“Top Tier Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mokara Hotel and Spa

Save Saved
You added Mokara Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Mokara Hotel and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   212 W. Crockett, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Formerly Watermark Hotel and Spa) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #1 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
St. Louis
“Top Tier Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was in town on business and was set to stay across the river at Omni. That hotel filled and they moved several of us across the river to Mokara (week before we arrived). While the rooms were fine at Omni La Mansion, the rooms and entire hotel at Mokara (sister hotel) was clearly in a different league. When checking in they knew my name when I got out of the cab. The staff was very attentive at check in and did all the little things. It was the most simple check in I have ever had at a hotel. The room is as described and pictured in the other posts. I would compare the room quality on par with the rooms in Vegas at the Venetian but not as large. The room was very clean. The shower and jetted tub were very nice and vanity was large with ample space for all the things my wife brings with her. As other have noted, if you want a view, be sure to request the view. I did not bother me as I was in meetings or on the river/bars most of the time.
My wife took advantage of the spa and a haircut. She thought the staff was very good there as well. Checkout was a breeze and they once again knew my name and that I was on my way from my room to check out (are the elevators monitored for room key use?). The staff was great and there was a taxi for my trip to the airport ready for me without even saying a word.
This place is obviously top tier and they work hard to keep it that way. On my next trip I hope to enjoy the rooftop pool area a bit more.

Room Tip: I didn't really care about a view from the room so I was happy with anything. However, if you w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great hotel but my big window faced a big wall. Despite the fact that this was a basic room, I was surprised that this hotel would have a room with no view at all! No garden, courtyard, pool, nothing. If you are looking for a good hotel on the river, consider this hotel's sister property across the river: La mansion del Rio. It has a lot of rooms with balconies facing the Riverwalk and the prices are more reasonable.

Room Tip: Refuse the rooms facing "the wall"
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brent G, Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback. Our location provides several different views of downtown San Antonio and the surrounding area. Although it is not always possible for each guestroom to have a scenic view, we do make every effort to accommodate all guest requests. It is our sincere hope that we can welcome you back again soon.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was not familiar with this hotel before our stay, but good friends treated me to a long weekend for my birthday at this gorgeous hotel. I cannot say enough good things about the hotel. Great location, friendly staff, beautiful large room with a balcony overlooking the riverwalk. I could not have asked for a nicer place to stay. The bathroom alone with the large jaccuzzi tub was quite a treat. I can honestly say I have not enjoyed a hotel so much in a long, long time...if ever. Also, the restaurant, Ostra, was very good, the breakfast was great. I hope I'm fortunate enough to stay at the Mokara Hotel again some day. I would highly recommend The Mokara Hotel and Spa to anyone.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the riverwalk, corner suites are great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Summit, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

A birthday getaway to San Antonio was made even more special by staying at this wonderful hotel on the Riverwalk. From the moment of arrival to our departure, the staff at the Mokara made us feel as if we were VIP's. The hotel itself is a gem, quiet and restful, very classy without being stuffy. Our room on the 3rd floor (#372) was spacious with floor to ceiling windows looking out over the Riverwalk. Heavenly bedding and black-out drapes made it very difficult to want to get up in the mornings, but coffee on our balcony each day was very enjoyable! Dont forget to schedule some tranquil Spa time while there, the spa staff were very knowledgable and provided wonderful treatments. Dinner at the hotel restaurant our first night was delicious. The manager and staff were spot-on with service as well as recommendations. After a long day of touring the sights, Ostra, is also a great place for a late afternoon or early evening cocktail and to simply "people-watch". Phillip and Petra, as well as the entire staff, were available for any request one would have. From diner reservations, boat tickets, car, cooking school, best margaritias, local flavor ,churches or the history of the area, this staff KNOWS the business and how to treat their guests. I hope to return to this wonderful hotel and enjoy all it has to offer one day soon!

