“What a pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Relaxing Bed
Ranked #4 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“What a pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My 84 year old mother and I had a week together in San Antonio. I had hoped to make a reservation at one of the historic hotels, but they were all booked. Hotel Contessa had good reviews and an appealing location on the Riverwalk. While the building is more contemporary and large, there was still a sense of warmth and hospitality, in addition to an INCREDIBLE location. There was also an exceptionally personal and accommodating staff and very good food. It is a stunning location on the quiet part of Riverwalk, but moments from anywhere on foot. At the hotel restaurant, Las Ramblas, Maria was our server each morning at breakfast and was a great start to our day. The concierge desk and staff at the lobby included Marivel, Mando, Eddie and JR, each of whom we truly hated to say goodbye to. They helped arranged our rental car, give us directions and ALWAYS did so with a warm smile. While Hotel Contessa hadn't started out as my first choice accommodation this trip, it certainly will be our next one.

Room Tip: Because of my mom's age, we always request a room with grab bars. As a result our bathroom was...
Green Features: Like most hotels, the Contessa did everything they could to encourage eco-friendliness among their guest. I would suggest discrete recycle bins in the lobby and in the rooms. I put our plastic bottles next to the trash can in our rooms and hoped for the best.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
San Clemente, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

An excellent hotel, surrounded by the lovely garden setting on San Antonio's Riverwalk. The rooms, public areas and the setting are as good as you can dream of while visiting this charming location. The consierge, however, was not helpful, in fact, gave us wrong information & directions twice.

The location is good to begin exploring the scenic beauty and restaurants along Riverwalk. We opted to get 24 hr tickets for the River Taxi which has a stop right at the hotel. This allowed us to enjoy exploring the entire Riverwalk area instead of just the short riverboat tour. It also gave us a ride back to the after a lovely dinner and a busy day.

We're going back and taking friends.

Room Tip: Get a lower floor room in order to enjoy the river and garden view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

A friend and I had a great time staying at the Hotel Contessa. We were here for a conference and found many positive aspects. We loved our spacious suite although we didn't have too exciting a view! But the hotel was full so hard to get that really great river view! It was nice having a living room and our bedroom was big enough though the closet was a bit small. All in all it was very nice.
We loved the staff-always gracious and helpful, and even with a sense of humour. The second night we were there my roommate had to go to the next floor to find ice and then the following night she couldn't find any there either. She phoned twice to ask for ice (there was a problem with the ice breaker and the hotel guests were apparently using a lot of ice). We got our ice and then a few minutes later two of the front desk staff arrived with a huge bucket of ice and then later we received a lovely complimentary bottle of wine.
We loved the location-it was a nice walk to the convention centre and close to La Villeta, the charming little historic shopping and dining area. The hotel's restaurant was very good as well. I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hobbs, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is, by far the best hotel in San Antonio. The staff is excellent, and keep this hotel in perfect condition. The suites are very comfortable and well laid out. This hotel is absolutely beautiful from the minute you walk into the lobby, all the way up to the rooftop pool, til you exit to the Riverwalk. The location of Hotel Contessa is perfect, right on the Riverwalk, and within walking distance to everything downtown San Antonio has to offer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here to attend a conference and enjoyed the excellent facilities and service. The suites have a spacious sitting room, large bath and smaller bedroom. The bed was very comfortable and I especially appreciated the two TVs, lots of storage space, and comfortable work areas, since my husband and I both needed to work. The location, with sitting areas and bar on the Riverwalk, was lovely. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to provide great service. I did not think the breakfast buffet was up to the same standards for the hefty price, but I only tried it once. So, eat elsewhere, but enjoy a very comfortable stay at the Contessa

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Recently returned from two overnight stays at the superb Hotel Contessa in San Antonio. This place is truly wonderful - sitting on the edge of Riverwalk, and offering luxurious all-suite accomodations. Really liked the layout of my suite, with a living room/sitting area, bath and ammenities section and bedroom. You get a lot for your money here: each room is tastefully appointed and spacious - giving you plenty of space when you're on the road. The king bed and pillows were super comfy, and although my suite was located on the outside edge of the hotel during each of my stays, I experienced none of the noise issues described by some reviewers (and it was quite busy, during Fiesta). Each of the staff members I encountered went out of their way to welcome me - there's clearly a high emphasis on customer service. My only complaint, and it's a minor one, is that there's no list of mini-bar prices available anywhere: in room or online. The next time you're in San Antonio, consider the Hotel Contessa - you can't go wrong.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at Contessa. I was glad that the quality had not diminished one bit since my last stay. A suite overlooking the Riverwalk for about $240.00 per night was what I consider a great rate. Rooms were very clean and the staff was friendly, polite and very helpful. I look foward to coming back to the Contessa again.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Hotel Contessa? Share your experiences!