“Food Better than Waiter” 2 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Chili's Grill & Bar
11727 Bandera Rd, San Antonio, TX 78250-6810 (Northwest Side)
210-682-6661
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Southwestern, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
San Antonio, Texas
“Food Better than Waiter”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I usually do not write such lengthy reviews but have to explain the experience entirely at this Chilis location that we had never been to before. We recently decided to meet friends at this Chili's for Happy Hour. I called in advance to check the times. The young girl that answered was very friendly and without asking she gave me the complete run down of drink specials (which she indicated wine $3.25 and I repeated it to her) and appetizer specials. We arrived and sat in bar area which the hostess, Daisy (Super personable) recommended when we told her we were there for Happy Hour. Our waiter on the other hand was anything but personable or polite. Justin must have been having a super bad day or just doesn't like his job. We tried several times to be pleasant and exchange questions with him and he continued to be "deadpan" and rude. The majority of us ordered wine then did the 2 for $20. When the wine came the glass was warm to the touch and I commented that the wine was very warm and Justin derogatorily said "red is served at room temperature"! and pointed to the bar and said we keep it there. I responded that I was quite aware of what temperature it should be kept at (which I could have been ruder and told him that room temperature is actually warmer than it should be especially in TEXAS, but that this was warmer than it should be.
When we were going to order a last glass close to end of HH and asked if we had time, he indicated that wine is not part of happy hour, just beer, margaritas and well drinks. I told him I had called to inquire before we came and he told me I probably called the wrong Chilis and that they have different specials. I quickly advised him I did call THIS location because that is where we were planning on meeting. Then he rudely picks up the display on the table and tells us we should read it because wine isn't included. I responded that I didn't feel there was reason to read it since I had just called before we headed over and was told the entire HH menu. Then he states well you were told wrong. So he brings the bill and the wine was $5.49 a glass. Not real pricey but it was for too warm of wine and it was the fact of the matter that I had called and was told differently. Then another employee, who didn't introduce himself, approached our table and indicated he heard there was a misunderstanding. So I explained the story to him and he said I got wrong info but he would comp the appetizer. Well that's fine but that was a whopping $3 since it was already part of the 2 or $20 deal. So not a pleasant experience as far as waiter and phone info but that being said, the grilled chicken salad was delicious as were the other entrees and appetizers. But I came across the hostess, Daisy, again after all of this and she put a smile back on my face with her warm Texas charm friendliness:) Thanks Daisy!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Antonio, Texas
“Always love the chicken enchilada soup!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have never had a bad experience at a Chili's. I choose this restuarant when in airports, vacation cities and when casually eating out in hometown.
The "2 for $20" menu is terrific and has great choices - including a small steak. Relaxed atmosphere, always clean, always friendly.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Typical Chili's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Server was great, typical Chili's atmosphere but my food was bad. The queso side was almost solidified, the cheese on my cheesesteak was coagulated and hard-ish. It's still a good place but the food was pretty bad tonight

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Better service than other Chili's in town. One of the "nice" places to eat in the area. Yikes.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Standard Chili's fare; noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008