“Great value, Flavorful food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,913 of 4,090 restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Cuban
Heidelberg, DE
“Great value, Flavorful food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We ate the lunch buffet which had a very tasty soup, white rice, rice and beans, chicken, pulled pork, corn, plantains, black beans, another type of beans. It was fresh, hot, good.reataurant is clean. Service is good.nice sauces. Very busy lunch hour, but food was replaced quickly. Restaurant is about to undergo some renovations and expansion.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

37% Recommend
San Antonio, Texas
“Almost a 5, Almost a 3 - I am not sure what to rate it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I have driven by this place for years, and even almost ate there before -- it is the closest thing on Harry Wurzback to Fort Sam Houston -- pretty much the closest resturaunt to where I work! But I always passed on it until it was on The Food Networks Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, and my wife insisted we go.

The heart of my ambivilience is that it really is a DIVE, and I mean get in a submarine. The television show identifies it as a Peurto Rican place, but the signs outside call it "international" and the menu tries to be a little Cuban, a little Mexican and a little Peurto Rican... they would be better of proclaiming a cuisine.

The interior was probably put together during the Vietnam war, and hasn't been refreshed much or often since then -- the formica tables are worn through in spots, the walls are plywood with 10 coats of paint, the floor is concrete. Okay, there is the down, it is offputtingly ugly.

Here is the plus--they are very reasonable. Appetizer $2.99 and up, most entrees right at $10. The chef is the guy from the TV show, he brings you your food, everyone is very friendly. The beer is cheap (under $3).

So my eyes said 3 stars, my wallet said 5 stars, and my stomach is going to rule and split the difference. The Mofongo wasn't that great--he didn't beat on it enough, and it was kind of bland. My beef was very tough, but when I drowned it in the garlic sause, it got better. The plantain chips were awesome, the pork cubes with the Mofongo were good.

There was nothing left on my plate when I was done, and we left quite happy. Worth your time, but it will never be my regular place.

• Visited July 2012