“Family weekend away from Houston.” 4 of 5 stars

Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 347 hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Perth,Western Australia
“Family weekend away from Houston.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Pretty nice hotel. Awesome location, you just walk out onto the River Walk at San Antonio. So many restaurants/cafes nearby. Very friendly & helpful staff. Rooms clean,comfortable & well maintained. Would stay there again. Only gripe we had was that the buffet breakfast was quite ordinary, although the bacon was great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

1,512 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was my first trip to San Antonio and I feel so lucky to have found the Hotel Contessa! I can be a "picky" guest, and have "lived" in some hotel rooms for weeks at a time. Most important to me are a luxurious bed and a well thought out bathroom. Well, I give the hotel five stars for both. LOVED the bed, beautiful linens and a shower with water pressure to die for! Plus a shelf of big fluffy towels! Heaven! All rooms are suites - just an added bonus to me. The closet had enough hangers, plus some nice padded hangers for blouses. The coffee makers are well thought out - great coffee, easy to use. Oh back to the bathroom, a GOOD hairdryer thoughtfully tucked away in it's own little bag very cleverly "hooked" under the counter. PLUS a magnifying mirror and hooks perfectly placed by the tub for my hanging toiletries. I think whoever designed the space is someone who has stayed in a LOT of hotel rooms. Two tv's! View of the riverwalk! A bank of FAST elevators. Humm, I loved my room! I am a runner, and LOVED just popping out to the riverwalk for some incredible runs! We happened upon a local parade with a cattle drive right through town - two blocks from our room! We enjoyed the Cork room and the YUMMY sliders from the restaurant. All the employees seemed to sincerely enjoy what they do with a warm sense of hospitality. No "canned" my pleasure - but warm smiles and great service. We did not make it up to the pool on the top floor - but look forward to coming back for another visit with more to explore!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Hotel Contessa is a lovely gem of a hotel in the heart of San Antonio. We were warmly greeted by valets, doorman, bellman, etc. The Front Desk folks were friendly and knowledgable, and happy to help with our questions and requests. The rooms are very spacious (all suites) and comfortably appointed. Comfy,comfy bed, nice amenities, and LOVE that I was able to regulate the room temp to my comfort, and not some preset hotel comfort level! Good quality sheets and towels were aplenty. Great find, and good value.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
San Antonio, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed at the Contessa Jan. 17 through the 20 and it was lovely. The room was huge with a nice layout. There was a door to close off the bed"room." It was very clean and well maintained.
We stayed on the top floor and at the north end. There were some noise issues. We could hear garbage trucks in the morning and the ice machine was very loud.
The roof top pool was heated and the hot tub was great. We used them every morning.
The location was very convienient

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

There are some things we've come to appreciate in our first year of being parents. Not least on the list is a comfortable hotel suite - that's right, suite. With experience comes the realization that it's not much fun lying on the bed in the dark at 8 pm, killing time on our phones and laptop, trying to be absolutely quiet while our restless baby tries to sleep in the pack and play a mere 6 feet away. It's now a requirement that our room have a separate living area so that we can tuck the baby into bed, close the door and enjoy some adult time. So we were absolutely pleased that Hotel Contessa offers just that - a spacious bedroom, a large bathroom, and a separate living area with chair, couch and tv. The hotel also has a well-equiped gym and a lovely rooftop pool and hot tub. We also enjoyed the comfortable lounge/bar area on the main floor, and the complimentary morning coffee. Location is fantastic as well - directly on the riverwalk. I would highly recommend the Hotel Contessa, and hope to be back again soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Riverwalk
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel and good value for your money, the rooms have a living area and bedroom, although not a very large bedroom. Our River View room was nice except the traffic noises and the loud bus stop at the street level. The service from the concierge was great. Also I would recommend the Woodhouse Spa at this facility. Overall, very nice stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Pflugerville, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

When my daughter and I first walked into the Hotel Contessa we were very impressed. The staff was friendly. The decor was very fancy and our room looked very inviting. The pool was great. Night swimming was fun because you could see the city around you.
The biggest downfall was when I tried to get some sleep. Even though I was way up in floor levels I could here everything going on on the street below. The night club, the people walking and of course the cars stopping and going. I even tried to go into the adjacent room to pull out the sleeper sofa to see if it would be any quieter. Then I found I could here everything going on in the lobby downstairs. So, even though this hotel has the appearance of being a very nice comfortable stay, the only way you would get any sleep here is if you were dead to the world.
They really need to work on insulating the place to make it quieter for their guests.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Contessa? Share your experiences!