“Yummy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paesanos

Paesanos
555 E Basse Rd, San Antonio, TX 78209 (Uptown Broadway)
(210) 828-5191
Neighborhood: Uptown Broadway
Fort Worth, Texas
“Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had their famous shrimp dish. It was very yummy. I ordered the petite serving with 3 shrimp, it didn't look like a lot of food, but it was. I couldn't finish it all. Bread and salad were also good. It is alittle pricey, but worth it. Great place for a business meal or a romantic meal with your honey.

Albuquerque
“Fantastic!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited the San Antonio riverwalk for New Years vacation and Paesano's was, by far, the most outstanding dining experience ofthe entire trip. The food was fantastic, service was extrodinary, and given the level of food and service, the proce was quite reasonable.

• Visited December 2012
San Antonio
“Very nice place for dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Comfortable, very good service and food is excellent. We especially liked the spicy sauce with the mussels. Also, the margarita pizza was one of the best we have had. Portions are generous so be prepared to share. We will definitely go back.

McAllen, Texas
“Tradition fading”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Ate here in a party of six on New Year's Day. I grew up in San Antonio and I am well aware of Paesano's place among the finest Italian ristorantes in town. Sadly, I found Paesano's to be less than satisfying on this latest visit.

First, the restaurant itself - seating, ambiance, decor - is really nice. "Comfortably upscale" is how I would describe it. We were seated not far from the front entrance on a cold night, however, so as more people piled into the entry/foyer the more we would get belted by a rush of cold air. A D- for the hostess.

The host/hostess and servers are all young, probably local college or high school students. Nice-looking and nice-talking, but somehow our server seemed uninterested and unwilling to provide a superior service experience. She didn't say it, but the vibe was definitely along the lines of: "Another large party to serve? Why me? Can't I just go on break?" Multiple menu questions were answered with "I don't know" and no offer to find an answer from the kitchen. I generally don't have a problem with that when I'm eating at a Chili's and should know better than to ask such things, but at Paesano's? Another D- for the server.

The food here is a mixed bag. Yes, the Shrimp Paesano is excellent. If you're going to dine here, order that. It is good. It has been their signature dish since they opened. That has not changed in the 40+ years that Paesano's has been around.

I had Chicken Parmesan. It was okay. Not great, not awful. Just okay. I sampled some of the other dishes in our party and liked the cheese ravioli (though I didn't care for the veal-only meatballs), thought the chicken with mushrooms and spinach was okay (huge portion, by the way), and, of course, loved the Shrimp Paesano. Thumbs down from me on the Chicken Marsala, however, and the side-dish pasta with tomato sauce that came with some of the other dishes. I requested the butter and garlic sauce on my side of pasta and was relatively pleased with it.

The regular house salads that came with each meal were nothing but lettuce. The dressing was pretty good. I upgraded to the Caesar salad and was sorely disappointed. It wasn't any different from the Caesar Salad Kits that you can buy at your local grocery store. For $3.95 it certainly wasn't worth the upgrade.

Grade for the food: C

Which brings me to my final point: cost.

$25.50 for Shrimp Paesano. That's steep for fried shrimp with a lemon-butter-garlic sauce on top. My chicken was $19.95. For okay, but not great Chicken Parmesan, that's really steep. My wife's ravioli with the veal meatballs was $12.95 (the bargain of our party), but the serving was small compared to the other entrees at the table. Luckily, everyone in our party was smart enough to avoid ordering any $12+ drinks from the bar. Still, the bill pushed $200. An F for value.

Regulars of this location (and the other two locations in town) surely won't agree with me. That's fine. At the end of the day it's pasta, sauce, and some kind of meat/protein. The quality of the food and the service at Paesano's just aren't worth the prices they charge, plain and simple. This is a San Antonio staple that, in my opinion, has chosen to fall back on its reputation while things slip. The service, food, and pricing all need work. I won't be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio, Texas
“Way to Go Joe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Through all the years and all the locations in San Antonio, this has to be my favorite.

The original location on McCulough had its own charm and a cult following. The ever-present owner, Joe Cosniac, did the seating from memory as the throngs of diners entered the restaurant without so much as a last name uttered for reservations. And one obtained a glass of wine on the honor system; order as many glasses as you liked while waiting and simply tell the waiter how many you had when you were seated. The wine was a fairly inexpensive one and a blind eye was knowingly turned for customers who did not quite remember having that third or fourth glass.

Back to the present: as soon as one enters the parking lot, the smell of smoke from the wood fired ovens greets you. Further, upon entering the restaurant, it gives the place the aroma and ambiance of a beautiful country inn. The fish, beef, pasta and fowl dishes are all expertly prepared and it shows in everything from the sumptuous appetizers, to the gourmet sauces, to the voluptuous desserts.

The veal francesca, which they do not serve at this location, is my unending entree of choice - lightly battered veal medallions in a piquant lemony, garlicky butter sauce - "to live for"! My second choice is probably everybody else's favorite as well - shrimp paesano. I obtained the recipe for this dish years ago and have just about perfected it - lighly sauteed shrimp in rich, egg yolk enhanced, butter-garlic lemon sauce -another dish "to live for". The delicate sauce takes a bit of a deft hand to ensure that it does not "break" into unappetizing scrambled egg gobs; a little time consuming, but oh the results . . . . When I have friends over for dinner and prepared this dish, I have to triple the recipe for the sauce. It is that good!! One of my friends whom will probably soon be dead from arterial stenosis, used to put it on everything in his plate as well as drench his baguette in it . . . I had to call a halt to his enthusiastic use when he wanted to put it on the tiramisu!

• Visited November 2012