“Great way to spend a morning.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 146 Activities in San Antonio
Type: Sports Complexes, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: By appointment only! We strongly recommend booking at least 30 days in advance! Seriously!! San Antonio Western Shooting provides a safe, supervised fun Western Shooting Experience using real guns and real bullets. We provide instruction in the safe handling shooting of all guns. No experience necessary! You will have the opportunity to shoot reproductions of guns such as the Colt 1873 Peacemaker pistol in a western setting. When you get used to those guns we will have you shoot the double barreled shotgun. Shooters will shoot about 75 rounds and it will take about 3 hours, the cost is $130 per person. All of our shooting sessions are by appointment only! Sorry, no "fast draw" or "twirling" of guns is permitted. Absolutely no alcoholic beverages are permitted onsite. Guests may bring observers at no extra cost. See our website and Facebook page for more information. Unruly children will be sold to the Comanche.
Worcester Park, null, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Great way to spend a morning.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Just got back from spending the morning at San Antonio Western shooting.
Found out about it through trip advisor and booked well in advance.
My husband and I had a fantastic time and as some people had cancelled at the last minute we had three instructors all to ourselves. They were all very nice and helpful and made us feel special as well as giving very good instruction. I would never have thought that I could shoot at the blade of an axe and split a bullet in half, which I managed on my second attempt, hubby did on his first go! Well worth a visit.

Visited October 2013

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“It was a blast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Like a lot of others we found out about this through Trip Advisor when looking for something to do in San Antonio. This was something we had missed out on doing in Wyoming on a previous trip so jumped at the chance when previous reviews were so good. We had a fantastic morning with Beans and Salk Valey Sam who gave us a very thorough safety briefing before we were taken to the 'shooting range'. Yes, the set ups of the card game, stagecoach hold-up and the homestead are simple and pretty much home-made but who cares? The cowboys were great company, full of information and enthusiasm, and made each scenario come to life with their infectious sense of humour and obvious love of what they do. We were totally at ease from the start, laughed a lot, shot a lot (those gringos had no chance!) and left wanting to do it all again.....and again. Cannot recommend it highly enough, particularly to non US tourists who perhaps have never held a gun before (like me), never mind split a bullet on an axe head!

Visited October 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Experience!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Loved it....Highlight of our week in San Antonio!!! It was an "edu-tainment experience. Small group , lot's of personal attention in a very relaxed setting and format.

Durham
7 attraction reviews
“San Antonio Western Shooting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I stumbled across San Antonio Western Shooting whilst trawling Trip Advisor for stuff to do on our Texan road trip. I'd never fired a gun in my life, but it was something I'd always wanted to do...and of course my husband, being a man, was automatically up for the challenge.

I booked well in advance of our trip to ensure we could definitely reserve the date we wanted (being in the UK, I did this via email - which was dealt with easily and quickly).

I must admit, this part of our road trip was possibly what I was mostly looking forward to! I mean, I'm a writer and I like experiencing new stuff - so now I can write about characters shooting all kinds of guns and actually know what I'm talking about :-D

Anyway, when we arrived at the shooting range we were greeted immediately. The men who run SAWS are a blast (pardon the pun). They are extremely friendly and are quick to put you at ease. I was also very impressed by their overall level of professionalism in regards to the handling of the guns and general safety guidelines. I felt completely at ease because there was always someone watching over my shoulder ensuring I was doing everything that I should be doing.

But, as well as being strict where needed, these guys were a whole load of fun! And, thanks to them, I discovered that I was such a lousy shot initially because I'm right-handed but left-eye dominant (which I never realised before). An Elastoplast stuck over the left lens of my safety glasses solved this problem instantly, and I was back in the game! In fact, I even split the bullet on the axe head first time round (not that I'm bragging or anything) :-D

This experience was the most fun I'd had in ages and I thoroughly, absolutely recommend that everybody should give it a go. It's all about having a good laugh! Oh and you get to meet, quite possibly, the tallest cowboy in the world :-)

Thanks guys for a very memorable day!!!

Christchurch, New Zealand
“Everything you could want from the Wild West”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had a great time and would definitely go back. We got to shoot six shooters, repeating rifles and shotguns all in a hate and fun environment. Safety is fantastic and the guys who take it are fantastic. The city of San Antonio should be promoting this more. you get great instruction, and the get some great targets to shoot at. We will be back and recommend it to everyone whether or not you have handled a firearm or not