“Enjoy a Sunday brunch at this wonderful Italian restaurant.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Milano Ristorante Italiano

Milano Ristorante Italiano
11802 Wurzbach Rd, San Antonio, TX 78230-2710 (Northwest Side)
(210) 307-4689
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Dowagiac, Michigan
“Enjoy a Sunday brunch at this wonderful Italian restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

If you are in San Antonio and are looking for a good Sunday brunch, this is the place to go. The food is a mix of Italian and classic American foods. The restaurant is lovely and staff is very friendly. You can get a made to order omelet or just choose any of the many dishes already prepared. We were surprised at the affordable price for this wonderful buffet.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
San Antonio, Texas
“Great Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I was surprised by my family who drove in from out of town to buy my birthday dinner there. I had the trout almandine (on special), which was to die for. Typically I order the scallops and love them.

The only draw back for me is the bread and butter--don't know why, but I just don't like their bread (lacks flavor) and butter (melted with just OK garlic taste) that is served with the meal.

Visited December 2011
San Antonio, TX
“Wonderful: wish I had found this place sooner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I've lived in San Antonio for almost 20 years and somehow never found this place until some friends invited us to join them there this evening. It was delightful!

The restaurant is located in a strip mall, but as far as strip malls go, this one has more charm than most. There are some beautiful old live oaks shading the restaurant which includes an outdoor patio. The decor inside is muted tones with white tablecloths and candles. A unique touch was little stands (like a short hat rack) beside the tables in the bar for hanging your purse on, so you don't have to put it on the floor. Not sure that I've ever seen these elsewhere, and it was a bit of attention to detail that I liked.

Food was very good. The menu is extensive with standard Italian fare, a wide selection of pasta, seafood, veal, beef, and chicken. I had a classic chicken parmesan which was very well executed and came with some broccoli and carrots cooked to perfection (thank you for not overcooking them!) and a generous side of angel hair pasta with your choice of garlic butter sauce or tomato sauce. The meal also included a house salad with nice fresh greens and a creamy italian dressing and bread sticks served with melted garlic butter. My husband had the Linguini di Mar which he said was excellent.

A highlight of the meal was the live music by Paul. Call ahead and try to schedule your visit on a night when he is playing. He is very talented and I enjoyed his music very much. In addition to singing, he played the flute, keyboard, harmonica and guitar. The music was just loud enough without being overbearing. It was still possible to enjoy conversation with our tablemates. Excessively loud restaurants are a pet peeve of mine, so it was a pleasure to find this gem of a restaurant with such a talented musician.

Not a complaint, really, but of note: the service seemed a bit slow. Every order was exactly right, but it just seemed to take awhile to place our order and there was a lag between courses. We had to flag our waiter to request more wine. However, perhaps we need to learn to slow down a bit and enjoy our food and friendships. I'm sure if you let your waiter know that you are in a hurry (we weren't), they would be able to accomodate you. A couple seated near us sat for at least an hour after they finished their meal, simply enjoying the music. The staff seemed happy to accomodate them and there was no rush to clear them out, unlike some places that want to turn around a table as fast as they can.

The full menu is available online, so you can see pricing there. Most entrees seemed to run around $12-$20, with steaks and some seafood dishes running more. House wine was $6.50 a glass with a pretty generous pour. Also, check their website. They are currently offering a 10% discount if you book a reservation through the website.

Overall, for the wide range of menu choices, good quality of food, nice ambiance and excellent music, I give this place 5 stars and look forward to a return visit soon!

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brownsville, Texas
“My favorite restaurant in San Antonio!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I don't understand the bad reviews. I've been going to Milano for 20 years, and it has always been excellent. For an appetizer, the waiter brings you hot breadsticks with melted butter and cheese. Crazy good! Service is good and the food is excellent. The chicken parmesan with pasta is the best I've ever had. I look forward to Milano with great anticipation each time I'm in San Antonio. Try it. It'll become you're favorite too!

Visited June 2011
San Antonio, TX
“Used a Groupon - still wasn't worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We bought a Groupon to try Milano's in Alamo Heights - we hadn't been there in years. Although the Groupon said we could choose certain items from the appetizer, entree and dessert menu - what we found was a special "Groupon" menu that was severely limited and some prices were higher than the regular menu, or the portions were smaller for the same price (steak was 8oz versus 10oz).

Service was good, of course we were early so we were the only people there. But the food was just ok at best. My wife made a bad selection and left most of it. I had the steak (and didn't get the one that was listed on the menu) and it was in two pieces. The first piece was nice and I enjoyed it. The other piece was dry and tough and I left it.

I emailed the restaurant and received an email this morning saying I should have known there would be a special menu. Why? It wasn't mentioned anywhere in the deal - it said we had our choice of entrees - not our choice from a limited, price changed menu.

There are too many good Italian restaurants to go to - this one isn't worth a return trip.

• Visited August 2011