“Tradeoffs” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Lake Jackson, Texas
“Tradeoffs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The location of the hotel is the what makes it a popular choice for travelers.....it is right acroos the street from the back entrance to the Alamo and is about 3 very walkable blocks to the river walk.

The rooms are very, very small. It reminded me of a cabin on a cruise ship. In that very small room was a an old style CRT television. A flat screen mounted on the wall would be an obvious space saver. The bathroom was equally tiny and hard to move around in and a general lack of cabinet space.

The room was kept up nice and was clean, but the closet was so small that that you could not even hang clothes normally. You had to hang them on a very short stub coming off the wall.....not anything I have ever had to do. The bottom line......if you are claustriphobic at all, stay elsewhere. We had a hard time keeping the central air conditioner staying on to circulate the air and the room statyed a little stuffy.

The elvators are also so small that it was difficult to fit the bell cart on them.The front desk was slow and took a long time verifying our government rate. The Menger Hotel had sold out and that is where the conference was. The front desk clerk was skeptical about whether the government rate was being used for personal vacation. She never said it quite that way, but it took about 15 minutes to get our rate apporoved and get a room key.

The breakfast was adequate. It came free with the room. Like everything else, the breakfast area was laid out in such a way that you could not help but bump into people. They had the make your own Texas waffle maker, which was nice. The hotel also provided a stack of complimentary USA Today papers, which was nice. Parking was a stiff $20.00 per day.

Without the location, I would never consider staying in this hotel again....but the location was very convenient. You may want to consider these tradeoffs before booking this hotel. As for me, I'll take the space over the convenience.

Room Tip: Ask if you can get a room that overlooks the Alamo.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for being our recent guest at the Crockett hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your stay and the Crockett Hotel.

We strive everyday to exceed our guests expectations and feel badly when we fail to do so.

As a historic structure, built in 1909, we are constrained with the physical layout of the hotel as built at that time. Certainly some of our rooms are smaller than others and a wide variety of room layouts exist at the Crockett. We renovated many features of the hotel in 2006-7 and will be adding new LG HD televisions before the end of 2012.

We will share your comments on the time it took to check in. Generally our check in procedures are quick and easy, but obviously were not in this case if it took 15 minutes to register for your stay. We will work with the desk staff to prevent delays in the future.

Many of our guests find the central location, history of the property, and the close proximity to shopping, dining, history and culture to be a prime reason for being a guest at the Crockett. We will work hard to continue to provide this along with a clean, comfortable place to stay while in San Antonio.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The best thing about his place is the location. It is in a wonderful area right in the heart of the centre, everything withing walking distance. The hotel claims to be 'historic', but had a very 'new' atmosphere and looked modern to us. The rooms were a bit small but perfectly fine, clean, with a view over to the Alamo. The cost came out a bit above booking.com had said (about $10), but was reasonable in comparions to others at $79 per night for double room. Valet parking for $20 a day. My only complaint would be the breakfast cutlery which was such flimsy plastic that I couldn't cut my toast. The least they could do is save the planet and give us real cutlery to eat with - it is not a picnic.The breakfast was basic but OK and included - wafles and syrup; eggs, toast, muffins, cereals, etc.- perfectly adequate. Compared to the prices of other hotels, this was a bargain. I had to ask for extra pillows three times but they did eventualy arrive.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a reasonabley priced hotel in the centre of everything, you cant go wrong wit...
la
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Overall great experience!. stayed here with my cousins and the location is great. right next to the alamo, it's quiet enough for the night , right next to the mall and everything in downtown is walking distance anyway! great value as well. Continental breakfast was surprisingly good, they had a make your own waffle station!!! Another plus is that, it's marked as a historic hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bushnell, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just got back last night from a 4 night stay at the Crockett. I was attending a conference at the convention center. It took exactly 6 minutes to walk there from the hotel, cuttng through the mall and the Marriott. Overall we were pleased with this hotel:
Great: the location.....just across the street from the Alamo and the mall...great!!, the cleanliness...the Texas shaped waffles...the ease of getting trolleys and busses when needed; iced tea and coffee provided throughout the day
Adequate: the complimentary breakfast...I would have said it was really except for the consistently terrible coffee...how hard is it to brew a good cup?? and for things running out like bagels one hour after the breakfast started and never replentishing them; fresh fruit was not replaced...when it's gone, it's gone; the eggs needed to be kept warmer; ice for iced tea was not refilled often during the day
Not so good: friendliness at checkin...a family checking in right next to me by a women who was VERY nice to them...I could hear her giving them lots of advice and a map; Shaun checked me in; I felt he did not like me because I booked thru hotels.com...no welcome, no map, no friendly advice or banter; I also felt that he assigned me not such a great room because I had booked it on line; I had a second floor TINY room...my elderly parents were meeting me there...I do not recomment the small rooms for 3 people; since we signed in 3 people and paid for 3 people, I felt he could have given us a better room; we did not need a rollaway bed, which was good, because there was not floor space enough for one. The bathroom was also very small. The tub needs to be refinished because of large black chips out of it. The maid cleaned our room quickly and early every day...but was always knocking on our door to see if we were there or we were gone...even after cleaning the room (?). She did a great job cleaning, but would forget to replenish things like soaop and shampoo.

I would probably stay here again for the location alone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ferris, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had an awesome time at this hotel. I will say that the room is small and the area is noisy. If you are looking to sleep in this is probably not the place unless you can drown out the Alamo visitors. The locations is amazing within walking distance to everything. The service was great. The room was clean. It was a great stay.

Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a friends wedding. I was not sure of the place because of some of the reviews I read but was pleased when I checked in. The room was very small for the price but the location totally made up for it. We were in walking distance of everything. I loved looking out my window into the Alamo! If the rooms were a bit bigger is probably give this hotel a perfect score.

• Stayed October 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. As recommended, we asked for an outside corner room. Our room was 522. The room was large & clean, with plenty of windows with plantation shutters. Things we liked: the hotel is unique & historical, location was great - we walked to restaurants, the alamo & the Rivercenter mall. The staff was nice and the free breakfast was adequate, with the standard choices of cereal, hot eggs, waffles, juices and fruit. Areas for improvement: the air conditioner is very loud and annoying at night. The mattress was way too firm. The tv was a 25in tube tv. The parking was $20 a night.

Overall, the hotel is fine, but you have to expect small elevators and an older style. These are not negatives if you like that sort of thing, but someone looking for a new, modern hotel will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for an outside facing room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crockett Hotel? Share your experiences!