“It's a treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Guenther House

The Guenther House
205 E Guenther St, San Antonio, TX 78204 (Arsenal)
(210) 227-1061
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 4,197 Restaurants in San Antonio
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Families with children, Doing business, Scenic view, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Arsenal
Valley Mills, TX
“It's a treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Every year when we make a visit to San Antonio we try to have a breakfast at Guenther House. When we have been there early (within the first hour of opening), we have our choice if seating, but after 8am there is generally a wait, especially on the weekends. The location is lovely in the old world elegant, now trendy, King William District on the river. The building is a picturesque turn of the century gem with a small Pioneer Flour Mills museum and gift shop inside that you can peruse while you wait. The breakfast portions are hearty and delicious.

Newcastle, Oklahoma
“Great breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Took a little driving time to get to the restaurant but well worth it. We had breakfast and the pancakes were delicious. Went through the History of the place while we waited for seating. Beautiful vintage look. Bought some pancake mix from the little store they have there.

• Visited November 2012
Loganville, Georgia
“Has a lot of unrealized potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had breakfast here one morning while walking the southern part of the Riverwalk. The setting is fantastic, in an old mill along the river. I suppose that classic setting along with a recommendation from a friend who lives in San Antonio gave me high expectations for the food. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed. The biscuit and gravy were good but I have had better at fast food restaurants. The pancakes were good, but, again, nothing unique or better than those from a national chain. This would have been ok, but the service was terrible. Though I was there before the rush, getting my order taken, as well as paying, took an excessive amount of time. Finally, though not to the point of unacceptability, there were far too many flies buzzing around the indoor dining room. Would I go back? Probably, but I think with some attention and tweaking, this restaurant has a lot more potential than it is realizing.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Everything about this charming restaurant makes it special.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This vintage piece of history is located downtown in the King William area. It is a little hard to get to while there is road construction in the area, and expect a wait, but it is worth it. Dine inside or out for breakfast or lunch, and look around the grounds and the museum upstairs to learn a bit about its history. There is a gift shop upstairs to take away some jams or pancake mix, and a few baked items in the bakery to take home as well. I recommend the breakfast platter and I also love their chicken salad, and I will tell everyone I know about this little gem.

Clovis, New Mexico
“Gorgeous Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

WAIT TIME: Sunday at 7:10am we had no wait, in fact we were the first people there. If you wait till after 8am it does start picking up and I am sure there will be a wait list by 9am

SERVICE: Excellent service. Eric was our server.

FOOD: Delicious. Very homemade tasting. Great serving portions.

**Great overall value.