“Won't go back” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #71 of 4,140 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Hamburgers
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
San Antonio, Texas
“Won't go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

First of all I'm glad we tried this restaurant in the day light. The neighborhood is a little sketchy. Happy to see security guard in the parking lot. The food and service was ok. Restaurant was packed. Had to sit outside. Happy I tried it, but I probably wouldn't go back. I prefer Chester's Hamburgers.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Huntsville, Alabama
“great burger place to bring the family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

The good- Burgers were big and good, I was a little leary of a burger covered in refried beans and tortilla chips but they pulled it off. The place is big and roomy and lots of kids
The bad- the neighborhood is a little dice. But they have a security guard in the parking lot.

Visited February 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Very Big, Very Thin Burgers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Knowing that I love good burger places, local friends decided to take me to Chris Madrid’s. The place doesn’t look like much from the outside, and I’m not sure I would even have noticed it if I were just passing by. It’s a simple one-story, almost run-down looking white building. We were there in the late afternoon and the place was almost empty.

When you walk in, you are in a large, open room which is the main dining area. To order, we had to walk through the main room to a register in a smaller room in the back corner. While not exactly rude, the lady taking our order at the register wasn’t exactly pleasant, either. She took our order and our money with little eye contact and without even an attempt at a smile. Even though the restaurant wasn’t busy, we couldn’t find a clean table and ended up having to clean one off ourselves in order to sit down.

I ordered the macho flaming jalapeño burger and fresh-cut fries. “Macho” is their designation for a ½ pound burger. The burgers are very thin, so a half pound burger has a pretty wide circumference. Much of it hung off the bun and made it difficult to eat without all of the toppings falling off. It was messy. I would have preferred either a bigger bun or a thicker burger that would have fit the bun size. The menu had said that the flaming jalapeño burger was “not for sissies,” but a “sissy” could certainly have handled this heat level. The jalapeños didn’t taste like they had any heat at all. It wasn’t much different than just having pickles. The vinegar flavor was stronger than any heat there might have been. The meat itself had a good flavor, but wasn’t outstanding. While I like toasted buns, the bun was overly charred. The fries were good. They weren’t limp and weren’t overly greasy.

If I were to go back again, I’d try a different burger since the jalapeño burger didn’t live up to my heat expectations. I’d also get regular burger so I wouldn’t have the logistical problems that I had trying to eat the big burger with the small bun. And I would hope that the tables would be a little cleaner next time.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio, Texas
“How Cheesy Can You Get!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

The definition of critical mass: Chris Madrid's? I had forgotten how wildly popular this place is as I had not been in a couple of years. Indicators: the few available spaces in the parking lot, scant empty seating in a sea of tables, and an ordering queue long enough to require a roving order taker to help reduce the long line.
I was also surprised to receive a pager versus the old order's ready notification process where you could barely hear your name screamed out over the 90 decibel din of the raucous crowd of burger swillers. We both ordered the Cheddar Cheezy, but I decided to try the macho this time as I had always thought it would probably be too big. But I was ready for a big burger having had no breakfast and as it was 2:00 in the afernoon. Managed to find a table that was just being vacated by a family of 50 (just looked that way) and hoovered over a couple of spots until it was cleaned.
Pager buzzed and I picked up our order. For a moment I could'nt figure out what this 10" diameter avalanche of cheese with a bun on top was! For a cheese lover, this burger version is tantamount to a lb. of Godiva for a chocoholic. Yet too much cheese?! Not on your life!!! The only problem was trying to figure out how to pick this thing up.as the meat and cheese exceeded the rim of the bun by a couple of inches! Got my face down as close to the table as I could and shoved it in. Never had a cheese moustache before. My wife was ready to move to another table leaving my heathen consumption method behind.
I finally managed to fold the overlapping burger meat and cheese onto the bun and proceeded with a normal two-handed burger decimation grip. Finished the whole cheesy overload, 25 napkin wiping, WImpy (from Popeye cartoons) meal fantasy inducing, deliciously taste pleasing Madrid menu icon.
Two itty bitty complaints though; you can't order the burger medium. It's like the Model A car. You could order it in any color you liked as long as it was black. In this case, it's well-done. What a shame. Even with all that cheese the meat can be a little dry. #2. The standard order of fries was touted as being enough for two. If you cull all of the small burnt ends, there was barely enough to satisfy two hungry diners.
"Run the gauntlet" again for another Cheddar Cheezy? You bet!! And " I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today".
-Ref: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Wellington_Wimpy)

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Windsor, New York
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This restaurant is wonderful!!!! While visiting San Antonio I was told to check this place out. Definitely was a little nervous to see a security guard sitting outside the place. Brushed that off and went inside to try it out. The food was amazing!!! Would definitely stop here again in my travels to San Antonio.

Visited October 2013