“Old Favorite” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Mirador

El Mirador
722 S Saint Marys St, San Antonio, TX 78205-3435 (Arsenal)
(210) 225-9444
Neighborhood: Arsenal
San Antonio, Texas
“Old Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Trevino family, for two generations, has continually put wonderful food before their clientele. I consider it a privilege to be able to enjoy their enchiladas mexicanas on Fridays - a lunch special that day only. Also wonderful are their internationally known soups, available daily and on Saturdays. The chicken mole dishes are superb. Nice bar with a good selection of cocktails, beer and wine.

Visited January 2013

Dearborn, Michigan
“I'd move to San Antonio to eat here!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

BEST Mexican food ever! Lobster, spinach, and cheese soft taco, shrimp tortillas, sugar-cured tenderloin, even the flan was outstanding, and each dish had a distinct and discernible flavor, not just tomato and more tomato. The vegetables actually taste like vegetables, carrots sweet and crunchy, tomatoes like -you got it-tomatoes!!! So VERY VERY good!

Visited January 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Breakfast on the Decline”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I literally stumbled upon El Mirador during our first trip to San Antonio many years ago and have returned (especially for breakfast) ever since. It used to be that the waitstaff only spoke Spanish and the menu was only in Spanish--a cue to me that it is truly authentic. El Mirador took me back to my days in college in Chihuahua, with the picadillo tacos being my favorite. This time, I was disappointed, though.

The menu was in English and the waiters spoke English (not a big deal), and the food was just okay--I can make better picadillo, and I'm a gringa--the salsa was not anywhere close to Chihuahua-spicy.

Overall, I will likely visit again just to see if maybe they were having a bad day...hopefully they can turn things around and get the food back to the authentic Mexican food I look forward to.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio, Texas
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We recently moved back to San Antonio & decided to go to one of our old favorites, El Mirador. While the soup was delicious (we had the bean soup), we didn't realize it would be a thin broth with no beans in it at all. It had a great flavor, but was very pricey for what was essentially the liquid left behind when you scoop out all the beans! Additionally, our waiter asked us if we preferred corn or flour tortillas when he took our order. We thought that would mean we had some tortillas coming, but no. Also, while my back was turned, a waiter refilled my half-empty water glass. It was quite disconcerting to take a drink expecting water and getting diluted, flat sprite. I never found out what happened because the only time our waiter came by the table was to leave our bill. Since the bill wasn't inside a folder at all, we assumed we should take the ticket to the front to pay. When we did this, the owner/manager snapped at my husband to take it back to our table and the waiter would take care of it! As we were leaving, I mentioned to the manager/owner that we never received our tortillas and he then snapped that tortillas don't come with the soup. How were we to know that since our waiter asked us which we would prefer? Maybe they were just taking a poll...:-) Anyway, we won't be going back to El Mirador. We have many other delicious Mexican restaurants in San Antonio where we are made to feel like valued customers!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newark, New Jersey
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We enjoyed a nice dinner in the patio. The food and service were excellent. We had the best enchiladas. We were looking for authentic mexican restaurant and we were very happy!

Visited November 2012