“Not just a meal.....it's an experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crumpets Restaurant & Bakery

Crumpets Restaurant & Bakery
3920 Harry Wurzbach Rd, San Antonio, TX 78209-2410 (Northeast San Antonio)
210-821-5454
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #622 of 4,090 restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Bakery
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Northeast San Antonio
Schertz, Texas
“Not just a meal.....it's an experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Where has this place been all my life?! My husband & I had driven by this secret jewel many times, but finally made the decision to have dinner there one night after looking at the menu on line. I wanted to spoil my husband with an amazing dinner as he was home for 3 weeks of R&R from Afghanistan and good food is always a PLUS when he is home for those few precious weeks. We came in on a week night and were greeted so very sweetly by Steven who was also our waiter. It turned out we were basically the only diners... Slow on a Tuesday night... Perfect! The ambiance, music and the smells from the kitchen were telling me that we had made an excellent choice for the night. From the beginning of the meal, Steven was very knowledgable of their menu and we decided to do the Pre-Fixe Dinner (Appetizer/Salad or Soup/Entree & Dessert). Steven recommended the amazing house dressing for the salad and the Beef Wellington for the meal. After the deliciously different appetizers (Smoked Salmon & Black Truffle Mouse Patte), Steven brought us a small glass of rasperry sorbet to clean our pallets and explained the reason behind it. GENIUS! The Beef Wellington was served....and suddenly I felt like I had been transported to France. I had never seen or smelled anything so aromatic and delicious....it was a piece of art! Steven spoiled us as guests, and I believe he would have done the same if the house had been packed! We were absolutely spoiled rotten by him and the chef, Francois!! And to top it off for dessert, a chocolate cake that made my husband almost shed a tear it was so good and a Creme Brulee that I'm almost certain had a hint of cayenne pepper....it blew my socks off it was SO good.

• Visited October 2012

69% Recommend
Tampa, Florida
“Small menu but excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Went here on a whim. Glad we did. Menu was small but food was excellent. Had a steak sandwich for lunch with made to order fries. Food was prepared just as we liked. They offer either a salad or dessert free. I chose dessert which was a lemon creme cake. It was also great. Fresh and light. Atmosphere was like you.were in the woods. We want to go back for dinner. Its tad pricey but when food is that good its worth it. Service was excellent. Our server even gave us a 20% discount even though we didn't have a coupon. They gave is a $10 discount towards dinner. This place years ago had been downtown san antonio.

San Antonio
“Birthday ake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

The lemon chiffon cake is delicious and highly recommended. The cost was about $25.00, but is worth the cost.

Visited April 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“An Enjoyable Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

A friend and I had dinner using a Groupon. This was the best meal I've had at Crumpets in all the years they've been open. The dining room was perfectly lit, with enough light to easily read the menu, but not enough to be glaring. The soft background music provided atmosphere, and, miracle of miracles these days, we were able to have a conversation! Most restaurants are so loud that is impossible. Sometimes a return to a previous era is just what we want. Our server, whose name I forgot, was friendly and competent, so she added a lot to the pleasure of the evening. The owner went from table to table greeting guests. Now to the food: we enjoyed the Stuffed Mushrooms and Mousse Truffle Pate appetizers, followed by tasty Sicilian Chicken, beautifully presented with fried diced potatoes, broccoli and carrots. It's unusual to be served vegetables that are crisp tender rather than overcooked or just blanched and raw-tasting. I should have written down the name of my inexpensive glass of red wine, which was very good. The Grand Marnier Creme Brulee was a wonderful dessert.

• Visited August 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“Crumpets”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Lovely atmosphere and wonderful waiter but the food was less than mediocre and price terrible for quality of food. Potatoes overcooked, tough and tasteless. Regular vegetables that were so bland! Seafood overcooked and with a lemon butter sauce that was almost nonexistent. Save your money and go to one of the town's moderately priced restaurants that have well prepared food.

• Visited August 2012