“Very Good Steak House” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bohanan's Prime Steak and Seafood

Bohanan's Prime Steak and Seafood
219 E Houston St, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Downtown)
(210) 472-2600
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bohanan's Prime Steak and Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 4,197 Restaurants in San Antonio
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Navarro or Saint Mary's
Transit: Bohanan's is located in the center of downtown San Antonio; walking distance from most downtown hotels and conveniently located to city's public transportation.
Description: Bohanan’s fame is founded on sublimely tender prime beef grilled over fragrant mesquite wood. Enjoy extraordinarily delicious Akaushi beef, Chef/Owner Mark Bohanan’s large custom cuts of prime aged corn-fed beef, succulent seafood flown in fresh daily, and spectacular table-side desserts flambé. Imbibe a classic cocktail at the first-floor Bar at Bohanan’s, then join us upstairs for the best steak you’ve ever eaten. Located in a historic building in downtown San Antonio about a block from the River Walk. AAA Four Diamond rating and Wine Spectator’s Best of Award of Excellence.
Houston, Texas
“Very Good Steak House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Wasn't planning to but checked on Yelp to see a good restaurant in the area and Bohanan's popped up as the place for steaks. It was by our hotel so we hopped over around dinner time (7ish) and they said the next available table isn't till 10 pm. We walked off, looking for another place, but the savvy wife went and booked a time on Opentable via mobile for an hour later. We walked around the Riverwalk (which was fantastic on such a nice weather night) and then back to Bohanah's to eat.

We had a drink downstairs, which I guess is the bar/waiting area, and then upstairs in the elevator for dinner. We were seated promptly and served. Drink menu had a wide selection so you should be able to find whatever drink of your choosing. The oysters for appetizers were fantastic, good size, lightly toasted, great tasting and perfect for starters. Wife had the Chilean Bass (which you really can't go wrong on) and I had the bone-in steak... cooked to perfection. Steak was large and I had to leave some of it on the plate (which I wish I could have some now).

Service was excellent and I do like the ambiance of the place. The place is a bit older with a historic flavor which fits the place perfectly. Highly recommended and I would definitely go back (and finish the rest of my steak!).

Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Just what we hoped for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Every year I go on a football/golf trip with seven buddies who appreciate a good restaurant and aren't afraid to pay for it. We usually have one splurge meal at whatever would be the most logical type of place to eat, depending on the destination. In Texas it has to be meat of one sort or another. This year we were in San Antonio and the choice, based on Trip Advisor and confirming it with a San Antonio tourist rep, was Bohanan's. We picked it because it wasn't a chain, has been around a long time and it very centrally located. I made an online reservation a good month in advance which was a good thing because the place was hopping.

We arrived early enough to get a cocktail at the very classy bar on the first level and were escorted to our seats promptly at the appointed time. The decor is dominated by the dark panelled wood that seems to give upscale steakhouses a homey feel, almost like a private club. The lighting was suitably dim without being too dark. Our table had a glass wall that gave us a great view of the bar below. The wine list is very extensive and has a particularly strong selection of California cabs that are perfect with steak. Our waiter made a couple of recommendations that were dead on.

Most of us decided from the getgo that we wanted a top quality steak and at Bohanan's, if you are willing to pay, you can get it. Our waiter explained that they served several grades of each cut based upon the aging, the feed and the tenderization. The top grade had characteristics of Kobe or waygu beef in terms of tenderness (and price). I elected to go with the top quality ribeye. After a great appetizer of French grilled oysters and a salad, the ribeye was brought.

It was absolutely cooked to perfection and the fat caramelized as only can happen at very high heat. I can honestly say that it may have been the best piece of meat I have ever tasted. Washed down with the wine it left me with no room for dessert. The feeling of satisfaction after this meal was worth the splurge.

My experience was shared by all the others in our group who agreed it was one of the great meals we have shared as golfing buds in the last thirty years. I am sorry that others did not get the great experience we had that night, but hopefully that was an anomaly because Bohanan's is as well run a steakhouse as I have come across.