Room Tip: Loved the third floor, facing the Riverwalk room. Not noisy, great balcony.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Peaceful, tranquil, relaxing, and classy all wrapped up in one beautiful package. My wife and I were celebrating our Anniversary, recovering from the holidays, and running away from our stressful jobs all at the same time, and Mokara helped us to achieve all of it plus some. The Concierge (Philip) was wonderful and e-mailed me a few days before our arrival and had everything arranged before we even arrived, dinner, spa, recommendations, and did a wonderful job(and trust me, we are not easily pleased..hah). We were a bit leery staying here after they had changed hands(Omni) and had not stayed here since it was the Watermark, but minus a few minor snafus, we were very impressed. The Spa here is top notch, and honestly you would be a fool to stay here and not spend at least a day at the spa. The facilities are not over the top, but refined, calm, classy, relaxing, and accommodating. The therapists are the best we have experienced in quite some time, and we have been searching...seriously! In the past year we have stayed at Four Seasons Hualalai after my son's graduation, and Four Seasons Scottsdale for Thanksgiving and these Hotels and their service is second to none, but the spas at both do not hold a candle to Mokara and their wonderfully trained therapists...thank you for curing our holiday hangover :)!! Now the hotel is gorgeous, rooms could use some minor updating(slightly worn furniture, new wallpaper needed), but in order to be in the same category as the Four Seasons or Ritz, they just need to tighten a few bolts and screws...service wise. The first night all was perfect, Champagne and truffles already in the room when we checked in (great job), great drinks at the bar at Ostra, and an excellent job of turning the room down by the time we arrrived back that evening, and a great night cap at the roof top hot tub....Perfect! The second day, The day of our anniversary, still good, but definitely not perfect. Before going out to dinner at Bohannon's (wonderful by the way) I needed to ice down a nice bottle of champagne I got my wife for our anniversary. There are no ice machines accessible to guests on the floors (I get it, not a bunch of guests marching around the halls with ice buckets and making a bunch of noise, plus its a nice gesture for the guest to call and ice arrive), so we called not once, not twice, but three times to get our ice. After waiting for an hour and a half, I finally asked for the manager on duty and I spoke with Hannah, she apologized profusely and said she would personally deliver the ice...really?...wow!...she sure did 5 minutes later and also brought a wonderful chese tray (way to handle the problem Hannah, great customer service), i felt it was handeled very well but should never have gotten to that point. Come on, 3 calls, an hour and a half..and a hot bottle of champagne on my anniversary night. Before leaving to dinner I specifically called and announced we were heading out and asked if they would please make sure to turn down the room, as it was our anniversary night and after rushing to get ready for dinner the room was in a bit of disarray. Jaro, the doorman offered to drive us in the House Car, knowing that we were running late for our reservation, and got us there right on time(nice touch). Upon returning to the room (10:30 ish) we walked in and of course...no turn down service. Mind you, this is not by any means the end of the world, but 1, it was specifically requested, and 2, it was to be included as part of the rejuvenation package we booked at $524 per night. O.K, no biggie, lets head up to the rooftop hot tub again that we enjoyed so much the night before. No such luck. In our robes up to the roof, and doors are locked at 10:45...really? (Rules are rules i guess, but a hotel this small and quiet can really keep the pool and hot tub open all the time...change this rule..please..) We stiil managed to have a romantic evening with a night cap on our beautiful terrace over looking the riverwalk. One final issue our final night, water began leaking from the ceiling and woke us both up at 4:30 a.m. It quickly stopped and we did not report it until the next morning and it was nobody's fault i'm sure. But it was the icing on the cake for our Anniversary..HaH! Seriously, we will come back to this wonderful spot, the only reason i mentioned the above issues is so the Mokara can better itself and truly compete on a consistent basis with the Big guys. Because honestly, I would much rather escape here than to the big major spots in Dallas, Austin or Houston. Mokara, your great, fix the small issues, and provide the guest service 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and your easily 5 stars and an escape that all well traveled couples should experience. Thank you for a great weekend. We live in Austin, our son goes to UTSA, and we'll be seeing alot of each other im sure.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms are a must! Spend the extra $100, well worth it.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This boutique hotel is perfect! The moment you arrive you feel that "I will take good care of you". The staff is very smooth, elegant and smart. That's what I call a Top-Notch staff. The lobby is gorgeous, the finishing of the hotel are beautiful, the wall papers, the rooms, the fire place all is perfect. The room, I got upgraded, was perfect, elegant, comfortable with a great view of the river walk and absolutely quite, what else can I as for? If I come back to San Antonio this is the place to stay. A 5 Star hotel!

Room Tip: I asked for an upgrade and got it, the front desk staff said "It doesn't hurt to ask"
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This boutique hotel is by far the Riverwalk's finest accomodation, 5 stars in all respects. Be sure and get a Riverwalk view, preferably higher above the noise and crowds.

The restaurant is very good and you are a short walk away from several other great dining choices.

During busy times the Riverwalk proper can be quite crowded, but stepping into the Mokara is like entering another tranquil, upscale world.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mokara Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!