“BEST BURGER IN SAN ANTONIO” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chester's Hamburger Co.

Chester's Hamburger Co.
9980 W Interstate 10, San Antonio, TX
Improve this listing
Ranked #639 of 4,197 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Hamburgers
San Antonio
“BEST BURGER IN SAN ANTONIO”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The blogs are divided on which restaurant has the best burger in San Antonio. However, I vote for Chester's. I have been coming here since it first opened in San Antonio. The meat patties are fresh and never frozen. French fries are cut daily with skin on and are thick. Kudos to Chester's for finally bringing back the seeded buns! Hot dogs are enormous and very good with the chili. Moreover, if you are into beer, they always have a daily beer special. The beer selection is very good and they will have obscure beers that I mention.

Visited February 2013

San Antonio, Texas
“1950s Sci-Fi Remake”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Do you remember the black and white Sci-Fi movie from the 50's titled the Incredible Shrinking Man . . . well, I think I found the sequel . . . the Incredible Shrinking Burger Patty! It may just be my imagination, or it could be that I have found other burger joints that now serve a hamburger that actually has a thick meat patty you can really sink your teeth into.
I used to thoroughly enjoy Chester's, but as of late, and for either of the aforementioned reasons, it seems like I am biting into a salad bar when I have one of their burgers. Sure I could order a double meat patty burger, but the single is not exactly cheap to begin with. I could also order a naked burger without any lettuce, tomato, onions, or pickles, but what's the point then. The flavor of the meat by itself is good, and the rest of the burger accouterments are fresh . . . I will give it that. I still like the place and have eaten here for over 20 years. It's just when I am craving a nice thick, juicy burger, I no longer think of Chester's and their flat third inch thick patty. It's become a third or fourth choice for me now considering what is available in the same price range from other stores and food trucks.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Better Than Fast Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

When I got a craving for a really good hamburger while I was in San Antonio, Chester’s was the place that was recommended by local friends. Good call on their part. There were a lot of cars in the parking lot when we got there and we were afraid we’d have a problem getting a seat, but there was still plenty of room. You order at the counter and pick it up when you’re name is called. Burgers are cooked on a flat top in full view, so you see what you’re getting.

Burgers come on a fresh poppy-seed bun, and are so juicy that the bun might start to disintegrate before you’re done. The burger tasted great, very well-seasoned and a good meaty flavor, but the vegetables were lacking. The lettuce on my burger was a little old and slimy feeling, so I picked most of it off, and they were a little skimpy on the tomato. The fries were fresh cut, which is always a plus, but were limp. The onion rings were good, though I prefer a lighter batter. If you like a heavy batter, these would be perfect. Servings of both fries and onion rings are large and could easily be shared by more than one person. Even with the shortcomings, the food was far better than anything you could get at a fast food place and certainly worth the difference in price.

They have an incredible bottled beer selection, better than I’ve seen in some bars or liquor stores. The entire refrigerated area behind the counter is devoted to beer. I noticed a pretty impressive selection of imports, as well as hard cider and single-serve bottles of sangria. It’s definitely a good place to go when you want a good burger and beer combination. They also make milkshakes and real malts.

With the alcohol selection and TVs, the place has a sports bar atmosphere, though you could certainly bring the family here. However, I didn’t notice a children’s menu. The burgers are not cheap, so if you are looking for an inexpensive burger place to feed the kids, this might not meet your needs.

• Visited December 2012