“A Historic Gem at a great price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Crockett Birthday Special
Ranked #53 of 352 hotels in San Antonio
Colorado
“A Historic Gem at a great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I read the very mixed reviews on this hotel and was a little concerned. However, the concerns were unjust. The hotel is old but it is very clean and even with five bus tours of teenagers, it was still peaceful. The rooms are small but asking for a larger, newer room seemed no problem for the desk staff. I had a room overlooking the Alamo. The view was charming. The breakfast was good and sufficient to keep me full until lunch. The staff was easy to work with and spoke english. This is not one of the fancy hotels on the riverwalk, but you are not paying those prices either. I would gladly return to the Crockett Hotel, anytime.

Room Tip: The second floor had noise from the tour buses unloading. If you are sensative to desiel and noise...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

636 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
kerrville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The room & bath were nice , clean and oversize. The bar has great Happy Hour prices. The parking is the least expensive downtown. The room was very quiet!! We used the Groupon and received an excellant value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I bought a Groupon to stay at Crockett Hotel because it was a good deal ($77) & I love staying at historic hotels in San Antonio. This one, however, is one I probably won't stay at again.

The hotel has such charm & is right behind the Alamo. The history of the hotel isn't as interesting as some of the other hotels in the area, but the land the hotel is on was part of the battlefield at the Alamo. Okay, okay, I'll get to my low review...

Again, pulling into the hotel, you see the charm & have high expectations. The lobby area is nice & has been restored to it's original condition. So, we'll start there... The front desk staff is not friendly. I called & made my reservation on the phone earlier in the day. The man on the phone gave me a confirmation number verbally & sent me an email with all the information as well. When I walked up to check in, Abigail (the front desk employee on duty) couldn't seem to find my reservation. No biggie. I pulled up my email with the confirmation number, gave that to her & she still couldn't seem to find it. The next thing she asked me, totally set me off though. "When, what time today, did you make your reservation because sometimes it takes a while for it to show up in the system?" Why does that matter?! I had a confirmation number!!!!! She went & talked to her supervisor & can you believe it, they found me in the system. UGH!

Then she asked if I wanted to put the parking on my Visa. The parking is $18.95 a day & we were going to be at the hotel for about 12 hours. She, & her supervisor who she went to talk to again, couldn't think of anywhere I could park & told me there was no street parking. I decided not to pay for it & see what I could find. I found PLENTY of street parking & several lots that only charged $5, all of which were within eye-shot of the hotel.

The elevators are very small. I liked the "old" feel of them. When 4 people get in them they feel a little claustrophobic.

The rooms are nice & the beds are comfortable. Very simple. The bathroom is the same as most hotel bathrooms. The showerhead was a problem though. I turned on the water so it could get hot & when I went back in the bathroom, there was water all over the floor. I tried to adjust the showerhead so it wouldn't shoot to the very back of the shower & out onto the floor, but it doesn't move. I did appreciate the fact that there is a recycle can in every room in the hotel.

With our reservation we got a free breakfast. Oh, how I wish I had slept later & either gone without breakfast or gone elsewhere. In a hotel like this, you would think the breakfast would have some selection & be good. It's neither. The only things fresh were the waffles you could make yourself & the bananas. The scrambled eggs looked freeze-dried. It was set up to look like you should be able to make breakfast tacos, but there were no tortillas. Luckily, I don't like scrambled eggs so it wasn't an issue for me. The peaches & pineapple were obviously poured right out of a can & into bowls. There were boiled eggs & they were actually good. My son was able to eat the boxed cereal, but that was all he would even think about eating. He made a waffle, but the syrup was ice cold...YUK! It would have been nice if the juice & milk had been ice cold instead of room temperature...& the syrup room temperature instead of ice cold. The only bagels were cinnamon raisin or something & who the heck wants that?! The employee working the breakfast area was like every other employee there...not friendly & didn't seem to want to be there.

At check out they tried, again, to charge me for parking. Another guest had issues with the parking situation. (There were several customers when I was walking through the lobby in the morning & while we were checking out that were having one issue or another & they seemed very frustrated by the lack of caring from the staff.) The front desk staff was, again, not very friendly. They would ask "friendly" questions, but wouldn't make eye-contact & sounded like they were asking questions they had to, not that they really cared about what your thoughts really were.

The location is great, but there are so many other hotels around the Crockett that are SO much better & worth the money. At this point, I don't think the $77 I paid was actually worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for being our recent guest and for taking the time after your visit to give us some feedback. We appreciate what our guests tell us, and share it with our staff constantly.

We wish to apologize for the negative impression of the hotel that you left with after your stay.
We will review your experiences with the team so that we can learn from this and improve our service levels for future visitors. We will impress on all of our team that the minimum standard is to be pleasant and friendly when interacting with all of our guests.

We provide parking for $18.50+tax daily, which allows for unlimited in/out. We understand other options exist and we should have been able to explain those options to you. Since you were only parking for 12 hours and would not need to come and go, we should understand that these options were better suited to your needs than using our facility.

We have used many of our guests comments to enhance our complimentary breakfast. We provide scrambled eggs that are made fresh each morning. They are not frozen or powdered eggs. We have added apples, oranges, bananas and cut pineapple and peaches from suggestions from our customers. We offer fruit yogurt, cottage cheese, a variety of individual cereals, toast, pastries and bagels, in addition to the waffles that you mentioned. We will investigate the options for serving warm syrup for the waffles.

The milk and three fruit juices that we provide are kept on ice at the breakfast buffet. We will check more frequently that they are at the appropriate serving temperatures.

