“good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Sea World

You added Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Sea World to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Sea World
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2861 Cinema Ridge, San Antonio, TX 78238 (Northwest Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #136 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Omaha, Nebraska
“good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Nice hotel at good location, great room service. Hotel was neat and clean and located at attractive locations. Enjoyed lot with friends. I would like to stay in the same hotel in my next san Antonio trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sandra G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Sea World, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for being a valued guest at the Holiday Inn Express. We are so elated to know that you enjoyed yourself at our hotel. You mentioned that our hotel staff was nice. We appreciate your generous feedback. You also mentioned that our location was great and that you accomlished your goal while here. Our staff is very glad to hear that.you truly enjoyed your stay here. They\ will be informed of your kind words and we thank you once again for staying at our hotel.

Jahi Osaze
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Norman, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We have been staying at HI Express since our DD love the indoor heated pool and we like the nice breakfast spread(instead of just continental BF). Convenient location with many AFB guests and families visiting the nearby Sea world and theme parks.

We stayed here for 3 days 2 nights during our visit to Sea World new year eve event

Check in experience was short and sharp. We arrived after 9pm on a Sunday and considered us lucky to get a top(4th) floor room as recommended by community reviews. We specifically requested not to be given a room right next to the elevator and was assured by the Manager that RM 413 is just fine...Upon exiting the lift we realized that our room is the one closest to the lift entrance (I can sensed DW's stress level just spiked on top of trying to get the little one to bed ASAP).

Checking everything in the room(Family Suite with 2 Queen beds) is to our expectation have been on SOP:
-: AC's already running cool even though a mid 30s cold front brewing outside
-: Compressor-less Avanti Fridge is set to 5of6 but not even cool to the touch! Need immediate attention but Night manager said their room are sold out and that he will mention it to the incoming manager during shift change. Call back from new night shift person basically mentioned that they cannot do anything to the fridge and will let the morning crew address our concern. We ended up using 2 bags of ice cube to help cool down the contents in the fridge. I noticed that the ice machine and venting on the third floor are generating much noise and humming so I'm sure those poor guests staying in the nearby room may or may not appreciate it!
-: Lighting in the room makes the sheets look yellow upon inspecting but turns out okay
-: Central room thermostat not working. Oh no! This indicate that the husband have to get out of bed to adjust the temps by the window unit(temp set using preset buttons) several times till its just right for the sleeping baby
-: Asking the check-in clerk for luggage trolley indicated that if its not by the entrance I'll have to search the floor. Not much help there so chalk it up to shift changing mentality and there go another star
-: Blinking light on the telephone by the night stand serve as a decent night light but it can be annoying after lights out. Had to clear voice messages from a few days ago to stop the blinker
-: Lastly the water stained ceiling indicate a good chance of mold but nothing can be done because the hotel is sold out for the next few days according to the staff

Was woken up the next morning by a wrong number transfer into our room. That explained why the phone had unclaimed voice messages. Alerting the front desk about the mishap and the all our observations and requests yielded no resolution because of the sold-out status so no room change and "no guarantee-no promise" attitude due to the holiday with staff shortages.

Typical HI Express breakfast spread that we have come to enjoy. The 2 ladies working the kitchen are on the ball as I witness them replenishing the eggs at 8:30am. Just don't expect a full spread when you arrive 15min before breakfast cutoff. We witnessed some overcrowding as some guests had to use the lobby and some use the floor.

Sea world opens their door at noon during our visit so we get to enjoy the indoor pool. Plenty o f towels and seats to start with but as more family get in and out you will have to get front desk or someone in housekeeping to replenish them. Water is not as warm to our liking, and maybe its the 37 degree F weather outside we observe many family crowding in the hot tub. Please excuse the chlorine smell when you are riding the elevator during this time and beware of wet floor in the lobby restroom across from the pool.

The housekeeping team that service our room during our stay is outstanding.

FYI: The sound insulation in the walls are not up to par as you can hear the neighbor's TV but we have also lower our expectation unless its affecting our 3yr old sleeping.

The WIFI in the room are almost non-existence for my iPad and iphone...Shoddy at best. Problematic getting the initial password prompting screen to come through but maybe it's Apple's WIFI issue to begin with.

We love reviewing via Trip Advisor site as we know some Managers of the respective establishment will chime in with a "I'm sorry you blah blah blah" type reply but we have yet receive any complimentary gesture. Though the review seems to be negative but we remain to be HI Express family or until another hotel around the block offer indoor heated pool with free full breakfast service.

Suggestion: The internet era has brought us free WIFI in the room or hotel common areas. As connected as we are please provide us with the ability to allow your customer to communicate with you(before, during, after) via a request/service system so every details are itemized for quality assurance. A push button from the pool area indicate service/attention required or even your dedicated HI Express Apps provide in house request-service action item. Cheers

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the 3rd floor near the elevator like the plague unless you like the Ice and venting m...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sandra G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Sea World, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express your words of gratitude were very cordial. We thank you for being able to express. Our staff will be told of your nice and wonderful stay at our hotel as well as all the nice comments that you left. We also appreciate your professional tips that you shared with us. When you are ever in our area we would love for you to stay with us again!

