“A good central location in San Antonio” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Fall Savings, Save 20%
Ranked #62 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Elmira Ontario
“A good central location in San Antonio”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at the Crockett Hotel on November 19th, 012 and found it to be clean, but old. Since we were only going to be sleeping there, we didn't really care about the actual room. However, it was a standard Queen size bed, very comfy, the room was just large enough to move around in, and the bathroom was clean. We weren't expecting much but it was just fine. The staff were very helpful, and tried to provide for all of our needs. When we checked in we requested a room far away from the elevators, and that is what we got. The air conditioning unit in our room was very loud and I was afraid it would keep me awake. (I am a light sleeper). It did not and I slept well. We looked out over the back door of the Menger hotel and the Imax movie theatre. Not great views, but who cares? We were gone all day and only came back to our room to get some sleep. I was not happy about the expensive parking, but that is what you get in San Antonio. If I go again, I will try to find a different parking solution. We were steps away from the Alamo, which is very interesting. We spent a lot of time at the Riverwalk and loved it. The whole atmosphere is great down there. So, if you want cheap, stay at the Crockett. If you want all the amenities, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed here for the 3 nights in the middle part of my Texas holiday in October. I stayed at the Menger last year and decided to try the Crockett this time. You can't fault the location - it is across the road from the back of the Alamo - and therefore within a few minutes walking distance of the Riverwalk. As mentioned before breakfast is nothing to get excited about and more a case of fuelling for the day as opposed to a leisurely breakfast. My room was a double aspect room on the corner of the 5th floor which gave me views over the car park and interstate - ok nothing to get excited about - but had a nice view of the sun rising! Room was large and plenty of space to get messy but no fridge (available at a cost) and no room safe was a little annoying. Bathroom was fine but nothing to write home about. As with other hotels you get stung for car parking but it is just by the hotel and I dispensed with the valet parking on the first day. There is a small pool and sunbathing area between the hotel and car park - not the best location but better than nothing. Difficult to fault it really as it does the job and in most cases nobody goes to downtown San Antonio to sit in the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Pros: great location, historic building, valet parking
Cons: small room, expensive valet parking (but I think nearly every hotel in San Antonio charges for parking), was not impressed with the free breakfast (just cereal, make your own waffles, and a scramled egg/sausage mixture).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I read the very mixed reviews on this hotel and was a little concerned. However, the concerns were unjust. The hotel is old but it is very clean and even with five bus tours of teenagers, it was still peaceful. The rooms are small but asking for a larger, newer room seemed no problem for the desk staff. I had a room overlooking the Alamo. The view was charming. The breakfast was good and sufficient to keep me full until lunch. The staff was easy to work with and spoke english. This is not one of the fancy hotels on the riverwalk, but you are not paying those prices either. I would gladly return to the Crockett Hotel, anytime.

Room Tip: The second floor had noise from the tour buses unloading. If you are sensative to desiel and noise...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
kerrville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The room & bath were nice , clean and oversize. The bar has great Happy Hour prices. The parking is the least expensive downtown. The room was very quiet!! We used the Groupon and received an excellant value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I bought a Groupon to stay at Crockett Hotel because it was a good deal ($77) & I love staying at historic hotels in San Antonio. This one, however, is one I probably won't stay at again.

The hotel has such charm & is right behind the Alamo. The history of the hotel isn't as interesting as some of the other hotels in the area, but the land the hotel is on was part of the battlefield at the Alamo. Okay, okay, I'll get to my low review...

Again, pulling into the hotel, you see the charm & have high expectations. The lobby area is nice & has been restored to it's original condition. So, we'll start there... The front desk staff is not friendly. I called & made my reservation on the phone earlier in the day. The man on the phone gave me a confirmation number verbally & sent me an email with all the information as well. When I walked up to check in, Abigail (the front desk employee on duty) couldn't seem to find my reservation. No biggie. I pulled up my email with the confirmation number, gave that to her & she still couldn't seem to find it. The next thing she asked me, totally set me off though. "When, what time today, did you make your reservation because sometimes it takes a while for it to show up in the system?" Why does that matter?! I had a confirmation number!!!!! She went & talked to her supervisor & can you believe it, they found me in the system. UGH!

