“Last minute jaunt to San Antonio yields a perfect stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mokara Hotel and Spa

Save Saved
You added Mokara Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Mokara Hotel and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   212 W. Crockett, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Formerly Watermark Hotel and Spa) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #1 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Last minute jaunt to San Antonio yields a perfect stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We've stayed at many different hotels on The Riverwalk and the Mokara is arguably the best. Not only was the property very nice, but it also happens to be the nicest pet friendly hotel we've stayed at. I surprised my wife for a last minute get-away and she loved everything about it. I went for the upgraded "River View" room w/ balcony and it was worth it. The roof top pool was excellent and poolside service was actually prompt. Both of us got a massage at the spa and were not disappointed. Our experiences with hotel massages have been hit or miss. Both my wife and I loved our massage and the entire spa facility was very impressive. We'd heard it was rated as "the nicest on the Riverwalk" and it did not disappoint. From the front desk to room service, customer service was very good. The front/exterior of the hotel is a little unassuming, but once you get inside it's an entirely different story. The only somewhat negative thing I'd say really isn't about the hotel, but more about the location of a "grassy knoll" for our dog to do her business. You have to walk two or three blocks to find any nearby GRASS, which our dog NEEDS to do the business. Regardless, we'll be back.

607 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Spa at the Mokara is outstanding. Please note that it is pricey but well worth the money. The Spa provides a relaxation room, sauna, whirlpool, and steam room for you to enjoy with your treatment. I had the Mokara Personalized Facial with Heidi and my only complaint was that the hour for the treatment seemed to fly by and my face feels wonderful. The spa is spotless with water, nuts and fruit complimentary. The showers are super and all the amenities are provided so you don't need to take anything with you but your swim suit to enjoy all of the other services available. Since I live in San Antonio, I plan to go back at least every other month if not every month to have Heidi treat my skin. BTW they provide valet parking for spa services and you only need to tip, no charge for the valet service.

Room Tip: Spa is outstanding and is for both men and women.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Exceptionally clean and spacious rooms. Very responsive staff -- we changed our room type very easily over the phone prior to arrival. We stayed in a room overlooking the scenic Riverwalk. Great room service, spacious rooms and the excellent Las Canarias restaurant just across the street in La Mansion hotel. Both the Mokara and La Mansion are managed by Omni Hotels. The hotel in the Mokara is not as good, but the service is polite and speedy. Great place to spend a relaxing time. We did not try the spa.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Windermere, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This beautiful boutique hotel offers superior service, beautiful appointed rooms and a perfect location right on the famous San Antonio River Walk. The Mokara is situated so that walking to historical sites, restaurants and shopping is quick and easy, however it is on a quieter stretch of the River Walk so it is not congested. Our stay was wonderful and even though we had a slight misunderstanding and had to change rooms for one night, the staff went out of their way to make it up to us and to be certain we were satisfied, happy, and well taken care of. The staff is genuinely friendly and helpful and truly make you feel as if you are their only guest. I did walk to all of the other major hotels on the River Walk to see them for myself and nothing compared to the Mokara. I feel you won't be disappointed here.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the River Walk. There are also "Spa Suites" which surround...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Mokara was a lovely experience! The front desk staff, valet, and concierge went above and beyond to make us feel like we were in a luxury hotel. The coconut aqua fresca, traditional local drink, was a nice treat in the lobby. We booked the amour del rio package which was well worth the extra cash. It included valet parking, breakfast (in room or at Ostra restaurant), a bottle of champagne and truffles. The roof top pool had amazing chaise pool chairs with comfortable cushions and plenty of towels. Beverage service was provided even when we were in the pool. The fitness facility was also a nice surprise with more than expected and top of the line cardio equipment. Current magazines and newspapers were stocked in our room and a the fitness center. Espresso machine for a cup of early coffee also was a nice touch. Turn down service included a pair of sleep masks and a large jacuzzi tube with quality bath products added to the relaxed evening.

I cannot compliment the restaurant staff at Ostra enough. Ricky Williams, the manager, made our experience special. The food was outstanding, portions were large with a local fresh flair. We had the attention of several servers and the chef introduced himself during our meal. The breakfast included in our package was excellent and we were surprised to see breakfast served until 11:30. An added bonus is the house coffee, Peet's which we enjoy at home.

We stayed only for one day but were sorry to leave and expect to return on our next trip to San Antonio. We stayed on the evening of July 4 and the facilities, especially the pool were at max capacity. It was surprising that the service could be as good as it was over the holiday. We had one of the best views possible for the firework show.

West Columbia, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The hotel was nice. It didn't feel like a 5 star. No one greeted me by my name. No turn down service. Beds way to firm. Pool is small. Rooms had no view unless you pay $100 more a night. My room was $350 a night. Nice bathroom and spa. No special attention. Restaurant had good breakfast. I'm not staying here again because for the price, it wasn't an over the top hotel like I thought.

• Stayed June 2013
John W, General Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Mokara Hotel & Spa. I hope you will accept my sincere apologies that your visit with us was less than exceptional. I assure you that we will review your comments with our associates and leaders as part of process of continuous improvement, and we will strive to deliver the level of service Mokara has become known for every day and with every guest.

Rusty Wallace
Bluffton, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Mokara is a beautiful and elegantly appointed hotel. Located right on the river, you can have your car parked and never ask for it until check out.

First and foremost, our greatest compliments to each and every staff member we encountered. From the moment we drove up to the front entrance, valet, bell staff, front desk staff and wait staff in Ostra were incredible. Service was sincere and you are made to feel welcome in every area of the hotel.

As I state above, the hotel is more than "nice", it is beautiful. Great attention has been given to every detail.

I had booked, and received a riverfront room with balcony. As with all hotels we stay in, I requested a "top floor", which we received. Unfortunately, and this is my lack of informed knowledge, you do not want a high floor in this hotel.

We were in room 772; river view as requested. However, looking out the window and onto the balcony, our "view" was of tree tops on the river and (noisy) air conditioning and satellite dishes on the hotels and buildings across from our room. Normally, I would have made an issue of it, but we had been driving all day and we were tired and just wanted to get out on the "walk" to enjoy a drink and then some dinner.

My suggestion to the hotel would be: if someone is booking (and paying significantly for) a river view room with a request for a high floor, it would be nice if staff would explain we would probably be happier on floors 4 or 5. Also as a note of information, valet parking is $35.00 a night; so by the time parking and all room taxes are added in, your room rate is approximately $100 more than the quoted room rate.

As for the room we were in, it was huge -- very nicely decorated and had a fabulous bathroom, complete with jacuzzi tub and separate shower.

All things considered, we would still have no hesitation in recommending the Mokara.

Room Tip: If booking a river view room, be sure to request floors 4 or 5. If you are on 7 or 8, you could be...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mokara Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!