“All I had hoped...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Pocatello, Idaho
“All I had hoped...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Riverwalk Vista was all I hoped it would be. The staff were terrific, the breakfast was exceptional, and the room was cozy. I appreciated the white noise machine. I only had to use it one night (Friday) because there were skateboarders on the cobble stone sidewalk below the window until late into the night. The noise machine took care of the problem perfectly! My colleagues staying at the larger hotels were jealous of my unusual, yet comfortable lodging. I was within easy walking distance to the Riverwalk and the Gonzales Convention Center.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at the Riverwalk Vista the first night of our week long stay in San Antonio. We were in a conference hotel after that (that was prepaid by our company). What a great way to begin our week! I wish we could have stayed there the whole week. The price was excellent, the room large and yet cozy...cookies, wine, breakfast....excellent staff/service. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in (better than the 4 star hotel bed). It is beautifully decorated. I will defintely try to stay here again...only longer. PS You can't beat the location either!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
San Angelo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My wife and I booked the Riverside Vista for our 19th Anniversary after doing quite a bit of on-line research of San Antonio hotels around the Riverwalk. Granted, it is not inexpensive but we really felt that it was a great value after our Easter weekend stay. The staff (especially David) go out of their way to accomodate you in every way possible, including restaurant recommendations and directions. The room was very nicely appointed and the bed was quite comfortable. The slate shower was awesome. Little things like cookies in the afternoon and wine in the evening were a special touch. If you require a fitness center, it might be a bit inconvenient to go down the street to use the available one and their is not a huge in house restaurant.(Who needs one with so many in a very small radius?)
The location right across the street from the Riverwalk is perfect and neither my wife or I were bothered at all by the noise that some have complained of. The white noise machine and air conditioner seemed to eliminate virtually all of the outside sounds even on a VERY busy weekend night. We will most certainly be back on our next trip to San Antonio, thanks to everone at the Vista for making this a very memorable Anniversary!
On a side note- I was greatly amused when we were approached by agents of the Wyndham Hotel and Resort chain while we were visiting the Riverwalk Mall, who indicated that they wanted our business on our next stay. They offered to give us a $75 gift card if we would ride a shuttle to the hotel and listen to a presentation expounding the virtues of their chain over the tiny Vista. Unfortunately, we did not meet the yearly income guideline for their qualifications and were promptly brushed off. Turns out that the average room at the Wyndham is about $75 cheaper than the Vista. I'm glad that the Vista didn't care about my yearly income when I booked with them, apparently my deposit and the fact that I could afford the room was just fine with them!

Room Tip: If you are concerned about noise, you may be better off on the 3rd floor, higher above the street, w...
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Perfect location. Lovely hotel. Very friendly and informative staff. Room (we got their best room -- the hugman) was georgous and huge. Breakfast was great. Afternoon cookies were yummy. The hotel is a little pricey but you definitely get what you pay for.

Spain ...... but Scottish
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Very close to the Riverwalk & to the Alamo site. Large well appointed room with a comfortable bed and bathroom with good sized walk in shower. Several comfortable lounge areas, some with good views towards the riverwalk. Good breakfast and tea & coffee always available. Cookies at 3pm and wine at 6 were nice touches. Inn keepers were very pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: A room facing away from the riverwalk will be quieter. We had College Vista whch we loved. Beware of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Topeka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

If your the type of person the needs Starbucks in the lobby and bell boys waiting on you, this is not the hotel for you.
If you are looking for a retreat that is located in the most perfect spot of the Riverwalk, the Vista is for you.
All I can say was that my wife and I plus my parents felt completely relaxed and at home during our stay.
The owners of the hotel have repurposed this old grocery warehouse perfectly.
Thanks for the hospitality.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms overlooking the Riverwalk.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Keswick, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Vista is located across the street from the River Walk and around the corner from the Alamo. It is located adjacent to the very busy and noisy Commerce Street, a favorite byway for Harley owners at night and a main thoroughfare for the high decibel street cleaner machine in the wee hours. Although the street-side rooms are equipped with white noise machines posted on each bed headboard, be sure to bring CVS-issued ear plugs if you actually plan to rest at night.
The hotel occupies the second and third floors of an historic building now converted into a McDonald's and a five and dime store (showing my age here!) on the first-floor, Commerce Street side.
Old pine floors, aged oak furniture and large street-side windows make up the room, with a small bureau but large closet serving as storage. The comfortable queen bed faced the now mandatory flat screen. If you watch tv in San Antonio, you are really missing out on all the fun, day and night.
The bathroom was the best part of our room, whose plastic noise barrier on the right side window was as opaque as the water channeled along the River Walk. It had a Hill Country-tiled, glass door shower, commodious enough to accommodate a party of four (get creative, dear reader), featuring the latest in adjustable shower arms. Great shower too. The sink was small, but large enough to have his and her toiletries parked on either side. Breakfast is available each morning, offering both hot and col food options. An enjoyable wine hour is extended each evening from 4-6PM gratis. The dining area, with its large library tables, has 1930's music piped in via Sirius all day long, creating a fun nostalgic feel. The Vista is highly recommended for the adventurous traveler who likes the quirky and idiosyncratic and eschews the conformity of the hotel chains. But if this traveler is not lucky enough to book an inside room, be prepared for the evening cacophony of motorcycle motors, cleaning trucks, locomotive whistles and inebriated voices entering McDonalds below. And be sure to pick up earplugs at the CVS, located within a half block north on the east side of the River Walk.

Room Tip: 3rd floor, as far away from Commerce Street as possible
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riverwalk Vista? Share your experiences!