Then she asked if I wanted to put the parking on my Visa. The parking is $18.95 a day & we were going to be at the hotel for about 12 hours. She, & her supervisor who she went to talk to again, couldn't think of anywhere I could park & told me there was no street parking. I decided not to pay for it & see what I could find. I found PLENTY of street parking & several lots that only charged $5, all of which were within eye-shot of the hotel.

The elevators are very small. I liked the "old" feel of them. When 4 people get in them they feel a little claustrophobic.

The rooms are nice & the beds are comfortable. Very simple. The bathroom is the same as most hotel bathrooms. The showerhead was a problem though. I turned on the water so it could get hot & when I went back in the bathroom, there was water all over the floor. I tried to adjust the showerhead so it wouldn't shoot to the very back of the shower & out onto the floor, but it doesn't move. I did appreciate the fact that there is a recycle can in every room in the hotel.

With our reservation we got a free breakfast. Oh, how I wish I had slept later & either gone without breakfast or gone elsewhere. In a hotel like this, you would think the breakfast would have some selection & be good. It's neither. The only things fresh were the waffles you could make yourself & the bananas. The scrambled eggs looked freeze-dried. It was set up to look like you should be able to make breakfast tacos, but there were no tortillas. Luckily, I don't like scrambled eggs so it wasn't an issue for me. The peaches & pineapple were obviously poured right out of a can & into bowls. There were boiled eggs & they were actually good. My son was able to eat the boxed cereal, but that was all he would even think about eating. He made a waffle, but the syrup was ice cold...YUK! It would have been nice if the juice & milk had been ice cold instead of room temperature...& the syrup room temperature instead of ice cold. The only bagels were cinnamon raisin or something & who the heck wants that?! The employee working the breakfast area was like every other employee there...not friendly & didn't seem to want to be there.

At check out they tried, again, to charge me for parking. Another guest had issues with the parking situation. (There were several customers when I was walking through the lobby in the morning & while we were checking out that were having one issue or another & they seemed very frustrated by the lack of caring from the staff.) The front desk staff was, again, not very friendly. They would ask "friendly" questions, but wouldn't make eye-contact & sounded like they were asking questions they had to, not that they really cared about what your thoughts really were.

The location is great, but there are so many other hotels around the Crockett that are SO much better & worth the money. At this point, I don't think the $77 I paid was actually worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for being our recent guest and for taking the time after your visit to give us some feedback. We appreciate what our guests tell us, and share it with our staff constantly.

We wish to apologize for the negative impression of the hotel that you left with after your stay.
We will review your experiences with the team so that we can learn from this and improve our service levels for future visitors. We will impress on all of our team that the minimum standard is to be pleasant and friendly when interacting with all of our guests.

We provide parking for $18.50+tax daily, which allows for unlimited in/out. We understand other options exist and we should have been able to explain those options to you. Since you were only parking for 12 hours and would not need to come and go, we should understand that these options were better suited to your needs than using our facility.

We have used many of our guests comments to enhance our complimentary breakfast. We provide scrambled eggs that are made fresh each morning. They are not frozen or powdered eggs. We have added apples, oranges, bananas and cut pineapple and peaches from suggestions from our customers. We offer fruit yogurt, cottage cheese, a variety of individual cereals, toast, pastries and bagels, in addition to the waffles that you mentioned. We will investigate the options for serving warm syrup for the waffles.

The milk and three fruit juices that we provide are kept on ice at the breakfast buffet. We will check more frequently that they are at the appropriate serving temperatures.

Thank you again for writing a review for us. We will work hard to earn your trust and confidence for a future visit to San Antonio.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel located next to the Alamo and only 2 blocks from the river walk. The rooms are a little on the small side but has a huge bathroom. The TV is an old analog 19 inch in need of replacement. Shouldn't be a problem because you don't come here to watch tv. The staff and house keeping are terrific. The lobby and bar are very beautiful and architecture is amazing.They have a nice breakfast but needs meat! We come here every year and will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for providing some kind words and feedback following your recent visit.

We appreciate your willingness to return again and again to the Crockett hotel, in the hear of the city.

We have ordered new LG HD televisions and will have them in all our rooms before the end of 2012. This is great news for us and our guests. We have been anxiously awaiting being able to add them to our hotel amenities for some time.

By the time you return to the Crockett hotel, we may have some other nice new upgrades for your to experience. We look forward to your next visit.

Been to Crockett Hotel? Share your experiences!