“Not what it used to be” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Morton's The Steakhouse - San Antonio

Morton's The Steakhouse - San Antonio
849 E. Commerce Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Downtown)
(210) 228-0700
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Morton's The Steakhouse - San Antonio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 4,139 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Crockett & Bonham
Description: Morton's The Steakhouse, the nation's premier steakhouse group, specializes in classic, hearty fare, serving generous portions of USDA prime aged beef, as well as fresh fish, lobster and chicken entrees. The menu features a variety of favorite cuts, including a 24 ounce porterhouse, which is the house specialty; a 16 ounce New York Strip and a 12 ounce double cut filet.
San Antonio, Texas
“Not what it used to be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Sadly, Morton's just hasn't lived up to it's previous experiences. Since being taken over by the Landry's chain, it just seems that everything is a notch lower. I wouldn't be surprised if the food is a step in quality lower and the staff is paid a little less. Everything just seems less professional and well done. I've traditionally purchased and given gift cards to Morton's every year to my business clients. This will be my last time. I'd give it a 3.5*.

I greatly prefer Pappa's Steakhouse or Eddie V's for a top end steakhouse. Not to mention a number of others.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tennessee
“Extraordinary, yet expensive.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I accepted a dinner invitation from a company for an evening at Morton's Steakhouse while I was in San Antonio. I was among a group of 40 or so that was served in the private room for such functions. The staff was attentive, quick to fill glasses with water or wine and retrieved specialty drinks rather quickly from the bar.
The Caesar salad was rather simple with just lettuce & dressing but had crispy bread to accompany and I noticed that most guests did not eat all of their salad.
The entree choices were steak or salmon. I chose the salmon which which was more than plenty, moist & well cooked. It was served over of some type of corn/bean salsa ans skinny green beans on the side. The dessert was chocolate mousse and it was the best I have ever tasted.
I noticed that the service was just as exceptional out in the restaurant area serving small tables of guests.
On my way out, I picked up a brochure thinking that I would return later during my trip. I was surprised at the cost of the items. A hamburger is $17. The Filet Mignon is $49 (by itself). Porterhouse $56. The Salmon Filet I had was $34. Your side dishes run between $10-12 and can include creamed spinich, mushrooms, onion rings, and for the healthminded...asparagus or brussel sprouts. The desserts were $11.
Although I was a guest and did not have to pay for my meal, if I return, I would be looking at close to the average meal being $65-$100 per person. But sometimes you have to account that you are paying for the experience and the setting. And the setting was very intimate without the party atmosphere that most restaurants now days reflect.
Valet parking is available but be sure to ask where the entry to Morton's is. No fancy entrance here. No sir! It was like a back door and then you go through another door. Reminded me of what it would have been like to get into a "Speakeasy" back in the 20's...but once your get in...the experience was everything it should have been.
I recommend that if you want to spend a little more and have an intimate dinner with someone special or have an atmosphere that is great for conversation with friends & family while being spoiled by staff...visit Morton's Steakhouse connected to the Rivercenter Mall.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Illinois
“Love the Bar Bites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We love our local Morton's in Rosemont, IL. It is definitely a "special occasion" or "expense account" kind of place, but we love their Bar Bites menu. It's a great option for feeling like you're indulging yourself but in a very affordable price range. We spotted the San Antonio Morton's just steps from our hotel room during a recent visit. We ended up eating there twice. John was our server both times. The food and drinks were great and John is a gracious and attentive server.

Visited March 2013
San Antonio
“mmmmmm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Good all the way around - great staff and food. Bar is well run and employees in good spirits. Made up for the terrible reception a the Crockett Hotgel across the street. Price is what you expect with the type fo service.

Visited March 2013
Newtown, Connecticut
“Steak served with elegance!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We wanted a nice night out and I was craving one of those famous Morton's steaks. We were not disappointed. A real treat for the taste buds and a challenge for the ole stomach to hold it all. Services was excellent as expected. If you want to do some romancing, a stop at Morton's goes a long ways!

• Visited February 2013