Thank you again for writing a review for us. We will work hard to earn your trust and confidence for a future visit to San Antonio.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel located next to the Alamo and only 2 blocks from the river walk. The rooms are a little on the small side but has a huge bathroom. The TV is an old analog 19 inch in need of replacement. Shouldn't be a problem because you don't come here to watch tv. The staff and house keeping are terrific. The lobby and bar are very beautiful and architecture is amazing.They have a nice breakfast but needs meat! We come here every year and will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for providing some kind words and feedback following your recent visit.

We appreciate your willingness to return again and again to the Crockett hotel, in the hear of the city.

We have ordered new LG HD televisions and will have them in all our rooms before the end of 2012. This is great news for us and our guests. We have been anxiously awaiting being able to add them to our hotel amenities for some time.

By the time you return to the Crockett hotel, we may have some other nice new upgrades for your to experience. We look forward to your next visit.
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I read the reviews and picked the Crockett over the Menger even though a friend said to stay at the Menger.
Upon entering the front desk staff was not friendly but not rude. They didn't tell me anything about the place i.e. free breakfast... etc.. Upon entering it is just an old building with no character. I love history and old buildings but this place was just boring.
The bar looks like an after thought. It also is not appealing to the eye. We had been told the Menger bar had much history and was beautiful with rich old wood. So we spent our cocktail time next door instead of at the Crockett.
The room was a typical hotel room, clean, average in size,
I had a corner view of the Alamo, a nice touch for a history buff. At 5 p.m. a loud speaker announced that it was closing. This was fine. However, Sunday morning at 7:45 a.m. that same loud speaker started announcing something. I found out later there was a benefit race going on. The announcements went on and on so I finally got up because I couldn't sleep.
The only good thing I can say about the Crockett was location to River Walk, a huge shopping and restaurant area worth checking out. Take a gondola ride when you arrive to see everything. It is 3 miles long with paths that get crowded on the weekend so the cruise around it is worth the money.
There are many hotels in the area. If I ever went back I would stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you don't want awakened by the public address system ask for a back room. If you want a view...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay at the Crockett Hotel.

We have shared your feedback with our neighbors at the Alamo to avoid any such disruptions in the future. In the past, they have not announced their openings and closing over any sound system. We are checking if they had a special event and deviated from their normal operations.

Certainly, we want guests who opted to stay with us at the Crockett to enjoy our clean, convenient and comfortable hotel and not experience other outside disruptions during their stay.

We will work to improve, retrain our staff where necessary and look to provide a great experience for all of our guests. Thanks again for staying with us.
Lake Jackson, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The location of the hotel is the what makes it a popular choice for travelers.....it is right acroos the street from the back entrance to the Alamo and is about 3 very walkable blocks to the river walk.

The rooms are very, very small. It reminded me of a cabin on a cruise ship. In that very small room was a an old style CRT television. A flat screen mounted on the wall would be an obvious space saver. The bathroom was equally tiny and hard to move around in and a general lack of cabinet space.

The room was kept up nice and was clean, but the closet was so small that that you could not even hang clothes normally. You had to hang them on a very short stub coming off the wall.....not anything I have ever had to do. The bottom line......if you are claustriphobic at all, stay elsewhere. We had a hard time keeping the central air conditioner staying on to circulate the air and the room statyed a little stuffy.

The elvators are also so small that it was difficult to fit the bell cart on them.The front desk was slow and took a long time verifying our government rate. The Menger Hotel had sold out and that is where the conference was. The front desk clerk was skeptical about whether the government rate was being used for personal vacation. She never said it quite that way, but it took about 15 minutes to get our rate apporoved and get a room key.

The breakfast was adequate. It came free with the room. Like everything else, the breakfast area was laid out in such a way that you could not help but bump into people. They had the make your own Texas waffle maker, which was nice. The hotel also provided a stack of complimentary USA Today papers, which was nice. Parking was a stiff $20.00 per day.

Without the location, I would never consider staying in this hotel again....but the location was very convenient. You may want to consider these tradeoffs before booking this hotel. As for me, I'll take the space over the convenience.

Room Tip: Ask if you can get a room that overlooks the Alamo.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for being our recent guest at the Crockett hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your stay and the Crockett Hotel.

We strive everyday to exceed our guests expectations and feel badly when we fail to do so.

As a historic structure, built in 1909, we are constrained with the physical layout of the hotel as built at that time. Certainly some of our rooms are smaller than others and a wide variety of room layouts exist at the Crockett. We renovated many features of the hotel in 2006-7 and will be adding new LG HD televisions before the end of 2012.

We will share your comments on the time it took to check in. Generally our check in procedures are quick and easy, but obviously were not in this case if it took 15 minutes to register for your stay. We will work with the desk staff to prevent delays in the future.

Many of our guests find the central location, history of the property, and the close proximity to shopping, dining, history and culture to be a prime reason for being a guest at the Crockett. We will work hard to continue to provide this along with a clean, comfortable place to stay while in San Antonio.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The best thing about his place is the location. It is in a wonderful area right in the heart of the centre, everything withing walking distance. The hotel claims to be 'historic', but had a very 'new' atmosphere and looked modern to us. The rooms were a bit small but perfectly fine, clean, with a view over to the Alamo. The cost came out a bit above booking.com had said (about $10), but was reasonable in comparions to others at $79 per night for double room. Valet parking for $20 a day. My only complaint would be the breakfast cutlery which was such flimsy plastic that I couldn't cut my toast. The least they could do is save the planet and give us real cutlery to eat with - it is not a picnic.The breakfast was basic but OK and included - wafles and syrup; eggs, toast, muffins, cereals, etc.- perfectly adequate. Compared to the prices of other hotels, this was a bargain. I had to ask for extra pillows three times but they did eventualy arrive.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a reasonabley priced hotel in the centre of everything, you cant go wrong wit...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crockett Hotel? Share your experiences!