“Outstanding Thai Food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery
San Antonio, TX
“Outstanding Thai Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We have been to this restaurant on numerous occasions during the past 22 years. Our latest meal did not disappoint. We had a spicy tuna roll, spring rolls, we shared a seafood combo and had delicious coconut ice cream. All were wonderful. The restaurant specializes in Thai cuisine and also serves Chinese dishes as well as sushi and sashimi. A great combination. We normally opt for some sushi and Thai dishes.

The place is somewhat shopworn and could use some updating and remodeling, but we
come here for the food, not the ambiance.

A word of caution; the servings are enormous. The appetizers are large and are best shared if you intend to eat your entire entrée, which is also substantial. You cannot go wrong at this place. The servers are friendly and knowledgeable. Van was our server at our most recent meal. He is a fantastic server whose prior experience was in this restaurant's kitchen. He is well versed in all aspects of the food and answered several of my wife's questions concerning the various Asian wines available at the bar. Ask for this young man at your next visit.

All in all, an enjoyable dining experience.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Disappointed ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Looking for some good thia, but ended up with two pea size rocks in the fried spring rolls. The tom yum soup was ok. Had to finish our diner quick because Mosquitos inside restaurant were eating us alive!!! We've been to several thia restaurants and sorry to say we will not be back to this one.

San Antonio, TX
“A review that took 25 years to write....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Let me explain the title; "A review that took 25 years to write!"

My previous visit to Tong's Thai was approximately 25 years ago, right around the time it opened. For who knows what reason; It's been that long since my last visit.
(I've made up for it in the last 2 weeks; with 2 dinners and 1 lunch)

I couldn't tell you why I had never returned in all of those years; but I can happily share why I've gone back repeatedly in the last few weeks.
Tong's absolutely ranks among the 3 best Thai restaurants in town. Fresh seafood and other dishes, all presented in an authentic manner; with friendly service are of course the key. The interior of the restaurant feels classy, yet not fussy featuring clean lines and nicely lit spaces.
But my favorite part of the restaurant has to be the tropical feeling patio. Tall Banana trees, a koi pond and tasteful decorations make it almost feel like you're no longer in San Antonio. A great spot to have dinner on a rare cool San Antonio evening.

A couple of comments for Tong's; consider updating some of the patio furniture (especially as you walk up the steps to the right of the patio), and note a few minor details which can take away from the experience. Things like a ladder and broom leaning against a patio wall, although minor can be distracting from what otherwise could be one of the nicest patios in town.

Minor quibbles aside; If you've never visited Tong's, or are on a vacation trip to San Antonio; put it on your list. I know I wont be waiting another 25 years for my next visit; am thinking lunch, today..........

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boerne, Texas
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Love the spicey dishes. Started out with 2 "large" spring rolls.
Hot and sour soup. Basil bowl is good. Bubble teas are awesome here. Fav: banana, strawberry, mango, almond

Visited March 2014
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Friendly Service, Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I recently went there with a couple friends, and had a wonderful time. Our waiter was friendly and knowledgeable, but the food was even better. I love spicy thai food, and Tong's is my new favorite in town!

Visited October 2013