is the first time that I have ever chosen to just not leave a tip for housekeeping, because it was that bad.

So, the service in the room was awful, but we all loved Francisco, the bellhop/valet. He was helpful, trustworthy, and friendly. We greeted him every evening when we got in from the convention center. He was there to handle things when we checked in, and he was there to handle things when we checked out. Very nice.

If the housekeeping issues are handled, this will stay a lovely river walk hotel. Otherwise, it will go downhill.

Room Tip: The low room numbers (01s) have a window in the bedroom, and a window in the living room. It is dif...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GM_Contessa, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you taking time to complete this review and for providing us with your impressions of our hotel. All guest feedback is of great value and provides us with the ability to acknowledge outstanding performances and our strong points, as well as to more quickly identify areas needing attention and improvement. Clearly, it seems that you had a less than perfect stay with us due to inconsistencies with our housekeeping services. For this we are terribly sorry.

Given that you were so very disappointed; I would like to invite you to take a moment to contact me at your convenience so that I may discuss your experience and the shortcomings of the services provided in greater detail.

I thank you for choosing Hotel Contessa and for providing us with your observations. As disappointing as it is to hear that we did not perform to our standards and your expectations, I am very grateful that you have shared this with us. I also appreciate you taking note of Francisco and his genuinely friendly service. He is a star! I look forward to speaking with you and learning more about your experience at our hotel.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a beautiful property - Great bar, great restaurant and nice comfy rooms. The location just can't be beat for the riverwalk. Close to bars and restaurants and right around the corner from LaVillita. Also, the staff was very kind and caring. Highly recommend! Staff is courteous and professional. You feel like family. They really care and do whatever they can to help you have a positive, memorable SanAntonio experience. My wife said the spa/massage was one of the best she has ever had.

Room Tip: Just ask..they will work with you.
Dear Terry P,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your very positive experience with us and the readers of TripAdvisor. It is always nice to hear that guests find our hotel to be beautiful, comfortable and that they have had a great time in the Cork Bar and Las Ramblas. But, the best part of your review is to hear that you found our staff to be courteous, professional and that they made you feel like family. Yes, they really care and they will do whatever they can to assure our guests a positive, memorable and uniquely SanAntonio experience. We cannot thank you enough for the "High Recommendation" and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Les Utley

Been to Hotel Contessa? Share your experiences!