“No "Deal of the Day"” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Madhatters Tea House and Cafe

Madhatters Tea House and Cafe
320 Beauregard, San Antonio, TX 78204-1305 (Arsenal)
210-212-4832
Neighborhood: Arsenal
San Antonio, Texas
“No "Deal of the Day"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Bought a coupon from "Deal of the day" for Mad Hatters. Went to use the coupon and the business was closed. Called several times to find out their hours and no one would answer, and could not leave a msg. Coupon expired and I finnaly called agian to use the coupon. They would not accept the coupon because it expired. Groupon would have given me credit, but the Deal of the Day, folks, Kens5, stated that it was the reponsibility of the business to make it right. Mad Hatter would not honor their own coupon. I am disappointed that this business would not honor a coupon. No more "Steal of the Day" for me!

Visited February 2012

87% Recommend
San Antonio, Texas
“Change in ownership bears fruit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Good selection of teas from around the world. Best burger in town, but you may have difficulty getting it cooked the way you want. Don't be afraid to send it back. They aim to please.

Austin, Texas
“Our "Change-of-Plans" Breakfast Choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The restaurant across the street, Tito's, was our eagerly-anticipated first choice, but was closed unexpectedly for repairs. So, we walked to Mad Hatter's and stayed so that we didn't have to search for anything else. We were really wanting an authentic Tex-Mex menu, but this was a tolerable alternative. It's very affordable breakfast fare in a counter-service, bohemian atmosphere. I really liked that they have a very eclectic, vintage mug/teacup selection from which you may choose and fill your cup. I ordered the Dean Scramble, which was just okay. It's described as including spinach, but I only found two wilted leaves in my eggs. It still tasted good, but the sausage in the dish was almost frighteningly undercooked. The salsa that accompanied the dish was great--very garlicky. He ordered the Bacon Benny, a bacon version of Eggs Benedict. The hollandaise sauce was on the lighter side, but very nicely prepared. He liked his entree, but the "Grilled Potatoes" that accompanied both our dishes were not only not "grilled," but they weren't even fully cooked. There was a sticker on the glass cover of the very sparsely populated dessert case that promoted this spot as the "2012 Best of San Antonio." After our visit, we couldn't figure out what they were the best at. It also seemed very strange to me that a place so adverse to cell phone use (signs are everywhere--and I approve) also offered Wi-Fi. A sea of blue faces is evidently more tolerable as long as they approve which device you use. It seemed counter-intuitive to me. I might return for an afternoon cup of tea in this funky, neighborhood joint, but I'll only return for breakfast in a breakfast emergency.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Cute Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

It was a basic place with sandwiches/salads/soups. Nothing special. It was convenient to the B&B and worked well for a quick meal when we arrived.

Visited December 2012
Columbia, South Carolina
“Great eclectic lunch spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stopped here for a leisurely coffee during lunch rush and quickly noticed it was too busy for that. After checking out another spot, we returned to Madhatters for lunch. Im glad we did because it was light and yummy food. My husband raved about his mediterranean chicken salad, and I thought my soup and sandwich were good for the price. Not exactly original, but anyplace that uses avocados liberally is fine by me. The atmosphere is what made it a great spot, though.