Jahi Osaze
Front Desk Manager
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We fairly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Breakfast is good in my opinion. We love the indoor pool even the water is a bit colder than what I would like. I just think the front desk is not very professional. When we arrive, we ask if we can have a room away from the elevator and the front desk said the room is not closed to the elevator. Wrong!!! Off the elevator, the first room is our room. Very disappointed!!! Obviously the front desk is not familiar with hotel room and told us the wrong thing!!! We booked a suite because we have a little girl that loves milk. We need a refrigerator to keep our milk. When I first check the fridge, it does not feel cold. We reported it and the front desk said they are fully booked and not able to get us another room. When I talked to front desk, the guy seems in a hurry and just want to hang up instead of listening to my concern. Therefore, I try to adjust the fridge to the lowest setting and with a bag of ice, we just do it this way to keep our milk cold. No follow-up from the front desk at all even we stayed here for three nights!!! I paid extra for a suite, but not up to standard at all. The room itself has a water damage on ceiling. My husband very concerns about mold. That's why we give 3 stars.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
canderson1, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Sea World, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Sea World for your current stay. I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule and letting us know about your recent visit with us. I would also like to apologize as my team and I strive to ensure that all of our guests are completely satisfied and it appears we failed to provide you the exceptional customer service that you deserved.
I would like to discuss this further with you as well. Please feel free to contact me at the email or phone number listed below.
210-520-4200
canderson@baywoodhotels.com
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

The hotel was great, so was the location. Sea World was right next door and there were plenty of places to shop and eat. The free breakfast was very good and it had everything that you would want to eat. Since this is the first time we visited Texas, we weren't very familiar with the area.The hotel staff was very kind and helpful and showed us good places to go.

Room Tip: The suites on the corners have lots of big windows to see outside.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express for your current stay. We truly appreciate your business. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I will be forwarding your comments onto my staff and we strive to ensure that all of our guests leave 100% completely satisfied.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope you continue to use Holiday Inn Express in your future travels.
San Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

This hotel is perfectly reputable, and typical of the chain. It is clean and nicely appointed. But what has moved me to write a review this morning is the breakfast service. I have stayed in lots of these hotels over many years and without question this is the cleanest and most thoroughly appointed breakfast service I have experienced. The two ladies who have attended it, Rachel and Claudia, work constantly, and with great pride, to maintain an excellent standard. I am writing this review in hopes that they will receive an incentive for their efforts.

• Stayed November 2013
canderson1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Sea World, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule and informing us of your stay. We truly appreciate your business and happy to hear that your enjoyed your stay. I will be relaying your comments onto my staff as we strive to ensure that all of our guests are completely satisfied while staying with us.
Thank you again.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We've stayed here twice. It is super convenient to get around San Antonio. Wonderful hotel for families. The breakfast buffet is amazing in my opinion. Pancakes,eggs,sausage,cereal,juice, yogurt... Just about anything you (or your finicky eating toddler) could want. Rooms are very clean. I actually paid a little extra this last time (instead of doing a "secret" hotel in this area on a travel site) just to be SURE we stayed here.

Funniest moment there...
Our daughter loves the life size shamu on the elevator doors. She was so excited coming or going to see it.

Nicest part.. They let us check in early when we arrived ahead of schedule with kids in tow after an 8 hour car ride!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Sea World. We appreciate your feedback as we strive to ensure all of our guests leave completely satisfied. I am happy to hear that you were able to find some breakfast items for your children and that your daughter loves our shamu poster. Please let me know when you will be coming back and I will try my best to see if we can have SHamu come and visit the hotel during your next stay.
Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you in your future travels.
Lompoc, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I had been staying at another hotel nearby and had a horrifying experience (involving dirty linens left in my room, food on the carpet and hair in the sink) so at 11 PM I set out to get a new hotel. The gentleman James behind the counter at the Holiday inn express answered my phone call about available rooms, and while at the time I was locked out of my room at the old hotel and all of my personal belongings were locked inside, he booked the room with out a credit card. Upon arrival, check in was quick and easy, James helped me again and he was great. I vented to him about my experience, at the time I was totally lit up. He was very sweet and listened to me patiently but I'm sure I sounded crazy!

The room was great. Nice big comfy bed, clean fridge and microwave, the bathroom was stellar, I couldn't be more pleased!

Standard continental breakfast in the morning, it was a decent hot meal. The breakfast bar attendant was so sweet and talked to me at breakfast for sometime.

I was in San Antonio to see my sister graduate BMT for the Air Force, when I brought her back to the hotel the whole staff welcomed her, congratulated her and thanked her for her service. Very very kind of them. Also received an excellent recommendation for lunch from they day time desk girl! She knows her stuff.

Overall I would definitely recommend this place, and I would definitely stay here again. It was a pleasure.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Sea World. I truly appreciate you taking the time out and informing us of your stay. As my staff and I strive to ensure all of our guests are completely satisfied I will be relaying your comments onto them as well.
Thank you again and we hope to see you in your future travels.
Carol Anderson, GM

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Sea World? Share your experiences!