Elmira, New York
“Highly rated, Horrible Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I always come to Trip Advisor for reviews not only on hotels, but also in looking for great places to eat when we are on business trips. I've become the one to choose where we eat when out of town and for our trip to San Antonio, I went with the #3 rated steak house listed on here (and on Yelp).
Wow, what a disappointment. I don't know if they were overwhelmed by the number of reservations that they had for the evening or if they aren't used to having that many people in the restaurant, but what an incredible disappointment.
We were in town for a national beer convention and from chatting with other members of our convention, we'd all found the same thing - Bohanon's seemed to be the place to get a great steak.
When we arrived, albeit, we arrived exactly at 7:28, our reservation was for 7:30 but we asked to have a quick beer at the bar first. This did not seem to suit the Maitre d' as he soon asked if he could please seat our table of 11. We were in a bit of a cramped space, but it was fine, all of the attendees at our table are long term friends and we weren't the only large group in the place. We were actually on the smaller side of the groups.
Our waiter, I wish I remembered his name, was wonderful as he could be during our meal. We were seated by 7:45 and ordered another round of beverages. We had our menus and ordered appetizers, the way the waiter suggested, and then our dinners. Then we waited... and waited.. and then our appetizers came out, done by plate so that each person got a little of each appetizer. The appetizer was quite good, in my opinion, although really quite small after waiting almost 45 minutes for it to be brought out. We had one shrimp with coconut, 2-3 pieces of tuna and two pieces of crab meat. If I'd known they were going to be small, I would've just ordered my own appetizer, as would most of our table. After that, we waited another half hour or so until the salad portion of the meal came out. The wedge was very good, as that's what I enjoyed but waiting so long between courses, I was starting to be full and no longer hungry. We waited just about an hour until our main courses came out. One meal was completely wrong, the waiter apologized and left the piece of fish for the table to eat and told the gentleman in our group that his order would be done shortly. We had several of the special kobe steaks and filets on the bone in our party. One was so raw in the middle, I think it moo'd on the way to the table. The person sitting next to me, and my kobe filet, was incredibly rare (although we both ordered it medium rare) and both were also cold.
My brother's filet was beyond rare and the gentleman who had no dinner yet, sat for about 10 minutes watching everyone else eat. The raw filet with the bone in was sent back to the kitchen to be cooked more and came back out no more done then it was when it was originally delivered.
In looking at the left over food that was left on the guys plates, I felt absolutely horrible about choosing this restaurant as our 'steakhouse of choice'. I was very surprised that we weren't checked on again before the end of the meal when they were cleaning the plates. The look on our waiters face when he saw all of the food left on the plates was very telling, however, he never said a word to the table about all of the left over steak. Nor did anyone else come over to ask how our dinner had been that evening.
In all, our dinner took almost 3 1/2 hours. When they asked if we were under a time crunch, I didn't realize that it meant dinner would take forever and it wasn't because we were being able to enjoy it! We also realized that we arrived before many of the other tables in the room and we were one of the last remaining tables when the check arrived.
The next morning, I learned that the person with the uncooked bone in filet and my brother had both been up all night getting sick. I don't like to ever assume anything, but when meat is ordered that is not supposed to be rare or raw, food poisoning can happen.
I felt horribly and will NEVER eat at this steak house again. Nor will I ever recommend it to other business travelers who consistently visit San Antonio. With the cost of the meal, I would've expected good food, served at a timely rate that was actually enjoyable. None of which this meal was, in our opinion.
I also learned that groups of our Corporate teams, dining seperatelly but containing over 8 people a piece, left the restaurant after 2 1/2 hours because their appetizers hadn't even been delivered.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Food was disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I've eaten at many great steakhouses and the focus should be on the steak. The side dishes were excellent, the service was excellent, but the it was not worth the over $30 paid just for the steak. The restaurant was hopping so the noise level was also too high to have any conversation that didn't require raising your voice. I had great expectations because I'd heard so much about this place. Very disappointed.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Idaho Falls
“Wonderful Family Owned TX Steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

If you are reading this review, you have no need to keep looking for a steak house. This is the one. They have an awesome bar downstairs when you walk it. It is a modern saloon with overstuffed leather furniture, great services and classy bar area. You talk to the host near the elevator when it is time for dinner. The doors open up to white pine wood floors, white tablecloths and the hustle of a restaurant that is looking to take the best care of the customers and serve the best steaks. I ordered a rib eye that was so perfect I don't expect to ever find one any better. The sides were typical steakhouse sides, but the appetizers of lump crab meat and some great fried items were awesome. All the steaks at the table were perfect. Check this place out, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited October 2013